Rings off for barbell work?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing my wedding rings a few years back when my metal allergies extended to everything and they just made me itch too much.

I could get a silicone band, I suppose, but I know I'm married.

I can't imagine trying to lift weights with a ring on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever worn rings working out...seems very uncomfortable.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I take mine off: I don't want to scratch it and I don't want it pushing/pulling on skin during any lifts.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of silicon bands in different colors (I like to switch them out every once in awhile). At first, I would swap them out for my original rings after exercising, but now I pretty much wear them 24/7 and swap with my rings for nicer events. I don't think my husband has worn his original ring in a year or two now. To each his own, but I love my silicon rings!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I wear a silicon ring. It just feels weird not wearing a ring. Along the same lines as when my long nails break or are trimmed too short. Just feels weird....
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I don't take my wedding ring to the gym period. It was expensive and don't want to have it stolen. Men aren't asking me out anyway...earbuds plus a mean face prevent that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the silicone ring thing either. I could understand for someone who can't wear their wedding ring all day (like if they work construction or something) but just for working out? That seems silly. I actually wear my wedding/engagement rings to the gym but only because I don't want to leave them in my locker. Now that I bought a padlock I probably will start taking them off. I find it doesn't cause issues with my grip but still.
  • hesn92
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Yeah- it's just another thing to spend your money on IMHO.

I never have understood them.

I don't understand them either. Like taking your ring off for an hour is going to make you less committed to your husband/wife. By the way i recognize you from wedding wire Bahahaha same screen name same picture??
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I don't understand them either. Like taking your ring off for an hour is going to make you less committed to your husband/wife. By the way i recognize you from wedding wire Bahahaha same screen name same picture??

It's not about being less committed, it's about getting less attention (for me). At the gym people like to socialize and I never wanted to lead anyone on. For my regular activity, I go dancing for hours at a time and people there are sometimes looking to date, so it's good to have that hand as a signal, but my real rings are stabby. Sometimes I go to weekend dance events as well-- days and days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

AccurateAF- it's the same person. ;)
    leggup wrote: »

It's not about being less committed, it's about getting less attention (for me). At the gym people like to socialize and I never wanted to lead anyone on. For my regular activity, I go dancing for hours at a time and people there are sometimes looking to date, so it's good to have that hand as a signal, but my real rings are stabby. Sometimes I go to weekend dance events as well-- days and days.

"no I'm not interested" doesn't work for you?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

AccurateAF- it's the same person. ;)
    leggup wrote: »

People will avoid coming over if they see the ring in advance, saving me the trouble (in gym situations). I have also been scolded for being "misleading" when I didn't have a ring on. Yes, a tool thing for him to say, but it made me uncomfortable. I'd rather someone want to dance with me because they want to dance with me (knowing they don't have a shot), not because they think I might be single. Some people use the dance community as a dating pool.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Got to the point I just stopped wearing one in general. Thought about silicon but haven't pulled the trigger. Got tired of taking it off when working on vehicles, working in the yard or when lifting.

Not having it on makes me no less committed to my wife. Plus I don't have the issue of women hitting on me. When you have a "grouchy bear with sore tooth look" as your normal face people avoid me in general.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

In my experience, this is not a very effective deterrent for men who feel persistence will pay off. :/

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I was a little heavier when I got married so my ring tends to slip off when I wash my hands - I rarely wear it anymore, and never would in the gym. A kid in high school got his class ring snagged in a basketball net and it basically skinned his finger, so I never wear jewelry while doing any type of exercise or sports.

I've had people that were alarmed that I don't wear a wedding ring anymore, as if it was a magical piece of jewelry that renders a relationship legitimate. Yeah, long-term relationships that hinge upon wearing a piece of metal on your finger sound amazing and not at all needy or insecure, lol.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My husband didn't even get a wedding ring because we knew it was not practical for his job/hobbies. I got a small/inexpensive one which I wear on special occasions only.
    I can see getting one of those silicone ones if that was going to be what you wear the majority of the time, but getting one just to exchange when you lift seems a little "extra"....

I've asked many rando guys for a spot at the gym while wearing no ring, it has yet to lead to anything more than spotting my lift. (Sometimes a high five, or "good job." So, go me.)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I'm going in for a session with a trainer today so I can learn to use the barbell/squat cage to start SL 5x5.
    I've read that it's not good to wear rings (wedding ring/engagement ring) while you lift - is that for someone starting out or is that only a thing if you're lifting heavy?

You can wear if you like
    WHen I was married, I would take mine off, because I am pretty rough...and I didn't want to damage the wedding band (It was my grandfather's)
    It had little diamonds embedded in the band and I lost one of those, I am sure due to when I wore it lifting.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My diamond ring hasn't fit for a year, it's stays in the safety deposit box. I wear a gold band and have a huge callous at the base of my finger. it's a badge of honor. Doesnt bother me one bit.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options

"no I'm not interested" doesn't work for you?[/quote]

People will avoid coming over if they see the ring in advance, saving me the trouble (in gym situations). I have also been scolded for being "misleading" when I didn't have a ring on. Yes, a tool thing for him to say, but it made me uncomfortable. I'd rather someone want to dance with me because they want to dance with me (knowing they don't have a shot), not because they think I might be single. Some people use the dance community as a dating pool. [/quote]

A nonverbal signal requires so much less energy than dealing with people. In my experience most people leave me alone from the start or interact with me differently when I'm wearing a ring. Although I have been told I have an "approach me and die" look when I am lifting, so maybe it's not the ring.

I take off my rings for workouts involving deadlifting and pull-ups but most everything else is fine. I have pretty simple rings that I chose because I am hard on my belongings, so I'm not really worried about hurting them.

• hesn92
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've never had an issue with being so bothered by men talking to me at the gym to where I felt it necessary to wear a ring to discourage it. Hmmmm maybe I'm ugly hahaha
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I never wore my rings while exercising. I was afraid of damaging them or losing them if my hands got sweaty. Then I lost enough weight that they didn't fit anymore. My fingers are several sizes smaller now and I haven't worn any rings in at least a year or two. Still just as happily married as I was to begin with.