Do I need a rest day if I'm only a slow beginner runner?

Options
After two months of alternating jogging and walking, I'm up to a mile jog every morning. I'm not going quickly at all, usually not faster than 15 minutes a mile (including breaks while my dogs do their business, although I do try and jog in place as much as possible). I've started looking into beginning runner tips, and I'm seeing a lot of advice saying not to run every day. I'm not doing any sort of formal training program, just 15 minutes with the dogs in the morning, maybe a half-hour on the weekends. I've generally been feeling fine and I love the rush of energy even that short workout gives me before work, but I certainly don't want to hurt myself or push too hard. So I'd love to hear if people think I should work some break days in there or not. I understand strength and cross-training are important in the long run, but I'm kind of easing myself into this fitness thing one step at a time.

Replies

• kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running, still take breaks. You might not need to after every run, but you'll see better progress running 4 times a week than 7 to start off with
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Alternate running with cross training
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    At that pace and mileage you're likely OK not to take a break every other day but do take rest days every so often. Running builds cumulative fatigue and it'll catch up with you at some point if you're not careful.

Also, your rest days are when you actually improve.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, as a beginner it's even more important that you have rest days than a seasoned trained runner.
  • lifeisbeautyfull
    lifeisbeautyfull Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cross training doesn’t have to be anything fancy at this point- Just do a brisk walk instead on your rest days to give your body a little recovery time. You’ll likely find it improves your speed and endurance on your run days!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Cross training doesn’t have to be anything fancy at this point- Just do a brisk walk instead on your rest days to give your body a little recovery time. You’ll likely find it improves your speed and endurance on your run days!

Huh, I generally get 30-60 minutes of brisk walking a day anyhow - I guess I was conflating cross training with resistance training?
  • lifeisbeautyfull
    lifeisbeautyfull Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It’s my understanding (grain of salt!) that cross training is just any other form of exercise you do to complement your run training program. Strength training or yoga is awesome, and a lot of people bike or swim. But I think the basic idea is to move on your rest days and it doesn’t have to be anything crazy or complicated! Check out Hal Higdon- he has great run training programs for new runners that emphasize walking on your rest days!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Throw some walking lunges, bodysquats, and overhead presses or windmills (keeps the shoulders nice and loose and your hands warm) in with your wall push-ups and you a nice little work out.

Cheers, h.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Considering the time you've put in, and the distance you're running, you'd be safe running more frequently than every other day. Go 2 days of running followed by 1 day of rest for a week or so and see how it goes. I bet you'll find that you'll handle it just fine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm thinking that I'll plan on giving myself a no-running day after that longer weekend jog, and maybe a second one mid-week? I know cross-training is ideal, but right now I'm just working on not letting perfect be the enemy of the good. I'm planning to add a couple of circuit classes a week by the end of the year, and will probably swap out running for stationary bike while there's snow on the ground. I'm kind of sad about the idea of not getting to run for a few months!

ETA: I've started doing wall push-ups during my morning jog 2-3 times a week, so I've got a little body-weight exercise going I suppose. Baby steps?

I've heard of people using Yaktrax or Microspikes to run in winter weather. I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but if being outdoors is important to you, there are alternatives.

Is there cross country skiing where you are? It's a fantastic way to enjoy winter and will be familiar to you as a runner.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to add a couple of circuit classes a week by the end of the year, and will probably swap out running for stationary bike while there's snow on the ground. I'm kind of sad about the idea of not getting to run for a few months!

Winter is my FAVORITE time of the year to run, and I live in Minnesota.

Keep running outside and see if you dont' find yourself gradually getting adapted to the winter running.

Also google "screw shoes". It's a very cheap, easy way to adapt your running shoes to snowy, icy conditions.

• MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm planning to add a couple of circuit classes a week by the end of the year, and will probably swap out running for stationary bike while there's snow on the ground. I'm kind of sad about the idea of not getting to run for a few months!

Winter is my FAVORITE time of the year to run, and I live in Minnesota.

Keep running outside and see if you dont' find yourself gradually getting adapted to the winter running.

Also google "screw shoes". It's a very cheap, easy way to adapt your running shoes to snowy, icy conditions.

Hey neighbor! Are you running on trails or sidewalks? I worry about the ice slicks that are pretty common in my neighborhood, although I suppose I have seen hearty souls braving the winter even in the cities.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    After two months of alternating jogging and walking, I'm up to a mile jog every morning. I'm not going quickly at all, usually not faster than 15 minutes a mile (including breaks while my dogs do their business, although I do try and jog in place as much as possible). I've started looking into beginning runner tips, and I'm seeing a lot of advice saying not to run every day. I'm not doing any sort of formal training program, just 15 minutes with the dogs in the morning, maybe a half-hour on the weekends. I've generally been feeling fine and I love the rush of energy even that short workout gives me before work, but I certainly don't want to hurt myself or push too hard. So I'd love to hear if people think I should work some break days in there or not. I understand strength and cross-training are important in the long run, but I'm kind of easing myself into this fitness thing one step at a time.

No
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Non-runners jog in place at lights and stops. You're a runner now. No need to do that. :D
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Non-runners jog in place at lights and stops. You're a runner now. No need to do that. :D

bb7wsp4dikx8.jpg

Or do what cyclists do and use it as an opportunity to drink from your water bottle.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

bb7wsp4dikx8.jpg

Haha, good to know!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Former new runner here lol. Even if you feel good, continue taking running days off, as others have said it's good to alternate running with cross training. Your speed isn't really an issue (FWIW, I tend to have MORE injuries when I run a bit slower than when I go a little faster). It's not really about taking a "rest day" (I hate that term!) so much as giving your body a chance to recouperate and heal up after the inevitable damage of every workout. Alternating what systems you're working out allows you to work out every day (yay, no rest days!) if you're smart about it. But you do have to build in "recovery." So, maybe run one day, strength train the next, run one day, swim the next, run one day, strength train the next, run one day, bike the next ... you get the idea. If you don't go hard, it might work out for you to be able to run every day or nearly every day ... after you've been running regularly for a year or so.

My experience was "I feel good, why not run every day!" but I did develop some hamstring and knee issues that could have been avoided. And those injuries resulted in me having to take a whole month off running. And I was LUCKY -- it could have been worse.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I did take yesterday off (although I got plenty of walking in), and whether it was that or something else, my run this morning felt amazing. And per popular consensus, I refrained from jogging in place.