Riced veggies in place of rice

Hi there - I'm obsessed with rice and have been trying to incorporate riced cauliflower and broccoli into dishes to fool myself (usually use trader joe's raw version). Anyone have recipes they love using these? My favorite right now is basically a taco dip with riced cauli and broccoli sauteed, hamburger, shredded cheese with sour cream and salsa... delish. Thanks for any new ideas!

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I don't like either of those, but use carrot a lot and sometimes butternut squash.
    I tend to use a fine spiraliser blade, then cut squares across the spiralised spread to produce short thin segments.
    I tend to have the carrot raw these days.

Sure, it's not exactly like rice, but I enjoy it none the less and it's a good lot less calories. Having it cold means I can dump a hot freshly cooked curry onto it, mix it a bit and it's ready to eat.

I'll go for longer ones to replace pasta in bolognese, or a stir fry but shorter for curries etc.
    Mostly just ready meals for the curries.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    For zoodles I like this: http://inspiralized.com/harissa-zucchini-spaghetti-skillet-with-kale-chickpeas-and-poached-eggs/

My favorite way to eat riced cauliflower (because I hate cauliflower) is under black beans (which have been beefed up with onion, garlic, and green pepper...and Sazon Goya of course) alongside a well-spiced baked chicken thigh. Beans go in a skillet to warm/incorporate the veg while the chicken roasts; riced cauli just goes in the microwave at the end.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    The cauliflower pizza crust is good, but for the life of me I cannot get it to become anything more than a casserole when I make it myself...the casserole is good, but the fork is required. Just bake the cauliflower in a dish with the pizza topping and sauce of your choice. Recently tried it as "fried rice" with chicken and veggies and was pleasantly surprised. The texture was odd when I used riced cauliflower in a burrito bowl, but the taste was good.

Mashed cauliflower is also good as a "twice baked potato" or on top of a Shepherd's Pie, in place of mashed potatoes.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017
    I prefer other grains to rice--farro, freekeh, barley. Gets you more protein than white rice. But for any rice substitute: indian lentils, veggie stirfry, curry, jerk chicken, tabouleh... I imagine these would work well with riced veggies.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I usually just do mashed cauliflower with butter, salt, pepper, and garlic...kind of similar to mashed potatoes, total yum.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Riced cauliflower just isn't rice. I actually like cauliflower but I just don't try to use it as a rice replacement. I just eat it as a veggie I like.
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have never tried this but I love cauliflower. When you say "riced" cauliflower does that just mean finely shredded?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    You can also bulk up your rice with cauliflower (or other riced veggie) instead of replacing the rice completely. You can cut the calories and get more food out of it while still enjoying the rice. I do this for other things too - instead of mashed cauliflower, I'll mix cauliflower and a few potatoes. The texture is a little richer and creamier, closer to real mashed potatoes.

For stir-fry or something like Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken, try it over raw broccoli slaw. The hot food + cold, crunchy texture is pretty satisfying.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/cauliflower-tots/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I have never tried this but I love cauliflower. When you say "riced" cauliflower does that just mean finely shredded?

I blitz it in the food processor until it's the right size. I've seen people grate it too.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I usually just do mashed cauliflower with butter, salt, pepper, and garlic...kind of similar to mashed potatoes, total yum.

Love mashed cauliflower and believe it or not, mashed broccoli as well...
  • hughjazz74

yes, you've got it! I've shredded by hand with a cheese grater, chopped in food processor as others have said and easiest is to buy already shredded or "riced"...if you have a Trader Joe's, they have good options raw and frozen.
  • JBashkoff
    JBashkoff Posts: 14 Member
    I do a dirty rice with riced cauliflower and chicken andouille sausage that is delicious!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

mashed broccoli? I don't know about that. I hate mushy broccoli.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I really like the riced cauliflower on the hot bar at whole foods, but I haven't been able to replicate it at home yet with any success. Some day.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    I like to mix it with lentils, kinda inspired by the middle eastern mujaddara dish, which is rice and lentils topped with caramelized onions. I end up adding whatever veggies I have on hand (plus bacon), so its not really the same, but still delicious.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

mashed broccoli? I don't know about that. I hate mushy broccoli.

Mushy broccoli smashed into cheese sauce and smothered on a baked potato is my jam!
  • hughjazz74
    Thanks all for keeping this going, love these new ideas!