Stevia... Is it possible to acquire a taste for it?

Options
karynclarke
karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So, I just ordered some powdered peanut butter and some protein powder. They both have Stevia as a sweetener, and to me they both have the same (horrible) taste.

I'm just wondering if I persevere will I be able to tolerate the taste, or should I just pass these on to someone and stick with my tried and true protein powder brands and remember to stay well clear of Stevia in the future?

Also, if anyone has any tips for counteracting the Stevia taste. I've tried adding cocoa powder (1/2 Tbs) to my shake and it's slightly more palatable.

Edited because typos

Replies

• Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stevia can have a really strong taste when companies who use it put too much. I was going to say use less but once I read it you can't do that of course with premade foods. If you know someone that would take them you could do that. But if you wanted to keep and get your moneys worth you could use less and also use some other protein or unsweetened versions at the same time to use it up. I like stevia but I only add a very small amount to JUST sweeten it or it's gross
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fair play for trying to persevere. I still have a near-full pack of stevia-sweetened protein in a cupboard. Tried it for 3 days, then ordered more of my usual stuff. For me, going from considering my shake a lunchtime treat, to choking it down, was too big a risk. I could easily see myself giving up in misery if I tried to stick at the stevia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten used to it...weird after taste. I still have like 4 out of a 6 pack of stevia Ginger Beer in my fridge at home from like May....
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for the artificial sweetener flavour at all. They have got better over the years but I've no interest in getting used to it. I found that Truvia is tolerable in coffee or as a punch up for yoghurt or oatmeal, but I only use a little.

I got pretty excited about the MyProtein flavdrops I heard about on here, but of the three I ordered only one didn't taste vile - Natural Strawberry, if you're wondering, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Natural Toffee were horrid. I have little bottle of maple and coconut flavouring for baking which with the Truvia are good for the aforementioned oatmeal and whatever, and smoothies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for the artificial sweetener flavour at all. They have got better over the years but I've no interest in getting used to it. I found that Truvia is tolerable in coffee or as a punch up for yoghurt or oatmeal, but I only use a little.

I got pretty excited about the MyProtein flavdrops I heard about on here, but of the three I ordered only one didn't taste vile - Natural Strawberry, if you're wondering, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Natural Toffee were horrid. I have little bottle of maple and coconut flavouring for baking which with the Truvia are good for the aforementioned oatmeal and whatever, and smoothies.

Just a point of clarification, Stevia and Truvia are not artificial sweeteners.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Fair point. Low or zero cal sweeteners?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Just guessing, but many things that taste one way to some people and a different way to others are genetic, so I'm thinking it will always taste terrible to you. It tastes okay to me unless I try to pair it with natural sugars such as fruit topping on Halo Top ice cream. Next to real sugar it tastes bad to me.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    depends on the person I guess. I got used to stevia after awhile of it being in my protein powder.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Stevia, it makes my tongue burn. Prefer good ole chemical-laden Splenda.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It makes my tongue tingle. So does cinnamon. So I started using Stevia in my Chai tea with cinnamon and in pumpkin spiced protein pancakes. Now I associate that tingle with cinnamon.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Sweet n Low, which I know is not terribly common. I decided to try Stevia this week for hot chocolate (I usually use Splenda or sugar for that) and didn't like it at all. I don't think it's something I'd ever develop a taste for.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia, but I add it myself in very low quantities. Too much does have a strong, sweet taste. I've never liked artificial sweeteners and like the fact that Stevia is plant based. In fact I have a Stevia plant growing in my back yard that I picked up at Home Depot and I use the leaves in cooking and in smoothies. I can't tell the difference from sugar anymore and nobody in the house ever seems to know when I use it.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've tried stevia (packets) and stevia-sweetened foods on several occasions over a couple of years, and I've never been able to acquire a taste for it. I think I've given it a good chance, and I don't plan on going there again. I'm fine with sucralose, and I'll stick with that.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I'll give it try mixing it with my current protein powder to see if it dilutes the stevia enough, if not I'll just have to choke it up as a loss and check that I never buy anything with stevia again.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think like anything you can make your taste buds accustomed to it. I just hate that aftertaste and I'm told I'm crazy, but it smells weird to me and I don't like weird smells in my consumables.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes I hated it years ago but now I am addicted! I LOVe the taste of it and actualy prefer bars and items with a strong stevia flavor.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Sweet n Low, which I know is not terribly common. I decided to try Stevia this week for hot chocolate (I usually use Splenda or sugar for that) and didn't like it at all. I don't think it's something I'd ever develop a taste for.

I cant stand sweet and low...so bitter. Stevia is super sweet to me.
  • harryt678
    harryt678 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm sure over time stevia will be bareable and it might even taste great! For myself I was never able to get used to it, the fake overly sweet taste and aftertaste killed it for me