Smith Machine/Squat Rack

Options
Hello.
Hope this doesn't sound stupid, and hopefully I'm posting under the proper forum!
I utilized the Smith Machine to do all my squats, box squats and so forth because I don't have a spotter in the gym, and I won't ask someone, so with that said, I'm starting a new program next week, and need to start squatting in the squat rack, any tips advice and or feedback to transition over, with out utilizing a spotter?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Thick_n_Fit_Mom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    The squat rack at my gym has two bars that extend from the rack that can be adjusted in height. Adjust those to JUST below your squatting depth and, if you get maxed out on a squat just rest the bar on those arms and crawl out from under. Built in spotter.

Thank you!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most squat racks have adjustable safety bars.

You're going to have to go lighter than you were on the Smith Machine and it will feel completely different...work on form first and check your ego at the door.

Thank you!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    Mark Bell and Silent Mike are great youtube intros too!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Also - start much lighter than you are used to with the Smith Machine. Not only is the bar only 15# on a smith you don't work out a lot of your supporting muscles and they may be weak. Take it easy until you get a feel for how much weight you can really handle.
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Also - start much lighter than you are used to with the Smith Machine. Not only is the bar only 15# on a smith you don't work out a lot of your supporting muscles and they may be weak. Take it easy until you get a feel for how much weight you can really handle.

Thank you! I knew not to go as heavy as I did utilizing the Smith Machine, I was squatting my Body weight, about 157 lbs in different rep range...I'll practice with bar/and form right out the gate! If I can pull, I can squat!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    As other's have said, check the ego at the door. I stuck with just the bar for weeks before starting to add weight.

As you add weight, if your gym allows, shoot side vids of you squatting and then review them compared to good squat vids (Mark Bell, Alan Thrall, Mark Riptoe, ect.). Make form corrections before they become an issue.

Actually, it doesn't hurt to shoot vids from all angles to make sure you see everything to make adjustments if needed.
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    As other's have said, check the ego at the door. I stuck with just the bar for weeks before starting to add weight.

As you add weight, if your gym allows, shoot side vids of you squatting and then review them compared to good squat vids (Mark Bell, Alan Thrall, Mark Riptoe, ect.). Make form corrections before they become an issue.

Actually, it doesn't hurt to shoot vids from all angles to make sure you see everything to make adjustments if needed.

Great info, thanks!
  • ptcampgymokc
    ptcampgymokc Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Hope this doesn't sound stupid, and hopefully I'm posting under the proper forum!
    I utilized the Smith Machine to do all my squats, box squats and so forth because I don't have a spotter in the gym, and I won't ask someone, so with that said, I'm starting a new program next week, and need to start squatting in the squat rack, any tips advice and or feedback to transition over, with out utilizing a spotter?
    Thanks in advance!

My main advise is to start much lighter in weight. There is going to be more strain on you stabilizer muscles and thus more effort per rep.
    Best of luck!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    Hello.
    Thanks in advance!

My main advise is to start much lighter in weight. There is going to be more strain on you stabilizer muscles and thus more effort per rep.
    Best of luck!

Thank you! Appreaciate your input!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    So this evening, due to stubbed index finger, awaiting healing, I'm sort of limited in the gym. But I did practice in the squat rack, with unloaded BB, focusing on footing/form... felt awkward and I'm sure I looked awkward, wasn't wearing proper shoes either, maybe that's why I felt like I was tipping forward. Normal for first time?
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Woman, squat barefooted. Shoes are for going to work and parties.

I do squat/deadlift barefoot, and in heels!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    felt awkward and I'm sure I looked awkward, wasn't wearing proper shoes either, maybe that's why I felt like I was tipping forward. Normal for first time?

What kind of shoes were you wearing? It is not abnormal for people to squat in socks or very thin shoes. I've used wrestling shoes and I wore Five Finger shoes as well.
    I don't think I could go barefoot in a public gym for fear of what other people's feet leave on the mats.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Smith machines should only be used to line dry wet clothes.

I like to use it for inverse rows and as I'm so short, I can hang from the bar when it's in the top position. Oh and I use it to hold on to when practising the flick part of my roundhouse kicks. Wouldn't use it to squat, bench etc like some people at the gym do though.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    So this evening, due to stubbed index finger, awaiting healing, I'm sort of limited in the gym. But I did practice in the squat rack, with unloaded BB, focusing on footing/form... felt awkward and I'm sure I looked awkward, wasn't wearing proper shoes either, maybe that's why I felt like I was tipping forward. Normal for first time?

That might just be because of the difference between the free movement and the Smith machine movement, although it depends is your Smith was angled or vertical how different it might feel.

If your core isn't used to it, I guess you might be a bit inclined to tip forward a bit at the bottom of the movement.
    Just try and keep awareness of the weight distribution across your feet - I was taught roughly equal between heel and big toe.

And be consistent in your shoes. I find it slippy in bare feet so wear New Balance Minimus trainers which have a very thin, flat sole. I personally don't like having any heel lift.
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Options
    felt awkward and I'm sure I looked awkward, wasn't wearing proper shoes either, maybe that's why I felt like I was tipping forward. Normal for first time?

What kind of shoes were you wearing? It is not abnormal for people to squat in socks or very thin shoes. I've used wrestling shoes and I wore Five Finger shoes as well.
    I don't think I could go barefoot in a public gym for fear of what other people's feet leave on the mats.

Converse mainly. I was actually kidding about squatting in my bare feet, but I do when I dead lift. I'm not worried about what I can contract, I go right home and shower, and I attend a small gym, not alot of traffic in the deadlift area.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never had a spotter when doing squats. Those bars are there in case I can't get back up hahaha...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Smith machines should only be used to line dry wet clothes.

I use the Smith machine for hip thrusts, much easier to set up and the bar doesn't roll sideways and hurt my hips.

Just wanted to say that shoes do make a huge difference, I tried squatting in my running shoes once and it was hopeless. I feel slippy in my socks so I use a pair of old tennies which are very flat.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I didn't realize flat shoes were that important. I don't think I have any though. I've always just worn my regular tennis shoes (running shoes)