• finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    apky38ex6a4t.jpg
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,264 Member
    slessofme wrote: »
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy and Gone by Lisa Gardner

Have you read Find Her by Lisa Gardner? I had never read any of her books until this one and now I'll have to put her name on my list of authors to read.

Yes. I have quite a few of her books. I still have Alone and Fear Nothing on my shelf to read yet. I can't put them down. Quincy and Rainie are great together.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Just started Damaged by Lisa Scottoline. This book has definetly drawn me in.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Night Play, book 5 in the Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Does anyone read around here? Besides the threads of course... this is what I'm working on now.. it's wildly interesting, I'm nearly done.

xsyv0pdalixp.jpg

I'm reading a similar book but it's about Jerusalem. It's called... Jerusalem :|:p
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    I'm currently reading the night huntress saga (fair few books to read)
    I read on my kindle x
  • katenix08
    katenix08 Posts: 31 Member
    @katenix08 I would absolutely read another one of Howard's books, thanks for the suggestion I'll look it up. My next book is Alvin Toffler's Future Shock.. I find it interesting that you're reading about genetics, I also have an interest I recently finished a book about mitochondrial eve.

Was the book The Seven Daughters of Eve or something more recent? I started that one when it came out but it was a library copy so renewals weren't allowed on recent releases and I never found my way back. I'm a bit obsessed with anything that discusses the gene editing tool CRISPR Cas 9 and it's role in de-extinction applications. So I started How To Clone A Mammoth this week. If you like graphic novels in addition to genetics, I recommend The Stuff of Life by Mark Schultz. It's a fun reference book to have on hand.
  • katenix08
    My current personal reading/research drive is the Roman currency crisis of the third century.

Currently reading the edict of max prices which diocletian issued in 300. Much of the edict is lost but the remainimg fragments paint a scary picture of the inflatiom and crisis of the time.

Thank god for Constantine's coinage reforms, right?
  • trvshm
    trvshm Posts: 79 Member
    A Sand County Almanac
  • SaucySquirrel79
    SaucySquirrel79 Posts: 20 Member
    Just finished The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood. Overall it was ok, but the open-ended conclusion felt super awkward and random... not even a cliffhanger...just kind of a letdown. :/
  • sdhaysrx
    sdhaysrx Posts: 210 Member
    Rereading Women Who Run With the Wolves
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    The seven-book stack in front is my currently-reading pile. The bigger stacks in back are my to-read books.

607g0bgvmmkq.jpg
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman! One of my favourite books.
  • Losethoses2017
    Losethoses2017 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    I love this thread. I'm currently reading Victoria. My 17yo checked it out from the library. She knows I like historical fiction. It's okay.
  • katenix08
    katenix08 wrote: »
    My current personal reading/research drive is the Roman currency crisis of the third century.

Currently reading the edict of max prices which diocletian issued in 300. Much of the edict is lost but the remainimg fragments paint a scary picture of the inflatiom and crisis of the time.

Thank god for Constantine's coinage reforms, right?
    Not sure if you are being serious or picking on my reading choices. It is a dry subject for sure.

I have already covered a lot of years with constantine and the merging of the tetrarchy - both administrative and economic. It’s incredible, kiddo. He was a smart man.

I’m also a religious guy... so the whole milvan bridge jesus apparition is fascinating.

The reason I am getting to diocletian now is:
    1. The problem statement is always interesting after you have studied the solution
    2. Diocletian was a good monarch - the first one after a long, long time to retire and not be assassinated.

Not being assassinated means michael corleone status in early Rome.

Also, the coinage usurpers of that age have a lot in common with the disrupters of our time. You hear things like bitcoin and lot of polemics that conventional currency has failed us.

I assure you I was not making fun of your reading choices! I have many interests that are either obscure knowledge or have a tendency to make my audience squirm. It sounds fascinating! I felt compelled to comment because I had a history professor once who was madly in love with Constantine and after lecturing on any matter prior to his era, he would cross himself and say, "Thank God for Constantine!"
    I had to jot down what you wrote for number one :"The problem statement is always interesting after you have studied the solution" Well said!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,227 Member
    Late Show, M Connelly