How to get in more potassium without spending too much calories?

Options
I've been tracking all of my nutrition for about a year now as I'm on a low cal diet for weight loss. i'm doing fine with tracking and losing weight, but I'm noticing that I NEVER hit my potassium goal. I've tried really hard to combat this with potassium rich foods, but I have a limited amount of calories to spend and I have to get in enough protein within those calories. What am i doing wrong? What can I do to get more potassium without adding significantly to my calorie total?

Typical daily intake:
Breakfast: protein shake mixed with coffee
Lunch: grilled chicken on top of salad greens topped with either walnuts/banana/strawberry or avocado/pumpkin seeds/cranberry
Snack: popcorn usually, though I don't always snack at all
Dinner: lean protein, steamed veggies

I eat about 1000 to 1100 calories a day. Any advice?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Most foods have more potassium than sodium. Most people get enough potassium. If you need to track it, as in recommenede by your doctor, make sure potassium is filled in, or it won't show up in your tracker.

Now don't undereat. 1200 calories is the bare minimum for women. But you have to log correctly to avoid eating more than you think you are.

I would also recommend focusing on a balanced and varied diet.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than that. 1,200 is considered the bare minimum for women (unless you're on a Dr. monitored program).
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    mushrooms - USDA data 100g contains 318mg potassium for 22 calories
    coffee - 8oz cup contains 116mg potassium
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never hit the potassium goal even thouugh everything else is balanced and within range. I wonder if it.is. being logged correctly.
  • megs4413
    megs4413 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    You need to eat more than that. 1,200 is considered the bare minimum for women (unless you're on a Dr. monitored program).

What's the reasoning behind that? I've been on this diet for a while, but I didn't ask a doctor about it or anything. I just used the BMR calculator and subtracted 1000.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't well-represented in the database numbers here because it wasn't a required listed nutrient on food labels. Look up a list of potassium-rich foods and incorporate them into your diet. And maybe eat a little more :neutral:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    megs4413 wrote: »

What's the reasoning behind that? I've been on this diet for a while, but I didn't ask a doctor about it or anything. I just used the BMR calculator and subtracted 1000.

The reasoning is that it's very difficult (as you're finding) to meet your nutritional needs on 1,000 calories a day.

A 1,000 calorie deficit isn't appropriate for everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I've never hit the potassium goal even thouugh everything else is balanced and within range. I wonder if it.is. being logged correctly.

Potassium isn't required on food labels and since that's where most of the database entries are derived from, it's not included in the entry.

Most people aren't potassium deficient unless they're really eating a crappy diet.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a lot of entries won't have potassium listed, so you may be getting more than you think. Also, if you are that worried about your potassium levels, couldn't you just take a supplement? Oh, and unless you are very, very short, you need more than 1000 calories a day for your health.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Use the MFP "Guided Set Up." The rational is that a 20% calorie deficit is a lot--- more than enough to lose weight. http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A cup of egglands best egg whites has 133 calories/27g of protein/400mg of potassium. Seems like this might fit the bill.

You need to verify this yourself with the usda database

ETA
    You're body can only get so much energy a day from your fat stores. So unless your doctor tells you otherwise you shouldn't go below 1200 calories a day because your body will break muscle down as needed. That also means you need to eat back exercise calories
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that if you're really concerned about whether you're getting enough potassium, your levels should show up in routine bloodwork. I'm chronically low on potassium and do supplement it, per my doctor's recommendation. We found my deficiency through the bloodwork we do at my annual physical. My doctor orders a CBC and a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel every year and my potassium levels are part of the metabolic panel.

And just as a warning, you should definitely talk to your doctor before trying to supplement potassium beyond dietary changes. A key role of potassium in your body is to regulate blood pressure and heart rhythm--things I personally don't want to fiddle with on my own. It's also actually pretty difficult to become clinically low on potassium. Your body has a lot of safeguards against that happening.
  • megs4413
    megs4413 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My heart rhythm has been off for almost two weeks now, which is why I'm concerned about my potassium. I guess maybe it's time to consult a doc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My heart rhythm has been off for almost two weeks now, which is why I'm concerned about my potassium. I guess maybe it's time to consult a doc.

Yeah, I wouldn't try to self-diagnose a heart problem. Get to the doctor!
  • TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Low sodium v8 has a lot of potassium. Low magnesium can also impact heart arrhythmias- I take a magnesium supplement as recommended by my cardiologist and it helps quite a bit. I had a procedure to correct one type of arythmia but still had a lot of small episodes that have decreased w the magnesium
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Ya, I think that'd be the way to go. I know it's checked on my yearly blood work and it's never low, although like you, on mfp it looks like I'm severely lacking potassium.

I keep my calories 950-1230 on average. I don't buy the 1200 calories. My doc never said eat this, don't eat that much. So who is the almighty authority to say I can't have 900 or 4000 calories a day if I wanna? I think here, it sends a red flag for an eating disorder. If you have one, seek help. If not kept doing what works for you. Just remember to cycle it on and off.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Efficient (high nutrient, low calorie) potassium foods are: mushrooms, spinach, coconut water, protein shakes, tomatoes (fresh, sauce, paste), avocado, pomegranate. I have high BP so my goal is 3,500 mg of potassium a day-which is difficult to reach without protein shakes with about 600-700mg of potassium - these are the higher end shakes and Muscle Milk has a "pro" series shake at about 200 cals, 40g protein, and 700mg potassium. As you probably know, your calorie needs are determined by your age (metabolic rate), height, weight you want to be, and your activity level. I'd recommend getting your doc's input on where you should be, and how to get there-there really are no absolutes on calories, etc.-especially without knowing from where you're starting. My doc was great in helping me make some adjustments to my diet that made a great difference.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your spices? Quite a few of them are high in potassium but have little to no calories. Turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, dried dill weed (leaf), and cumin seeds all have 100mg potassium per Tablespoon.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ]megs4413 wrote

No wonder your calories are so low. You have to times the BMR by your activity level then subtract the appropriate number of calories. If you BMR is 2000 and you are sedentary you'd times it by 1.25 so that your N.E.AT. would be 2500 minus 1000 calories for 2 lbs./week leaves 1500 calories. Why don't you just let MFP calculate it for you?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

It you think your heart rhythm is off, you need to have it assessed today.

Go to the hospital.