Weights for the Ladies

Options
Hi! Any ladies out there that do weight lifting as part of or a predominant part of their workout plan? If so, what do you do? I have dumbbells at my condo's gym along with like five machines to use. At my work, I have a bench press area, but haven't really ventured over to use them yet. Any suggestions/routines would be awesome!!! Thank you!!!

Replies

• steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Competitive powerlifter. I do a specialized plan for me based on my hip issues, etc. But there are a ton of lifting programs in this link. Pick one and have fun!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you!!!! I appreciate it! :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week, compound, full body, barbell only (because that's what i have).
  • steelaxitute2127
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week, compound, full body, barbell only (because that's what i have).

What types of exercises do you do with the barbells? And forgive me, but what does compound mean?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    And forgive me, but what does compound mean?

Isolation lifts typically move one joint and target one muscle group.
    Compound lifts typically move multiple joints and target multiple muscle groups (some primary, some secondary).

IMHO compound lifts should be the foundation of your routine (especially for a beginner) to build functional strength, build a balanced physique, far more time efficient as you do more "work" in a shorter time.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I also do competitive powerlifting. I do lots of squats. Squats are an example of a compound movement.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer to give me two routines I can alternate between so I can do consecutive days. Weights are not my go to exercise but having a set routine is helpful.
  • steelaxitute2127
    Options
    Can I find the different types of exercises (isolation and compound) online?
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html this is an excellent beginner's workout and it's all with dumbbells.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3x/week. My exercises vary since I like to switch it up at the gym. My exercises include:
    Barbell:
    bench press (originally with the bar but now building up in weights)
    straight leg dead lift
    squats (sometimes)

Dumbbell
    military press
    lunges-sometimes with a military press or bicep curl
    squats-sometimes with a military press or bicep curl
    curtsey lunges
    front raises
    lateral raises
    crunches
    dumbbell kickbacks

There are others I do also, but basically the sky's the limit when it comes what you can and cannot do with free weights. Everyone has their own philosophy on the best ways to lift. Do some of your own research also so you have an idea of what you're working and why. There are a lot of videos on youtube that can also give you ideas. Also, and this is my opinion, while machines are good, you get more benefits by doing those same exercises with free weights.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started with strong lifts...added some workouts from Bret (Glute guy)...and I follow Whitney Simmons (YouTube) for accessory lifts and new ideas on working each muscle group. I add weight progressively (as stronglifts does) and keep my compound lifts at 5X5. Although I do drop weight on my 2nd leg day and do 4X10-12 for squats.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm 60+ and do a full-body 3X a week with emphasis on legs (helps w/balance). Belong to a locally-owned gym and use a combo of weights and machines with a short cardio session when done with the weights. Experiment and find the workout that works for you; I ended up creating my own. B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I do a modified version of Stronglifts 5x5 since Jan. (Before that was working with a trainer.) Same weight but different shape now! Body fat testing tomorrow.
    Oh, I also do a machine circuit at the Y sometimes &will be starting a class there next week that uses all types of weights. Machines get a bad rap here, but I feel they have benefits too, especially for areas I have a hard time with free weights due to issues, like OHP..
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Another competitive powerlifter here. My training is predominately lifting 5x week with some light cardio. I've been doing Wendler 5-3-1 with some hypertrophy work while cutting weight, surprised how quickly my body is changing. Will switch things up at the beginning of the year to start training for a meet in March.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can I find the different types of exercises (isolation and compound) online?

follow the link already given - every workout explanation gets into that.

Also - just sitting in chair thinking about or doing the lifting motion - makes it pretty evident with great description already given - 1 joint is 1 muscle (or shared load on 2 muscles pulling same direction) is iso - more than 1 joint is compound.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I found an M&S at home dumbbell workout on the stickies in the gaining weight section. This is week 10 for me and I'm up to 20# dumbbells. I have tweaked the workouts every 3 weeks or so. This is my first week adding a third day but it's just body weight stuff. Next week I'm going to take a break to rest my ailing knee and get back at it the following week.

Workout A
    Goblet Squats
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Dumbbell Squat Sequence
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Standing One Leg Dumbbell Calf Raise
    Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls
    Dumbbell Single Leg Step Up
    Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension
    Hand to hand staggered hip hinge
    Crunches

Workout B - Bodyweight Only
    25 Jumping jacks
    25 Tricep dips
    3/30 sec Wall sit
    25 Push up Progression - Basic push-up
    25 Hip thrusts
    3/30 sec Planks
    25 Plie squat calf raises
    25 Soma side crunch
    25 jump rope
    25 Russian twists
    25 Squat Progression - Basic squat
    25 Lying floor leg raises

Workout C
    Bent over row
    Dumbbell Lunge
    Dumbbell Floor Press
    Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Standing Hammer Curl
    Lying Floor Leg Raise
    Double chest press
    Dumbbell Shrug
    Back good mornings
    Dumbell swing
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    lifting is pretty much all I do. I follow established programs like Stronglifts 5x5 and PHUL (Intermediate program). Right now I am doing a 3 day upper/lower split routine and glutes and ab accessory days in between.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently reprioritized my exercise to be more lifting instead of cardio. Not much of a difference yet, but I see slight recomposition despite now weighing 3 lbs more on average after 6 months.

I do solely dumbbells - started with 10lb dumbbells and now using 15lb. About to buy 20lb to keep progressive with increasing weights. I do a personal variation of StrongLifts 5x5 3x a week - more focused on higher reps to reach failure versus higher weight. So far, I am happy with the results coupled with the convenience of doing the routine at home before work.

vbj3v1uyle57.jpeg
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Another place to look is Bodybuilding.com; they have all kinds of workout plans as well as demos of exercises so that you're doing them correctly. Form is more important then the amount of weight you lift.