Looking for feedback on gym memberships

Options
Hi, I’m looking for some information on chain-type gyms such as Anytime Fitness. Are these types of places worth it? What activities are you doing there? Looking to get started somewhere with exercise, but just not sure if a place like this will be very motivating to go to. I joined one years ago, but only used the treadmill for a few weeks and quit going. Thanks.

Replies

• sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started out at a gym that had 24hr access specifically because I was intimidated a while back and it was nice going during off-peak hours and learning what to do at my own pace rather than feeling pressured from the regulars... if i went during peak hrs I always felt like I was "in the way"... thats just my personal feeling.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I have an LA Fitness membership, because they have a pool, and they're the closest gym with a pool (with decent hours/access) to my house. And I swim, so a pool is non-negotiable.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think it sort of depends on what kinds of stuff you are looking for. i know someone who loves her planet-fitness-type membership, whereas the people i lift with once a week at my 'club' see it as just a place to go, get their thing done and get out when there are no alternatives.

it can also be hard to know how to choose a membership when you're so new you don't know yet what your style as a worker-outer is going to be. i put in a few months of pay-as-you-go at my own situation of choice [city rec centre system] before i got married to it with the annual pass.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sara_Liz1 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m looking for some information on chain-type gyms such as Anytime Fitness. Are these types of places worth it? What activities are you doing there? Looking to get started somewhere with exercise, but just not sure if a place like this will be very motivating to go to. I joined one years ago, but only used the treadmill for a few weeks and quit going. Thanks.

I think it depends on what exercise you want to do and if you enjoy working out with people around you. Do you want to use particular machines? Do you want a program set up for you by a trainer?
    Why did you quit your previous gym after a few weeks?

As an alternative to a gym you could walk, run or bike.
    You could do workout videos. There are lots on you tube. Jessica Smith tv and Fitness Blender are a couple but there are many more.
    You could dance.
    You could play active video games.
    You could get some exercise equipment for your home.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You may join up with a chain gym that has two sites on opposite sides of your town, and the experience could be night and day between the two. I am in a smallish town, so not intimidated b/c their isn't that much going on at mine, even during peak hours. I will say that I do typically avoid that time though, just because I don't like the crowds and the distractions of getting into my 'zone'. Most places will let you have a few free visits, maybe even up to a week or two, to try it out and see how you like it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I toured my local anytime fitness and had a trial membership and I loved it. I decided to go to a locally owned gym that had better prices though.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I had planet fitness, awful. It's suppose to be 24/7 here but they shut down and lock up at most days around 7 or 10. And it's suppose to be no commitment but I got pregnant and tried to cancel my membership and had to pay an entire year worth of gym memberships which was 20$ a month for 12 months and I couldn't even work out because I was high risk pregnancy as well.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    All kinds of gyms with different kinds of equipment and different price structures. 1 There's no one fits all. They are only worth the $ if you use them.

You just need to know what kind of equipment you need to use to achieve your training objectives in a gym that's conveniently located and set up the way that appeals to you, so that you will actually use it.

Then just tour the gyms in your area and choose the one that best fits your needs, objectives and budget.

I was a member of 24Hr Fitness for awhile. It was cheap. Liked the after hr access but never actually used it after hrs. Stopped going after a year because I set up a gym at home and didn't need it anymore.

• lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like the gym when it gives me external motivation. By that I mean someone checking in on me. Either I would do classes and get to know the trainers and other members who attended regularly, or by having a pt do me a program and regular updates. When I was short of money I just did all the free classes. I have varied between using a pt 8 weekly and using one several times a week depending on finances. I go to a more expensive gym now because I wanted a good pt who could work with my injuries. I did get lucky in the past and find a really good pt in a budget gym, but after he left I could really tell the difference between an ok pt and an amazing one.
    In terms of gym equipment I don't think there is that much difference, it's more the added extras like a pool and tennis courts that add cost. I don't like swimming or racket sports so that is irrelevant to me.
    I would be swayed by a hot tub though....
    Because I like that external motivation I have never stuck to any kind of at home exercise program. I did enjoy regular dance classes at one point but that became more expensive than the gym at £6 a class.

To me the main difference between gyms I've engaged with and gyms I haven't, is the quality of the staff.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Though I love my Planet Fitness (I use cardio and circuits - no free weights), I don't think I'd call them motivating. I've been to several different locations and they are completely different vibe wise. I agree with the consensus - tour your available gyms. Use any guest passes they offer to try them out on the days/times you'd actually be using them. If you are a class person, see if you can take a class or two before committing. Good luck to you.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you live in an area where they have ClassPass, check that out. It lets you take classes at gyms and boutique fitness clubs without having a membership. That way you can try out a bunch of places or classes and see what you like.

My partner has one so she can take Barre at a Barre studio, Yoga at a yoga studio, some boot camp classes at my CrossFit box, spin classes at SoulCycle, and BodyCombat at a traditional gym.

She buys the classes in blocks of 15, doesn't pay for expensive memberships, and doesn't waste money because she only pays for what she uses - not for all the times she doesn't go....
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As others have stated you have to determine what your goals are. Being honest with you I don't like the vibe at Planet Fitness I don't consider it a gym that could help me but for some people it might be a great place to go.

What you also have to understand is no one can motivate you. The motivation has to come from within and once you figure what your own motivation is you'll have no problem going to the gym.

As for myself I like LA Fitness. It's basically a mixed crowd in there some serious lifters some casual good mixed crowd. Also I have a couple LA Fitness is near me one of the locations I wouldn't go to the management that runs that location is very poor while the one is totally different atmosphere and
  • Sara_Liz1
    Sara_Liz1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas, information, and suggestions. I love the idea of trying out a few places before committing to any certain gym, and figuring out what place will work best for me. All this is tremendously helpful!
  • Sara_Liz1
    Sara_Liz1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts on motivation and goals! Thanks!

• achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. For me, there's a gym in my building that's free! But I never go there because I'm not really a treadmill and weights kind of person. But I joined a gym that has classes and I go everyday -- I love it! Some people prefer workout at home options too (e.g. DVDs etc) or run in the park etc.. I'd start with asking what you love to do, and then decide whether the gym offers you that. If exercise isn't fun, you won't do it -- regardless of gym membership.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I joined the Y as they were the closest to me with a pool. I haven't been in that pool yet as I found there lessons for adults didn't exist and am taking them at another place in town. But I will use the pool.

Other than that, they do a "coach program" which is like PT lite. Meet with my coach every 4-6 weeks and re jig my activities. They have a variety of equipment and, except for the leg press, I've never had to wait. They need another leg press machine.
  • bobbigirl83
    bobbigirl83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have an Anytime Fitness membership and it works for me. There are no classes and no extras other than unlimited tanning and no pool. But it has the weights and cardio equipment I need and is open 24 hours. Also, I've never travelled anywhere and not had a location close, so I can still work out when I'm away from home which is important to me.
  • bobbigirl83
    bobbigirl83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I pay 35/month, FYI, which includes unlimited tanning as well if that's your thing. I also get access to all of their locations in the US.