I need tips doing a Biggest Loser contest...

Options
Hi there! :) I joined The Biggest Loser at my church...but it doesn't start til August 27th.... My question is: Should I wait til then to start and go all out?... or should I start now?... I'd really like to win, so I guess I'm afraid if I start now, I won't lose as much when I start Aug. 27th when I have my initial weigh-in. The contest ends right before Thanksgiving. I lost 70 lbs in 2009, so I know I can do this. Also, any other tips from anyone that has done a Biggest Loser contest on what to eat before a weigh-in, or anything you can suggest to do, etc...
Thanks in advance for any help.
-Vikki

Replies

• itsgrantsnitch
    Options
    Good luck! I would suggest waiting until it starts or maybe eating more so you have more weight to lose. Once it starts personally I would just do aerobic exercises to lose fat and not gain too much muscle because muscle weighs more than fat and it's all about numbers. :)
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would start now. To keep weight off you want to only lose 1-3 pounds a week so even starting now you will lose maybe 3-9 lbs. Maybe don't go hard core but definietly start.

I understand wanting to win but this is about you getting healthy too. Use it as a test run with maybe new workouts or different foods.

Competition is a great way to motivate you. Good Luck!!!!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I'd say start eating healthier now.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Starting good habits now is a good idea, and if you want to get a little nudge drink a ton of water the day of the weigh in :P
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Eating more so you have more weight to lose...the mind boggles...

I would start now, so at least you will be in the habit by the time you get there. You aren't going to lose a significant amount between now and then, but you will have the advantage that you will have already altered your schedule and your eating habits.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Depends if you just want to win, or keep the weight off too.

If winning at all costs is what matters, eat lots of salty food in the week before, so you retain lots of water. Then, when it starts, cut all the salt, and you'll lose a ton of water weight.
  • brown02134
    Options
    Good luck with this, i did a biggest loser competition at my company earlier this year, and lost 43 pounds, about 18%. Here's what I learned.
    Don't start your diet now, 12 weeks is a long time to constantly stay on a plan. I didn't do anything to gain weight before the first weigh in, the winner did -- don't cut carbs or salt for the week before, and drink as much water as you can hold just before weighing.
    Number 1 thing that worked for me -- get a buddy and push each other.
    Other things -- work out 6 days a week, cardio (i did 2 one hour sessions) -- don't waste time on weight training.
    Zig zag your calories for the week to avoid plateauing.
    Vary your diet, i did low carb for a while, low fat for a while, vegan for a week. I found making one or two primary dishes for the week helped me stay on track.
    Commit to losing weight at every weigh-in and aim for that day. I went to solid-food free days the day before the weigh-in, switching to only v-8 and protein shakes.
    Use the current leader as your goal, keep up with them or beat them.
    Have fun.
  • brown02134
    Options
    i should have said 12 weeks is a long time to stay on an agressive weight loss plan, you can stay on a healthy plan for life!
  • VikkiLynn
    Options
    Hey guys, Thanks so much for the tips! :) Appreciate everyone that took the time to write something.