Hard time reaching daily calories

Options
Nomseys
Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a 5'6 female with a calorie goal of 1200. I eat a paleo diet due to autoammune issues and inflammation. I weight 155lbs. I eat around 30% protein, 25% fat, and 45% carbs. At the end of the day I always feel full but struggle to hit my calories. I find myself often scarfing down late night snacks just to hit 1100 calories. Does anyone else have this problem or tips?

Replies

• Jakerileyw78
    Jakerileyw78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a 5'11" male and I definitely have this problem. I've been trying to gain weight, right now I'm 174, and it seems impossible. With school and work it's hard to find time to eat my calorie goals and still eat somewhat healthy. My calorie goal is upper 2000's. I know I could just supplement some mass gainer or something but I try to stick with Whole Foods most of the time. You're definitely not alone here
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food and measure my fruit, vegetables, liquids, ect. Yes I am set to two lbs a week. I mainly got back on MFP to track my eating and make sure I was hitting enough calories ect.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Weigh all solids, including fruit and higher cal (starchy) vegetables at least. Measuring should only be used for liquids.

It's hard to suggest what to add to increase your cals without knowing your specific food intolerances, but things like nuts and nut butters, full fat dairy (if you eat dairy), avocado, oils for your salad dressings and cooking etc will all increase your calories without adding much volume. Basically, ditch the 'diet' mentality and eat whatever foods you like (and can), just within your calorie allowance.

And drop your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week. Faster is not better ;)
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are days I'm just not hungry and don't meet my 1200 calories, but typically I make up for it the next day and go over. I get fuller on high protein days. I distribute my calories throughout the day and that way I can make sure I stay on track...breakfast @250, lunch @300, dinner @450, and snacks @200. I eat small portions of whole foods making sure I get a good balance of macros. A handful of nuts are a good way to add on 150 calories or so without having to force too much food down.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sorry, are you trying to lose weight, or gain weight?

If losing, you had no problem getting overweight in the first place. Relax and eat a daily treat.

If trying to gain, there's a whole forum with lots of advice.

Best wishes.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Heh, I have issues keeping a meal under 1100, not sure how people have issues getting enough in. Peanut butter sandwich? I mean even a normal sandwich for me is about 500 not counting the chips.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I do weigh my food and measure my fruit, vegetables, liquids, ect. Yes I am set to two lbs a week. I mainly got back on MFP to track my eating and make sure I was hitting enough calories ect.

you dont have enough weight to lose to aim for 2lb per week in a healthy way.

and, peanut butter.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    More nutrient dense Paleo friendly options will help you reach your goal - almond butter, nuts and seeds, avocado, sweet potato, and coconut/olive oils are all examples of ways to get more calories without much more volume.

If you do primal at all, add some cheese to your foods!

I also agree with the other posters that your goal is too aggressive. Eat more. Recognize that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck.