Exercising in pain

Hello all,
I am a mom, employee at a place that requires me to be on my feet 8 hours a day, and a full time student. I am trying to find the motivation to exercise or get some kind of movement in my day. I am finding that I am too tired to exercise and when I have a day of I do like to rest. I am considered obese and before I started my job I was able to go for daily walks, but now it seems I am to tired to do that. I do know that what I eat is a large factor in my weightloss success. I guess I am just too tired to care sometimes, and I also worry about pushing my body too much because when I get home from work my feet and lower back are in a lot of pain. I almost feel like for now I should focus on my calorie intake and not the exercise, or maybe just strength training 3x a week because that doesn't require as much energy for me it seems. Thoughts please. Thank you all.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Nothing wrong with that plan. Weight loss is all about the calories. Exercise for health but it sounds like right now that's a bit much. I totally know how it is to work full time and go to school - and I didn't work out then either. I lost a lot of weight with calorie deficit only. When I finished school and had more time I started working on the fitness part of it.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,424 Member
    I can relate. I stand 8+ hrs at work and am too tired when I get home to exercise. I binge, too, which certainly doesn’t help anything at all. Every 3 months or so, I have to buy new work shoes - they break down so quickly bc I’m heavy. When my ankles and shins are on fire after a day of work, I know it’s time for new shoes. Wish I had more help for you. Good luck
  • missykatrinky
    missykatrinky Posts: 2 Member
    I think you have a good plan. Maybe on days you don't work you could walk or go swim if there is a pool nearby. I am a professor and remind my students to take activity breaks while studying to help regain focus. Break up your studies by doing some strength exercises, stretches, or a brief walk outside (Study 20-30 minutes and active break for 1-5 minutes). I'm exhausted, too, after being on my feet all day, so I do more exercise on the days I don't work.
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    I thought about doing a strength training routine 3x a week and worrying about the cardio when I'm not in pain. Until I lose some of this extra weight it will probably always be painful. Calories are my focus right now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    If you are on your feet 8 hours a day, you probably don't need much cardio. However, strength training would be excellent, and some flexibility work like yoga would also be a good idea. Mostly you need to care about how you feed yourself and you need to care enough to feed yourself for optimal health.
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    That is true and something that I strive for daily. It is difficult sometimes and I need to get back on track. I was doing great for about 4 months then something happened that was mentally and emotionally exhausting that I just didn't care so much about that part. I am now clear headed, focused, and motivated. Thanks for the straight forward answers everyone.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    strength training had unexpected benefits for me aside from the getting-strong part. lifting taught me a great deal about using my muscles as well - whether i had them or not.

admittedly i'm an unabashed fan. but just wanted to say that i like your idea. strength is worth pursuing for its own sake regardless of calorie burn and the whole fat-loss question, imo. and don't forget that while you were gaining the weight you were putting your muscles and skeletal system through 'progressive overload' just by giving them more mass to cart around every day ;)

so you probably already have way more inherent strength than you might think you do. tl;dr: dooo eeeet, if it appeals to you. there's nothing like being all badass and strong.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You have a lot on your plate. Don't be afraid to take it one step at a time. I agree with starting with your eating habits. Focus on that for 2-4 weeks, then consider the exercise part. I agree with the strength training suggestions.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Focus on your diet. Put some time into figuring out how to control what you're eating a little better, food prep or buying different things, etc. Strength training will up your metabolism a little. If you're on your feet 8 hours, and you weren't before, that is cardio. Walking is cardio remember. I know someone who lost 180 pounds walking - a lot of walking.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I agree with other posters about focusing on diet and adding in strength and flexiblity where you can. Maybe look into compression socks? They aren't a magic bullet for me but do help when I'm on my feet a lot.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    CICO for weight loss
    Cardio for heart health
    Weights for holding onto muscles while you lose

Nothing wrong with focusing just on CICO for now. Get your calories under control. I find keeping my protein up helps me with my energy levels and keeps me full longer (but everyone's different so find what works for you)
    When you can start with simple body weight exercises (like push ups, planks, squats) and walk when you can.

Start today. In a few months you'll be in a different place
    Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Phasing yourself in to a new routine, rather than trying to do everything at once, makes a lot of sense.

Keep in mind, as you get to the point of readiness to move more, it doesn't need to be some big hairy elaborate thing right away. Consider options like a walk around the block after dinner, 5-10 minutes of gentle stretching before bed, just standing up and moving around a little during commercial breaks if you watch TV - something that seems achievable and maybe even pleasant. You can always add more as time goes on.

Also, I want to say that for me, simple weight loss in itself reduced my physical discomforts/pains, through less stress on joints and possibly reduced systemic inflammation.

It's worth noting, though, that for me, the long term, gradual process of becoming stronger and fitter has made a truly huge contribution to reducing physical problems. This was not an instant thing: I've been gradually more active over 15+ years now, following cancer treatment, during most of which I was still obese. So, my view is that increasing activity is definitely worth chipping away at, as a long-term investment, as you feel able.

Best wishes on your healthier course!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    You're starting with a good plan. Even though the exercise helps the main way you're going to lose the weight right now is by reducing calories. As the weight comes off the stress on the knees and feet will be a lot less.

I lost approximately 80 lb and the level of pain on my knees are so dramatically less. Also I've had back issues but haven't been to a chiropractor in the past two years. previously I used to max out my chiropractic visits on my health plan.

I'm not sure of the exact number but I believe that for every one pound you lose it takes off 6 to 8 pounds of stress on your knees. Not sure how it relates to the back but all I could tell you is my own previous experience the weight loss has dramatically decreased my back pain.

Also as you lose weight the exercise will get dramatically easier and you'll start to do things that will totally Amaze you and you can't believe that you could actually do them
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    I can relate. I am counting steps: park my car far away, play with the kids actively, climb stairs, try to get as many steps. It’s not perfect but it is what it is! We can only do our best
    As me as a freind if you want
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    when you say on your feet, do you mean Standing still or Walking? I can see how just Standing would kill your feet and legs.. Almost like sitting.. maybe try a brisk walk break even for one Minute ( add 1 or 2 bathroom breaks)...

I found that core exercises ( pilates on the floor) or squats etc.. help Balance the stress of Standing or Walking... A simple side Stretch from the waist helps..

I would work on calories reduction, core and stretching first....