Keto Keto Keto

Options
Hi all! I am new to the Keto diet and am just finishing day 3! I am looking for friends on here to keep one another motivated with, bounce tips and recipes off each other.
P.s I am feeling the Keto flu for sure right now

Replies

• nadgale
    nadgale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. I've just started keto too. But I'm still quite confuse about the calorie and carb calculations. So I'm just avoiding carbs al together. Can you guys help guide me with them?
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Keto here. Keto is low carb, mid protein, high fat. I have mine set to 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. Keto is usually 50g or less. Those with medically prescribed keto keep carbs at 20g or less. Protein is set to .6g to 1g times body weight.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    mindyraew wrote: »
    Hi all! I am new to the Keto diet and am just finishing day 3! I am looking for friends on here to keep one another motivated with, bounce tips and recipes off each other.

Keto flu means your electrolytes are low, you need sodium, potassium, and magnesium. I personally use Morton Lite Salt and a magnesium supplement. I have read that chicken/beef broth helps too as it is high in sodium
  • mindyraew
    mindyraew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    mindyraew wrote: »

Keto flu means your electrolytes are low, you need sodium, potassium, and magnesium. I personally use Morton Lite Salt and a magnesium supplement. I have read that chicken/beef broth helps too as it is high in sodium

Thank you so much! I am going to check out the supplements today and get the upper hand on this! :)
  • JennaSmith2391
    JennaSmith2391 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello I am on week 3 of Keto lifestyle. I am looking to add some friends for additional support. Please add/ friend me: JennaSmith2391. We can do this!!!
  • journeyto69
    journeyto69 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How can I add friends
  • mindyraew
    mindyraew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How can I add friends

You go to the persons profile. Then just under where is says their number of friends there is a button to click and add them as a friend.
  • melodyradmore
    melodyradmore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/#gender-age-height-and-weight

You can find a Keto Calculator here to help you.
  • esdesign
    esdesign Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I aim for 20g but as long as im under 40g i know its kicking along.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dont forget Keto isnt quite the same as low carb, they are similar but not quite the same. Keto involves getting into a state of Ketosis, either fasting ketosis or nutritional ketosis, whereas low carb does not.

Macros for standard keto would be 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. So protein is kept at a medium level only. You want 20-22g net carbs maximum to start with, but after you become fat adapted you might be able to increase it to 30g and maybe a bit more, depends on you individually. Protein should be between 20-25% max.

Oh and for carbs you are looking to eat plenty of leafy green vegetables as these contain essential vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy. Fats should be good quality like grass fed butter or ghee or coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, not trans fats, hydrogenated fats or vegetable fats. You want more Omega 3 fats to balance out the excessive Omega 6 levels that most people tend to get.

For health purposes if you can get everything organic even better, as chemicals are not good. Also be careful with 'diet' soda pop as again they contain chemicals. The body doesn't like non-natural chemicals.

For low carb people usually go with high protein up to 30-35% and carbs usually around 10%, with fat 55-60%. But this is low carb not keto as you probably wont be in ketosis.

Enjoy!
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    To avoid keto flu take 1-2g of high quality salt per day like celtic sea salt, as these contain essential minerals. Do not use standard salt! Also make sure you get enough potassium and magnesium, preferably through your vegetable foods. These will keep your electrolytes in balance. This is necessary as you will lose water and that flushes out the above, therefore you need to replace them.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a bit behind the curve, but I started Keto last Thursday. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the protein and fat percentages. I've been really watching carbs and set myself up with 25g of carbs or less. I've noticed that I've already lost 4 pound but I think that's just water weight. I won't know more until later this week. Kinda difficult to pick your battles based on foods you want to eat. I've been staying away from sugars, fruits, breads of all kinds, pastas of all kinds. I got the Keto-flu I guess, just had achy feeling for a couple of days.
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    I also am fairly new to Keto, but really enjoying it. First time I tried to lose weight & not feeling like I'm starving all the time even when I don't eat for 16 hrs.
  • obx1bag
    obx1bag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! I've been doing Keto for about 4 months. Dropped just over 25lbs so far. I'm a runner so I used to eat 300g carbs a day! Going down to 100g I felt a lot better. Then finally transitioning to 30g carbs a day feels so good. Here's my favorite recipe:

Keto Tendies
    INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs chicken filets
    Bag of pork rinds, 4+ oz
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3 eggs
    Optional: shredded cheese, lettuce, and ranch dressing

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400.
    Crush the pork rinds in a bag. Add the spices to it and mix well.
    Put eggs in bowl and mix up.
    Dip the chicken filets in the egg, then coat well with the pork rind mix.
    Spread onto sprayed pan. Cook 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
    Best served 2-3 pieces of chicken, mixed with some cheese, lettuce, and ranch.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the groups? There is a keto and a low carb one.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,308 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er ...anyone is welcome to add me :)
  • lketty
    lketty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started keto this past Tuesday and I’m kicking myself for not doing this sooner.
    I’m absolutely loving it… especially once I started getting my electrolytes in.
    I don’t know if it’s placebo effect or what, but I feel SO MUCH energy and my mood is vastly improved. Looking forward to see how it feels a few weeks in!

I think it’s great to have accountability buddies, I’ll shoot you a request if that’s cool