Expanding my world of protein...maybe...

Options
2»

Replies

• AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Near me is a meat market that I did not know. An Uber driver told me that it was a good supplier, so I wandered in and found meats that were somewhat exotic to my experience. I bought a pound of ground bison, which works and tastes just like beef, but with lower fat and a better Omega-3/Omega-6 profile, and sausages made of alligator and pork. The alligator is a dry white meat like chicken, so the sausage needed a fatty complementary meat. The sausage tasted good and worked well in the dishes I used.

Be brave. Seek out local supplies of venison, moose, goose, and anything else that wanders the Canadian countryside. You'll enjoy it.

Oh I will be for sure! I have the itch so now I just need to source it!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Lots of farmers markets and places that will often have things you can try that they cooked as samples

Guinea fowl is like chicken only tastier (as it is game) and produces a great gravy

rabbit is tender and goes dry if over cooked but is delicious

venison is my go to

Have you considered offal? In particular liver? has to be super fresh.

Calves & chicken my favs, really nutritious
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Buffalo is pretty tasty.
    Insects are another protein source if you want to challenge yourself with something that isn't fuzzy and cute.
    Quinoa
    Do you dislike refried beans, falafel or hummus?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Lentils, don't forget lentils.
    I love lentil curries. They can be so varied in spices and heat, can be made in bulk and frozen, and go with so many other dishes as the main or the side.

Cheers, h.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    @rickinnercirclebet - Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking...I might be a little late for this season but will scope them out for sure and I think there is a market tomorrow...very small but worth checking out. Also going to call around to a few butchers and see where that leads.

Omg I just googled an image search on offal. No - I don't think I am there...that may take a little more time if I EVER get there. I've heard great things though!

@Lounmoun - I've heard buffalo is a good meat but haven't seen it sold around here...will check the markets. Insects, while a good protein source, are not something I am interested in. :) I appreciate the idea but just not for me. Love quinoa and hummus yum!
  • jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Venison is a great option, lean, tasty and sustainable. Far less fat than beef lamb and pork which means you can eat more for the same calories and therefore get more protein in.

Rabbit is lovely, my favourite meat in fact. Need some cooking skill to get it right.

Guinea fowl is a good poultry option too.

I concur.
    Venison (and Veal, if you're feeling brave), Rabbit, Duck, Goose, Partridge, Boar, Hare... All excellent. Hare is a challenge, though.
    Maybe try exploring some fish as well? Haddock and Cod are all well and good, but Sea Bass, Bream, Mackerel, are decent. Monkfish is brilliant, if you can get hold of it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AshEvelynn wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    AshEvelynn wrote: »
    Ok...so here is my other battle...

Venturing into this new idea, (unlike pork, beef, chicken and seafood maybe because I was brought up on these?) I have an image in my mind of fuzzy big eyed animals skipping around a green lawn and enjoying the sunshine which is making it very hard to see them on my plate. Any thoughts on how to see past this? Even if I eat it, will I ever not see this?

@EHollander89 - Maybe I should go out for dinner and experience it that way first? That might take the stress part out for me...

@rickinnercirclebet - Wow, you have a very well rounded palate! Awesome!

Well, chickens, cows, and pigs are animals, too, and you've eaten those all your life. I get that eating a different animal is a bit different but if you rationalize it, I think you'd be ok.

Good suggestions so far. The only thing I'll add is wild meat is a bit different to cook, so don't write it off right away if it doesn't taste right the first time. It takes some practice and varies from each type of meat.

I do struggle with it as well, don't get me wrong. I grew up on a farm and despite being told not to, I would name all our cows/pigs/chickens all and then not understand when my pets went missing. Obviously growing up, I understand but it comes back from time to time. I think my struggle for these different animals is because I have had some as pets but that is why I'm honestly asking how to 'NOT' see this. It was just a thought..
    Only you can answer this for yourself. My solution is to quietly give thanks for the animal that gave its life for my food. All animals die eventually, including us. My personal belief is that since people are a part of this world, we have the same right to eat things that nourish us as all the other creatures in the world. But that doesn't mean we have to be jerks about it. Rather than pretending that the things I eat were never alive, I think I should be mindful of my place in the world and try to be worthy of the resources I consume.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    don't forget daily. A cup of full fat cottage cheese has 24gr protein for about 220 calories. Greek yogurt has 23gr protein per cup for about 170 calories
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ostrich is fabulous!
    Super-lean, high protein, cooks quickly and like steak but better!

(I have issues with meat with visible or identifiable bones. Chicken quarters where you can see the spine and ribs? UGH! I much prefer things to come pre-filleted or similar.)
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    @rheddmobile - Well said. Thank you, I appreciate the perspective.

@Calliope610 - Mmmm I love cottage cheese! My go to breakfast!

@cs2thecox - Will have to give that a try!