My Knees

Options
Hi All,

I'm 34 years old and ten years ago I dislocated my patella on the left side on a night out, (Was in a full leg cast for 7 weeks luckily didn't need surgery as i had only ripped the tendons slightly....) afte I had the cast off I stopped exercising, i think this was a major factor in weight gain :'( .

I have recently started 5x5 (On week 3) and I am using a 22kg bar with 5kg either side (I have not much strength but really need to build it up...)

The problem is I had my rest day yesterday where I did a few miles walking and today I was going to go to the gym to do day three but my knees are so sore.

Will this get worse or better? (I'm in the UK so seeing a doctor isn't instant and we have to generally wait 2 weeks for an appointment....)

Thanks in advance! xx

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    See a physio

who would 'woo' this??

OP, yes, you should see a physio or doctor - only they will be able to tell you if there is an ongoing issue and what they would recommend exercise wise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a physio

who would 'woo' this??

OP, yes, you should see a physio or doctor - only they will be able to tell you if there is an ongoing issue and what they would recommend exercise wise.

this is MFP....
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I didn’t woo. I called a physio and have an appointment in a few weeks when I get paid, he reckons a couple of sessions so nothing to high impact :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Is it pain, or soreness?
  • Bealey2011
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Is it pain, or soreness?
    it’s hard to explain, not agony but when I walk I can feel the pressure and they are sore at the joints and a bit tight, if that makes sense?

• TavistockToad
    Options
    Bealey2011 wrote: »
    Is it pain, or soreness?
    it’s hard to explain, not agony but when I walk I can feel the pressure and they are sore at the joints and a bit tight, if that makes sense?

possibly just a bit of overuse or not stretching properly, but with knees you cant be too careful!

i also take cod liver oil with glucosamine which is supposed to be good for knees!
  • vern159
    vern159 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Both of my knees are shot....Ice and elevate after your workout and maybe a couple times a day when they’re cranky. An over the counter anti inflammatory such as aleve will help also. I also use neoprene knee braces while working out, it offers support and warms the knees keeping them loose.
    Also stretch your calves, hamstring and quads before and after exercising. Tight muscles don’t help your knees either.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Pick up some knee wraps or sleeves in addition to seeing the physio, compression really helps. In time, with proper form and gradual progression, it will get stronger.
  • Bealey2011
    Options
    Thanks guys....Stretching ice and physio x
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Did you properly rehab after your injury?

Definitely keep your doctor's appointment and take it easy in the mean time. Realize that major injury does pre-dispose you to arthritis so it might be a bit of that...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't randomly start using wraps, sleeves, or braces until physio tells you what will best for your situation. You don't want to make it worse.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Don't randomly start using wraps, sleeves, or braces until physio tells you what will best for your situation. You don't want to make it worse.

agreed!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Bealey2011 wrote: »
    Is it pain, or soreness?

Hi! Did you take anything for it? Like anti inflammatories eg Narproxen?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,044 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up a bit before the 5x5, and maybe foam rolling or stretching gently after?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    It takes some time for knees and joints to toughen up when you start exercising. If you walked a few miles after being sedentary , that is gonna make them sore. I don't rush off to the dr every time i have an ache or pain, who has the money for that? Use your judgement. Rest a few days and see how you feel. Usually when you start a new workout you ease into it over the course of a few weeks or a month or so.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As others have previously stated you should definitely see an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist. The orthopedic surgeon can diagnose what's wrong with your knee and the physical therapist in conjunction with the orthopedic surgeon will work out an exercise program for.

I'm a 57 year old male. A couple years ago I had a double hip replacement and I was talking to my doctor about what kind of exercise program I should do. He deferred any suggestions and said the physical therapist would work it out for.
    Just to put things in perspective my orthopedic surgeon was not shrugging me off. He used to head up the Orthopedics department at a teaching hospital and he's well-known throughout the state as one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the state.
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note regarding what the OP said about living in the U.K...... we kinda don’t choose who we see medically. You can wait two weeks to get an appointment with your general practitioner. IF they chose to refer you to the orthopaedic department you may be seen by a orthopaedic consultant in anything from 12 weeks - infinity. Physio generally can be accessed privately and some areas of the country can be accessed through the National health system by self referral. X-rags, scans and tests etc all have to be arranged by your general practitioners and only when they feel it is justified.

So plus side....we don’t pay for all that (we’ll except through taxes) but just to say, in the U.K. we can’t just pop to whatever medical professional we feel is necessary unless we’re willing to pay a lot of money!