arm flab - more reps? or heavier weights?

Options
One of my biggest problem areas is my arms - tricep area. I've been researching specific exercises for the arm area and I know that using weights is important, however, I don't know if the # of reps is more important or if I should be focusing on using heavier weights? I'd love some advice. Thanks!!

Replies

• bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have no idea ,, however this is a big problem of mine as well
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Same issue........... I was using machines at the gym but developed a hernia.

Now do free weights:

Bicep curl - 3 reps of 15
    Tricep ext - same

I do 10 or 12.5 lb weights.

I don't feel any soreness so same questions - up weights or reps?
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump - hoping this gets answered :)
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Flap, flap... I mean bump, bump.

Need to know this one too.
  • Shan605
    Shan605 Posts: 41
    Options
    Ive been told that the last few reps should be hard to complete, if you are able to do your 10, 12, or 15 reps without breaking a sweat then move up on the amount of weight you are using.
  • StanMcCullars
    Options
    Arm flab, or any flab for that matter, requires weight loss more than weight lifting. Spot training/reduction (working a specific part of the body such as arm flab or abs to get rid of fat in that area) is a myth. I would encourage you to keep working at reaching your goal weight which. That should take care of most of the flab. I wish there was an easy and quick way to do it but there isn't.

Of course you should continue resistance training to strengthen your muscles which will increase your metabolism and help you lose weight even faster.

As to more reps or heavier weights, lift an amount that you can do comfortably up to 15 repetitions. Once you're able to do that you can safely increase the weight lifted. Remember: No pain, No pain!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I think everyone knows you cannot spot reduce, however you can target areas
    to tone while losing weight, that is the question here
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bumping to add to my topics... I'm struggling with this too.

I'm doing lots of reps with 10 pound weights. Like 50 reps a day, for months, and I am not seeing the improvement I want!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No personal experience (yet), but I'm trying to get ahead of the issue. There seems to be some info out there that makes sense: more weight loss (remove all possible fat), more weights (increase muscle mass), good lotion like stuff (e.g., post pregnancy products to increase elasticity and reduce stretch marks, also can help excess skin) - 2-3 x daily - especially before bed; more water, massage, exfoliating, losing weight slowly, cardio exercise, stretching, weight lifting (i.e., well rounded exercise programs). Some folks swear by certain products, other swear by something called "shake weight" specifically for arms. Again, I have no experience, but am sharing what I've read (all personal testimonials, not product hype).

I have also read that it can take up to two years for your body to adjust after lots of weight loss. I know the two year rule applies to post pregnancy as well.

I thought this was a good article and some of the comments were insightful.

http://allwomenstalk.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Ive been told that the last few reps should be hard to complete, if you are able to do your 10, 12, or 15 reps without breaking a sweat then move up on the amount of weight you are using.

I agree. I try to do 3 sets of 20 and the last 2 or 3 are very hard. If they are not I increase the weight and make sure I can do at least 12-15. My arms have tighted up a lot!!!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bumping to add to my topics... I'm struggling with this too.

I'm doing lots of reps with 10 pound weights. Like 50 reps a day, for months, and I am not seeing the improvement I want!

I would increase the weight. If you are doing that many reps your muscles are used to it. Try 12 lbs.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All the reading I've been doing says to use heavy weights.
  • nob86
    nob86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I second what Stan says about focussing on reducing fat levels generally. Fat around the tricep is a stubborn area and may be one of the last bits to go for most people - the only real way to beat it is to do your best to not think about it, and focus on the bigger picture.

Don't waste your time doing tricep exercises in isolation. Instead do multijoint exercises such as chest presses, shoulder presses as these burn more calories and have a more favourable hormonal response. Reps are pretty irrelevant - the notion that high reps tone is false!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My thoughts have always been to train the way that women are instructed to train...."less weight, more reps"

That being said...I feel like that is advice for a time after most of my flab comes off haha. I feel and "see" more results when I train with heavier weights and do maybe 12 reps & 2-3 sets.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights!!! As heavy as you can comfortably use while maintaining correct form. Other posters are right, you should barely be able to do the last 2-3 reps. If you can do more than 12-15 at a time, your weight is not heavy enough.

I still have about 15 lbs. to lose, but my arms are more toned than any other part of my body. And by toned I mean they are noticeably smaller and the muscle shapes are visible. I just turned 40 (female) and have no arm flab at all.

If I'm using a machine, I will use 70-80 lbs. for lat pulldowns, and 60-70 lbs. for chest press.
    I use 15-20 lbs. free weights (dumbells) for bicep curls, and overhead shoulder presses. The lat pull downs are what toned my triceps the most.

And for comparison sake, I have been working out with the same person for over a year now, she never uses more than 7.5 lbs. dumbells and never goes above 30 lbs. on the machines. Her arms have not changed in a year, no visible muscle tone and still has arm flab.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    --EDIT--
    You know what, what I had to say has been said. Look at poster above me, for example. :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    neither...lose fat
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've researched this subject for years . . . bottom line to get rid of the wings = Brachioplasty (Arm Lift).

Google "brachioplasty" to see before and after photos.

I've decided to start a savings account for this procedure as a reward once I reach my goal, which MFP predicts will take approximately 18-to-24 months. ( Cost: $5000 - $10,000 :sad:)

At my age, the reality is that I'm going to be sporting some serious "flaps" come 2013 - Hopefully the price will come down.
  • nob86
    nob86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to distinguish between excess fat on the arms that can be reduced or even irradicated through reducing overall bodyfat, and excess skin that is left behind after the fat is gone.

Surgery should not be considered until you have reached a healthy weight. As i said in my earlier post, arm flab can be one of the last areas to go.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I started out with 2.5lbs then I moved up to 5lbs. and then up to 7.5lbs. In about 2 more weeks I will be moving up to 10lb weights. I am not sure if I will go past 10lb weights or not.
    I know that spot reducing is a myth but it does not hurt to work that area. I have the flab on my under arms and my hips and I have increased the exercises in that area to increase the muscle underneath it.

I ALSO run 5 miles every morning, but I have noticed changes in my arms. The muscle is larger and and because I am doing some hefty cardio the fat is being burned away and I now have muscles that look pretty nice. I am not trying to be muscular just toned.

This worked for me, just upping the pounds and continuing the # of reps until doing them becomes easy then I up the pounds again. The cardio is a huge part of it but having the muscle built up under neath doesn't hurt either. :bigsmile: