Fairly new but not getting results - could do with a bit of

Options
...moral support!!

Hi there! This is my first post so hope it's in the right place etc!

I put on quite a lot of weight during my uni finals as I was chained to a desk for many hours per day and always being tempted to snack/comfort eat the stress away during breaks etc, so I put on about 12-14lbs since this time last year, which I'm now hoping to lose. But despite now being much more active and trying to eat much healthier than I did during exams etc, stick to MFP regimey etc I just don't seem to be shifting the weight! :@( I've been trying for a month now and only seem to have shifted 2-3 pounds!

I'm 5ft 7 (and a half) and currently weigh 142 lbs, I would love to get down to around 130 lbs which isn't a great deal of weight but I just can't seem to shift it!!! I would consider myself fairly active as I have 3 horses who I look after each day and ride 5-6 times per week. I also compete one horse quite seriously so the exercise from riding is quite high level as riding goes, quite a lot of galloping and serious dressage etc which is quite high muscle usage! On top of daily riding I do a pilates class once or twice per week and go for a couple of hours hill walk in the evenings once a week, I also have a dog who I take for a 1-2 hour walk at least once per week (she's a working dog so is working the rest of the time and doesn't need daily walks), . I'm a fairly keen gardener so am often doing that and I also live on a farm so I do potter up and down the lane several times a day which all adds up I guess! I certainly have quite a few exercise calories to add to my 1200 ration at least 6 days per week!

Also we eat pretty healthily, lots and lots of fresh vegetables, chicken, fish, red meat about once per week. We probably have a takeaway or eat out at our local pub about once per fortnight (but I do try to go for healthier options). I do have a sweet tooth though and try to stick to munching 2 rich tea buscuits which are quite low calorie to allay my sugar cravings but obviously count those in my daily calories anyway!

When I signed up I put lightly active as it gives the example of a nurse who must be on their feet all the time but I don't think I run around as much as a waitress, so quite confused about what my activity level should be. I just feel contantly starving on 1200 calories which means I pick at stuff which adds up. But despite this I usually do enough exercise calories to cover any picking.

Just feeling quite fed up and would love to hear if anyone else out there has any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or has been in a similar situation.

Replies

• kerlyp
    kerlyp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pounds on the scale is not the only way to see if you are losing weight. You should also measure your inches around your chest, waist and hips. This will give you a better indication of whether or not you are actually losing weight. You may also want to use the recommended daily caloric intake MFP recommends. Eating fewer calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode. I am 5'2" and my caloric intake is supposed to be 1200; I'm sure yours is more.
    I hope this helps. Be encouraged, losing a pound a week is ideal. You did not put this weight on overnight and you're not going to lose it that weight either.
  • SLDONOHUE
    SLDONOHUE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged. It may take time to see actual results, but know that eating healthy and getting exercise are the best things you can do to become a healthier you. In time you will see the weight drop off and more importantly you will notice that you have more energy and are feeling better about yourself. The less weight you have to lose the harder it is. Be strong and know that you are doing the right things:smile:
  • hels_bells
    Options
    Aww thanks so much both of you, I feel a bit better already! I wonder if I should change my goal from 2lb per week to 1lb to give a few extra calories as MFP suggests I should be on 1200 calories and I'm just really struggling with it!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    First of all do you eat the calories you burn in exercise? You probably should as you burn a lot and I cannot imagine that 1200 calories covers what you need. That way to lose fat is with a moderate caloric deficit. If you are not obese don't set your per week weight loss goal any higher than 1 pound. Yes that is slow, but it is a much better, healthier rate.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your goal. You are close to you goal and it's getting harder to loose that much-2lbs. is a lot a week. Plus you are very active, if your body doesn't get the cals. you will not loose. Change your goal to 1 lbs/week even 0.5/week and see how that goes. Don't get discouraged. Keep it up!
  • hels_bells
    Options
    Thanks Jim - your advise makes sense, I do certainly have to eat most of my exercise calories as I just can't manage on 1200, I think I will take your and Daninevi's advice and switch down to 1lb per week!