Eating after 8:00 p.m.

Options
What negative impact on your weight loss does eating after 8:00 p.m. have on your body (even if you are under your caloric intake goal including the meal after 8:00 p.m. for the day)? Also, does anyone recommend drinking a full glass of water before going into bed? Should I be holding a 20 oz. water before going into bed for the night? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i recommend drinking a full glass of dos equis
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eating after 8pm has no negative impact on your body, not in any way, shape or form. Same with water.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    I dont eat after 7pm, its just a rule ive always stuck to and it works for me xx
  • dailyorange
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating at night as long as you are within your calorie goals. I have a snack and a cup of tea every night. You might have to pee in the middle of the night though!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    What negative impact on your weight loss does eating after 8:00 p.m. have on your body? Also, does anyone recommend drinking a full glass of water before going into bed? Thanks for the help!

Eating and drinking after 8pm is totally fine. It really doesn't matter when you eat as much as "what" you eat. I try to go easy on the water though since I don't like getting up in the middle of the night for a sleepy trip to the bathroom. :)
  • prettyash76
    Options
    You can eat at anytime. I eat after 8 everyday
  • KathMia
    KathMia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only thing about eating after 8pm at night is that you are normally sitting on the couch by then. This means that you are not going to be burning it off. All good dieticians recommend not eating after 8pm for this reason. However, if you are still active at night then it will do no harm. If you feel that you are peckish later at night then have a piece of fruit and a glass of water.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't eat within 2 hrs before you go to bed, you can eat after 8... i don't get off work sometimes until 8 or even 9. So that is the only time i can eat.
  • hels_bells
    Options
    I agree - your body metabolises at the same rate when you're asleep and resting as awake and resting - it's a bit of an urban myth that eating after 8pm is bad for you or puts extra weight on etc.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can train yourself to not crave food in that time frame if you hold to the whole don't eat after 8 thing. This can be helpful if you binge late at night, but if you have the calories for a snack it will have no negative impact.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't eat within 2 hrs before you go to bed, you can eat after 8... i don't get off work sometimes until 8 or even 9. So that is the only time i can eat.

My-Name-Is-Irrelevant.png
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I generally eat dinner after 8 most nights because that is when the entire family finally "lands" at home. I lost over 40 lbs last year and have maintained my loss now for 9 months, and it hasn't been a problem at all. I just make sure to stay within my calorie goals.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    If im running or going to the gym I don't usually get home until 8ish anyway so it's the only time I can fit eating in!! It's not done me any harm. If I do have an earlier dinner I usually have some cereal or a snack for supper anyway :bigsmile:
  • gabby421
    gabby421 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning and i notice when i eat later the scale ususally says 1-2 pounds more than the day before..i know i shouldnt weigh myself everyday but i have to to keep myslef in check..i was told it doesnt matter when you eat at nignt its what you eat..but i do try not to eat after 7 and i dont drink anything after 7 if i can help it.. :)
  • KathMia
    KathMia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here is a quote from my dietician:

"One of the practices that nutritionists urge is that of regular nutritious meals and portion control. Some people who struggle with weight gain skip meals and then find themselves binging late at night due to feelings of deprivation. This is an easy way to gain weight, particularly if more calories are consumed than are needed by the body.

Experts encourage people to eat breakfast and spread meals evenly throughout the day. Close attention to portion size is critical. When the body receives many more calories than it can use, it will store those calories as fat. For those who have no choice but to eat late at night due to long work hours or other circumstances, choosing highly nutritious foods in a portion-controlled and well-balanced meal is important for achieving greater health and avoiding weight gain.

In general, it is a bad idea to sleep on a very full stomach. If snacking at night, pay close attention to the types of foods you are eating. Replace snack foods high in fat and sugar with fruits and other snacks with lower salt and fat content. Eating nutritious meals in regular intervals throughout the day, choosing healthier snacks at night, and incorporating daily exercise will go a long way in maintaining a healthy metabolism and preventing unnecessary weight gain."

Think this makes it clearer.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care when you eat the calories. However, if you weigh in in the morning, you might see a hike in weight because the food is still in your system.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I eat after 8 consistently. It's not a meal, but snacks, and they don't affect my weight loss at all.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I never manage to eat dinner before 8pm !!!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to bed feeling full as this interrupts my sleep, as does going to bed hungry. If in doubt eat light in the evening, and I recommend a glass of warm milk before bed :)
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i recommend drinking a full glass of dos equis

Win!