LONG RANT... but please, i need advice.

Options
NotGuiltylawyer
NotGuiltylawyer Posts: 39 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Greetings, i have been using this app for over 2 years now. I have had great success for the first year or so loosing over 30 pounds. About a year ago, i started to loosen up the diet a bit while still maintaining regular exercise as i had reached my goal weight. I have gained 15+ pounds within the last year. I am very discouraged. I still workout 4-5 times per week.

In the past year I was doing 30 mins cardio ( running or elliptical), 45 min of weights 3-4 times per week and the scale was not moving, actually, it was going up. I continued, not giving up thinking, it will be worth it eventually. Well, NO it was not working. For those who say, "your gaining muscle" ... not true, i have been measuring and i am not loosing inches, i am actually gaining fat. My clothes are tight and i have been taking photos every week, and no improvement.

So about 3 weeks ago, i upped my cardio adding 15 minutes. A also incorporated hot yoga 1-2 per week. Still not seeing results. I AM WORKING OUT 5 TIMES PER WEEK.
My diet is not bad, not great... but i treat myself a couple of times per week for my own sanity. I make my own lunches for work... upped my water intake. However, my portions are quite large, i will have a humongous salad and a big chicken breast smothered in pesto and low fat mozzarella for supper, for example.

My guilty pleasure is natural popcorn with sea salt, honey nut cherrios and a bowl of pasta once every 2 weeks.

I am 5"10 and weighing 202 pounds.

I AM SO DISCOURAGED. Any guidance, tips, would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agree with Malibu. Logging is so important. You are a couple inches taller than me. I am having the same issue with not losing, but I continue to log. I am envious of your running and doing the elliptical. My knees keep me from running, and when I do the elliptical, my hips hurt so bad after about 5 minutes. Start logging again, keep up with the exercise, and you may be surprised!! Good luck!!
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

have you ever tried yoga or hot yoga? i have serious knees and lower back issues and hot yoga has done wonders.
    [/quote]

I have done yoga, and i did like it. I may need to look around for a place with hot yoga. I did go for a massage this past week, heavenly!!

• kanderson2013
    kanderson2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion, but when a person needs to lose a lot of weight they need to find something they can live with forever. No loosing up. Treats make life enjoyable for many of us and if you are watching your portion size and have no medical problems, go for it. But you have to gauge what your portion size is not the product makers. And count every single calorie. I had lost 60+ pounds when I first started here 4 years ago. I quit counting because I told myself "I got this!". I didn't have it and now I'm right back to where I started from.
    Stay focused and learn to live within your caloric means. You can do this, girl!
  • unparalleledAF
    unparalleledAF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its easy to not realize what we are eating can be biting us in the *kitten*.
    Just yesterday i had a friend tell me every morning she has a carrot muffin from tims filled with cream cheese for breakfast. She thought she was making a healthier choice cause it was carrot. That muffin really isn't any different then her going to mcdonalds for a burger tho.

Commercially sold muffins aren't much better than cupcakes. Add the cream cheese and your friend may as well be having a cupcake!

To address the question at hand: OP, you need to start logging accurately. I'm not saying this in a mean way, either, since innacurate logging is what hinders me ("I'm sure that was a serving of almonds. Yeah...definitely") You'll also have to steer more towards what your body needs (more greens, blander chicken) and not what it wants (mmm...pesto).

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell the amount of exercise you are doing isn't much ... maybe 300 cal per day?
    And it sounds like you're not paying close attention to what you're eating.

Under those circumstances it is very easy to gain weight.