Handling after-workout, 2-day soreness

Options
TaffyBranwyn
TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a newbie to working out... couple of months.
I do 50 squats/day, split up throughout the day... 10 here, 10 there so I don't injure myself.
Built up to using 10-lb weights... began with none, then 2, then 5, then when too easy, went to 10.
I also built up to 50 squats... began with just 5/day.
I do a basic squat, not too deep, with the weights resting on my thighs & nothing more complex than that, yet. I want to get used to these for awhile before I begin deeper and/or different types of squats.

After 4-5 days in a row, my legs are very sore, so much so that I have to take off 2-days as I'm walking a bit stiffly & have to slowly push myself up with my arms each time I stand... I look like your old grandma trying to get up... it's not painful at all... just stiff & sore. If I try to do squats during those 2-days, my legs fail me & I can't get up without putting the weights down & pushing myself up. Again, no pain, just weakness, stiffness, sore.

BTW, for the 4-5 days, there is no soreness at all... it begins that following day when I wake up. Also, it's been that way all along, even when I was using no weight & doing far less/day.

My q's are:

1. Do I just continue doing the same & take off 2-days when I need it? It seems to me, if I can do them that day, that's good & when my body says stop, I stop. Logical, right? And, building muscle does require a bit of soreness, if I'm correct.
2. Do I decrease the amount of squats or weight? Or, do them without weight?
3. Should I separate workout days & do squats every other day?

BTW, this happens no matter which exercise I do. If I'm doing mild Hatha yoga or stretching, I get sore after 4-5 days in a row, too. Is it that I'm just new to exercising?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Take rest days in between. Rest is important for your muscles!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons of squatting everyday. You are getting stronger but you are not giving your body time to rest. Your muscles need time to recover. Maybe try squatting on alternate days.

This.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Squat every other day, decrease the reps and increase the weights.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    Okay, beautiful, All... it's unanimous. Thank you so much for your replies. I'll switch to every other day & see how that goes. Cheers.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    Just wanted to update. Since Mon, I've just exercised every other day & so far, so good. Strangely, I'm sore all the time now... not so that stiffness inhibits my movement, like before, just that I notice an overall soreness all the time.

I'll just keep at it at the same pace & see how it goes for the month. Then I'll assess if I can move forward & add in other exercises. Right now, I feel if I do, I'll regret it.

Thank you again.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. Increase weights? If I'm sore all the time now from 5 & 10-lb weights, why would I want to increase? Isn't that looking for an injury?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    150to123 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. Increase weights? If I'm sore all the time now from 5 & 10-lb weights, why would I want to increase? Isn't that looking for an injury?

I squat three days a week, and my legs are always sore. That does not keep my from increasing the weight. As long as you are resting and using proper form.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Google DOMS and foam rolling
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I squat three days a week, and my legs are always sore. That does not keep my from increasing the weight. As long as you are resting and using proper form.

Thank you for clarifying, CG. Having never lifted weights or done squats, for some reason I thought once over the muscle learning hump, pain no longer happened, like beginning with short walks & building up to long ones.

But, here's the thing. Now that I'm only doing squats every other day, I can't do as many & although I'm not experiencing the same kind of soreness, I am still stiff AND significantly weaker. It's really an effort to do half of what I normally do, so that's what I'm doing... I've decreased from 50-70 to 30 only & bumped down from 5-10 lbs to only 5's. I'm too weak to use the 10s, all of a sudden.

I'm a little frustrated. Would you suggest just doing what I can & continuing with the same schedule with the bumped down weight? I'll also do stretching & hatha yoga more... I only do that twice/wk, but it seems like I'd most benefit from easing those tightened muscles.

• TaffyBranwyn
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Google DOMS and foam rolling

From Wiki: "Delayed onset muscle soreness is one symptom of exercise-induced muscle damage. The other is acute muscle soreness, which appears during and immediately after exercise." And,

"Delayed onset muscle soreness can be reduced or prevented by gradually increasing the intensity of a new exercise program... Soreness can theoretically be avoided by limiting exercise to concentric and isometric contractions."

Thank you, NWine. The above makes me feel as if it's saying I"m doing too much. Honestly, I can't think of anything less to do... 50 squats spread throughout the day isn't much at all. I'm a bit stuck as to whether I should drop the # of squats or perhaps do them sans weight or both.

I have a foam roller, but since it's the tops of my thighs that get stiff & sore, not the back, I'll have to figure out how to roll that area. I'll search for a few YTube vids.

I was using Joyce Vedra's books to begin, but even her beginner's routine felt like it was too much for me... just far too many exercises. She says nonsense, push through it. I'm kind of stuck now & am unsure which way to proceed.

Tomorrow, I'll begin walking more (in place of squats), will do stretching/yoga 3-times/wk & maybe squat twice/wk. I can't think of what else to do & definitely don't want to stop. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thank you Everyone!
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would consider doing 3 days a week, heavy, medium, and light.

EXAMPLE:
    Monday heavy: 3x5 and 1xAMRAP* (starting at 65% of your 1 rep max and increasing the weight by 2.5% each week if you get more than 8 and down 2.5% the next week if you get less than 5, between 5-8 you keep the weight the same). Until you work up to 85%, then you could deload for a week (volume, not intensity, do heavy sets of doubles or triples), then test the following week and start over after that.

Wednesday - light 3x10 (could be a different type of squat, front, box, or Zercher for example).

Friday - medium 5x5

For soreness, I find the best thing is to just keep moving and stretching.

*AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible
  • TaffyBranwyn
    Options

EXAMPLE:
    Monday heavy: 3x5 and 1xAMRAP* (starting at 65% of your 1 rep max and increasing the weight by 2.5% each week if you get more than 8 and down 2.5% the next week if you get less than 5, between 5-8 you keep the weight the same). Until you work up to 85%, then you could deload for a week (volume, not intensity, do heavy sets of doubles or triples), then test the following week and start over after that.

Wednesday - light 3x10 (could be a different type of squat, front, box, or Zercher for example).

Friday - medium 5x5

FWF, thank you for replying & for your help. I'm going to repeat this back, as I'm a newbie to weights, so want to ensure I understand. As a note, I have 2 10-lb, 2 5-lb & 4 2-lb hand weights.

Mon, 10-lb weights. 3 sets of 5 reps & then work to failure.
    Wed, 2-lb weights. 3 sets of 10 reps.
    Fri, 5-lb weights. 5 sets of 5 reps.

As to the calculations (& to make corrections to the above routine), beginning with 65% of 1 rep max (which is my 10-lb weight, cuz that's the max I can lift, right?) = 6.5-lbs. So, for the heavy day, I should begin with 6.5-lbs for 1-wk, rather than 10, then increase to approx 6.66-lbs (2.5%). Now I'm lost... with the <5 or 5-8... what is that referring to?

My additional q's would be:
    * Isn't working to failure not good? I've heard that it can result in injury.
    * Why am I doing the 2.5 increase with the heavy day only? Or, am I increasing all weight by 2.5%/wk?

Thank you again for your time!

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

FWF, thank you for replying & for your help. I'm going to repeat this back, as I'm a newbie to weights, so want to ensure I understand. As a note, I have 2 10-lb, 2 5-lb & 4 2-lb hand weights.

As to the calculations (& to make corrections to the above routine), beginning with 65% of 1 rep max (which is my 10-lb weight, cuz that's the max I can lift, right?) = 6.5-lbs. So, for the heavy day, I should begin with 6.5-lbs for 1-wk, rather than 10, then increase to approx 6.66-lbs (2.5%). Now I'm lost... with the <5 or 5-8... what is that referring to?

* Why am I doing the 2.5 increase with the heavy day only? Or, am I increasing all weight by 2.5%/wk?

Do you have any weights heavier that the 10lb? If you can lift the 10lb for more than 1 rep then it wouldn't be your 1 rep max. There are calculators on the web that can calculate your one rep max from the highest weight you can lift for any number of reps, but the more reps you can manage at that weight the more inaccurate the result. So really you want to try and find the highest weight you could lift for 2 or 3 reps rather than 6+. You then use that calculated number to work out what you should be lifting for each of light, medium and heavy.

So if you can manage 10 squats with 20lb (2x10lb) (I'm assuming you're using a weight per hand) then your calculated 1rm is 27lb (remember not that accurate with so many reps) and you work your percentages from that number.

Unfortunately as you're limited to the 2lb, 5lb and 10lb there's not a lot in terms of progression you can do. I would probably stick to the 10lb weights for now and reduce the number of squats and then steadily increase while looking in to getting hold of some heavier weights, maybe in the form of kettlebells (great for goblet squats but buy the metal rather than the big plastic ones, once the plastic ones get about 8kg they get too big to hold comfortably for goblets).

As to the working to failure, when I'm doing AMRAP I don't actually go to failure, (except deadlifts), I keep going until I feel I can't do any more without compromising form, so there's generally at least one left in the tank.

eta : DOMS, I tend to get this when I've worked extra hard in a class (or when my PT decides we're going to torch one particular body part, last week was squats with near enough 1000 in the week, this week it was upper body). The best *cures* are to stay active, plenty of stretching, epsom salt baths, drinking plenty of fluids and for me at least eating plenty of bananas. I squat near enough 6 days a week and find basic squats now don't cause much in the way of DOMS, but then there are some nasty variations that can have me doing the cowboy walk the next day.

• TaffyBranwyn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Do you have any weights heavier that the 10lb? If you can lift the 10lb for more than 1 rep then it wouldn't be your 1 rep max. There are calculators on the web that can calculate your one rep max from the highest weight you can lift for any number of reps, but the more reps you can manage at that weight the more inaccurate the result. So really you want to try and find the highest weight you could lift for 2 or 3 reps rather than 6+. You then use that calculated number to work out what you should be lifting for each of light, medium and heavy.

So if you can manage 10 squats with 20lb (2x10lb) (I'm assuming you're using a weight per hand) then your calculated 1rm is 27lb (remember not that accurate with so many reps) and you work your percentages from that number.

Hi, FFly. Thank you for taking your time to answer all my inane q's!

Okay, I'm completely lost in lingo & calculations. I could never be accused of being a math whizz, but I seriously don't know how you got 27-lb from 10 squats @ 20-lbs. I'm feeling pi-deficient & frustrated. Beyond that, if I say I'm hurting with all I explained above, I still don't understand why it's suggested I lift heavier weights or do more reps to the point where I can't do more? As far as going passed what is my max... I currently find it difficult to do any squats at all (with weights rested on my thighs), as I'm so sore all the time, 24/7. It's not pain as in something is pulled or hurt, it's just constant stiffness & soreness & it's making me very cranky after a week of it sans relief... & I'm not going to take drugs (aspirin, ibuprofin) to counteract that (which was suggested by a personal trainer I recently asked), due to allergies & well, I don't think it's normal to take meds in order to exercise.

I swear I feel better if I do 50/day for 4-5 days 'til I can't move... at least for those 4-5 days, I don't feel stiff or sore. It's that following day my legs fold under me like a newborn fawn. Now, skipping days all the time, I am sore & stiff every moment of everyday... not to the point where it inhibits movement, as long as I stretch. But, I'm getting awfully cranky walking about hurting all day long & I think it might be affecting my sleep. I'm unsure, but I never wake up at night & I am now 2-4 times/nt.

In 2-mos time, I'm stunned I can't get passed this hump.
    wrote:
    Unfortunately as you're limited to the 2lb, 5lb and 10lb there's not a lot in terms of progression you can do. I would probably stick to the 10lb weights for now and reduce the number of squats and then steadily increase while looking in to getting hold of some heavier weights, maybe in the form of kettlebells (great for goblet squats but buy the metal rather than the big plastic ones, once the plastic ones get about 8kg they get too big to hold comfortably for goblets).

I'm moving again soon & literally purging all of my possessions, save for what can fit in my car. So, as far as weights, I've got what I've got, so I'll have to work with it.
    wrote:
    As to the working to failure, when I'm doing AMRAP I don't actually go to failure, (except deadlifts), I keep going until I feel I can't do any more without compromising form, so there's generally at least one left in the tank... but then there are some nasty variations that can have me doing the cowboy walk the next day.

I already am at the point where I can't do 1 more, that's why I do 10 & stop, then return later to do 10 more. Since I began breaking up days, I now can't lift the 10s & am using 5s, as I said above. I'm doing a straightforward, basic squat & don't feel I can do more than that now... my knees hurt if I get too fancy. And, I am doing the cowboy walk everyday... so, common sense is telling me I need less.

Seriously, maybe I should use the 5-lbs & do 10/day, increasing 1 per day... no days off. Does that sound like a way to ease me into doing higher weights & more reps?
  • FatWithFatness
    edited October 2017
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

I'm confused, are you including the weight of the bar? It's pretty straight forward, if your one rep max(the max you can lift once) is 100lbs then you're going to do 3 sets of 5 at 65lbs and then a set of as many reps as possible, not to failure, I usually leave 1 in the tank.

As far as the 3x15 and 5x5 it's just whatever you can do for 3 sets of 10 or 5 sets of 5, so you're really pushing to get that last rep in.

Edit: spelling
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

I'm confused, are you including the weight of the bar? It's pretty straight forward, if your one rep max(the max you can lift once) is 100lbs then you're going to do 3 sets of 5 at 65lbs and then a set of as many reps as possible, not to failure, I usually leave 1 in the tank.

As far as the 3x15 and 5x5 it's just whatever you can do for 3 sets of 10 or 5 sets of 5, so you're really pushing to get that last rep in.

What's confusing about 10 lb dumbells?

• FatWithFatness
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

Because 10lbs isn't a 1RM.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

IF you say so.

2x 10lb dumbells. it's her 1RM. Mostly because that's all the weights she owns.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options

EXAMPLE:

Friday - medium 5x5

IF you say so.

2x 10lb dumbells. it's her 1RM. Mostly because that's all the weights she owns.

She states in her original post that she's doing sets of 10 first with 2, then 5, then 10... that would make her 1RM 27lbs.