Anyone been here before? Miscalculation of calories

Options
Grrrrrr. Anyone been here before? I accidentally bought seasoned rice vinegar thinking it was natural Rice vinegar...the seasoned one is 15 cal, loaded with fake sugars and sodium while the natural is 0 all around. Anyways, i carelessly didn’t read the label and doused my chicken salad with it—I’m talking drenched! I wasn’t sure if the funny taste was just me or the full feeling. That was 3 hrs ago. I just happened to notice the bottle right now I’m so frustrated because I was trying so hard for the past 2 weeks with careful eating and trying to lose 10 lbs...I’m prolly 200 calories over, and 3000 mg of sodium and maybe 50-60 g sugar.

Replies

• Czuni6
    Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I guess I meant added sugar like high fructose corn syrup. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I would be very surprised if you ate 200 calories of seasoned rice vinegar. I'm sure all your efforts will pay off!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Well, the seasoned vinegar is 20 calories a tablespoon. 200 calories is barely more than half a cup. It's still a lot but it's not really an outlandish amount.

And yes, I hate it when I buy the wrong product. I always buy hot pepper spread for my sandwiches, some are like pickles and have negligible calories. Others use oil as a base and have much more. It took me a couple of purchases to realize that there was a difference.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Well, the seasoned vinegar is 20 calories a tablespoon. 200 calories is barely more than half a cup. It's still a lot but it's not really an outlandish amount.

So 200 calories worth of vinegar would be 10 tablespoons of it. That's...that's a lot of vinegar. If you only had half a cup full then I don't think you've used as much as you think you did.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    One time I made a pizza at home and thought the whole crust was 200 calories. That was just for HALF the crust.

Lesson learned. Don't beat yourself up. Now you know. It won't really derail you in the long run.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yeah, don't stress out about the sodium and sugar (unless you've got a medical condition that calls for stressing out). And 200 calories is really small in the larger scheme of things - there are enough things we don't understand about digestion that a lot of CICO is educated guessing. I get the frustration of buying the wrong product, but maybe you can find some other recipes that call for it? Have some people over and make sushi! If you avoid spicy mayo and cream cheese, it's pretty low-cal, and makes for an awesome fun party.
  • Czuni6
    Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, you guys are great! I’m so inspired by you. Thank you for all of the comments, I really appreciate them and they helped me to pick up where I left off and keep going...you guys are awesome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

So 200 calories worth of vinegar would be 10 tablespoons of it. That's...that's a lot of vinegar. If you only had half a cup full then I don't think you've used as much as you think you did.

Um . . . 10 tablespoons = 5/8 cup, or between half and three-quarters cup.

Half a cup = 8 tablespoons = 160 calories (at 20 per T)
    5/8cup = 10 tablespoons = 200 calories

Not a huge difference, by the math.