Play

Options
It's not ever talked about much, but from my experience and opinion, one thing that a lot of fit people have is common is PLAY. To enjoy and have fun doing a physical activity is one of the best things you can do for you health.
People who isolate themselves from having fun and socially playing, end up with feelings of loneliness and depression and many times these are triggers to make food their friend instead of people.
Why are kids usually thin and happy most of the time? They are notorious for playing. No mind you I know as adults we can't play the same way, but a game of shooting basketball, Dance Revolution with your kids on a game player, TAG, or just even some fun biking can make the difference not only for your health, but mentally as well.

I'm gonna go ride my bike now with my DD now before the afternoon football games.
A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I really going to the park and playing on the jungle gym with my daughter. Shooting baskets too. I'm a terrible shot so I spend a lot of time running after the ball but it's still fun.
  • jemhh
    Options
    He said many, not all or everybody.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    He said many, not all or everybody.

No, the "many" was with regard to triggers.

I am not socially isolated by any means, and I have plenty of fun without any of the activities mentioned. We all have different definitions of fun, and different kinds of social groups.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People who isolate themselves from having fun and socially playing, end up with feelings of loneliness and depression and many times these are triggers to make food their friend instead of people.

I find the above to be an inaccurate summation. Not ALL people end up depressed and lonely from not playing games socially. I like to have fun alone, preferably infront of my PC or console playing a game or taking photos of birds outside. And I've been thin my entire life. And never been depressed or lonely. (I gained when I stopped smoking 2 years ago and have now lost it)

Your post makes people like me sound pitiful. I find it offensive.

I don’t feel pitiful or offended, but I’m pretty sure I don’t like any activities that qualify as ‘play’ by your definition, OP. Glad you have found your way, but it really isn’t the RIGHT way for ALL, as I do feel you imply.

So pick a physical activity that is play oriented that you do like. He didn't state his list was exhaustive. The principle is a great one.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I tend to agree with you. In fact, this morning as I looked at the interval sessions on my TomTom watch, I decided I didn't like the fact that one session was 'work' the next 'rest'. I thought 'play' instead of 'work' was a much better description of how I want to view running.

Having said that, I was running on my own. Not part of a group. Not being 'social'. I interacted with walkers and dogs but none of them were part of my session of play officially.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It's not ever talked about much, but from my experience and opinion, one thing that a lot of fit people have is common is PLAY. To enjoy and have fun doing a physical activity is one of the best things you can do for you health.
    Why are kids usually thin and happy most of the time? They are notorious for playing. No mind you I know as adults we can't play the same way, but a game of shooting basketball, Dance Revolution with your kids on a game player, TAG, or just even some fun biking can make the difference not only for your health, but mentally as well.

I'm gonna go ride my bike now with my DD now before the afternoon football games.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think there are some separate things to discuss here.
    1. Fit people find physical activities that they enjoy
    2. Spending time with others is fun for many people.
    3. Not doing 1 or 2 leads to loneliness, depression and emotional eating
    4. Children are usually thin and happy because they play most of the time.

#1 is probably the most true thing about the OP. If you enjoy something you will do it more. There are lots of ways to be physically active that could be fun. Gardening, swimming, biking, walking, hiking, tennis, bowling, climbing, dancing, roller skating, etc.
    #2 is variable. Some people don't enjoy time with others as much. Being social is not relaxing or fun. They are not necessarily lonely or depressed. These people can still be happy and healthy if they are less social in their pursuits.
    #3 I think this is putting mental health matters off too lightly. Depression is complicated and hard. People of all sorts-even athletes- do suffer from it. You might not know they are depressed. If someone is really depressed they are probably better off seeking therapy and medication rather than struggling to fix themselves by playing and being more social.
    #4 seems to idealize childhood. We often hear about a childhood obesity epidemic. Childhood anxiety and depression are pretty common. Playing is very important and healthy for kids for many reasons but doesn't mean all kids who play are happy and thin.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    MsChewMe wrote: »
    Nice! I’m going for a hike this afternoon with my kiddo and will be looking for snakes on the trail. Fun stuff.

How can anyone be offended by this OP, it’s the internet for crying out loud.

There was a snake on the street one day while I was out running. This was in my corner of suburbia. At first I thought it was rubber, but then I got a good look and ... nope, it was the real deal. Something had rendered it no longer among the living, but that was something you don't see every day in South Jersey.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Nice! I’m going for a hike this afternoon with my kiddo and will be looking for snakes on the trail. Fun stuff.

There was a snake on the street one day while I was out running. This was in my corner of suburbia. At first I thought it was rubber, but then I got a good look and ... nope, it was the real deal. Something had rendered it no longer among the living, but that was something you don't see every day in South Jersey.

Oh! Two Saturdays ago, my daughter and I went to Target and found a snake on the floor in the dollar section. I thought I saw a snake wriggling on the ground as I walked up, figured a rubber snake had fallen out of a bin, but then when I leaned over to take a look it wriggled along and flicked its tongue. It was just a little guy but definitely real.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Oh! Two Saturdays ago, my daughter and I went to Target and found a snake on the floor in the dollar section. I thought I saw a snake wriggling on the ground as I walked up, figured a rubber snake had fallen out of a bin, but then when I leaned over to take a look it wriggled along and flicked its tongue. It was just a little guy but definitely real.

I wonder how it got there! I've seen random birds in stores, and that's easy enough to figure out, but a snake? I guess it depends where you live? Where I live, it wouldn't be too easy for a snake to mosey on into Target!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I find the above to be an inaccurate summation. Not ALL people end up depressed and lonely from not playing games socially. I like to have fun alone, preferably infront of my PC or console playing a game or taking photos of birds outside. And I've been thin my entire life. And never been depressed or lonely. (I gained when I stopped smoking 2 years ago and have now lost it)

If you find that post offensive, you might have a very thin skin. I reread it and didn't see any criticism. Just suggestions.

Seriously. I'm a loner whose idea of bliss is to go outside and have a run by herself. When I run downhill, I sing to myself that I'm flying. That's my idea of playing.

I know most people are sociable and that I'm an outlier. It's okay. I'm comfortable in this regard. Niner wasn't picking on people who see things differently. The idea is to have a playful attitude. That includes not taking yourself so seriously, people.

I do Little House on the Prairie arms. So much fun!
  • jemhh
    Options

I wonder how it got there! I've seen random birds in stores, and that's easy enough to figure out, but a snake? I guess it depends where you live? Where I live, it wouldn't be too easy for a snake to mosey on into Target!

I'm in Ohio and it definitely wouldn't be easy here. I wondered if it was a pet that somehow traveled in somebody's purse or even something that was in a shipping container. It could have been something from outside but I'm 41 and other than seeing a few while in the woods while camping, I can't remember ever seeing a snake just tootling around outdoors here.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

If you find that post offensive, you might have a very thin skin. I reread it and didn't see any criticism. Just suggestions.

Seriously. I'm a loner whose idea of bliss is to go outside and have a run by herself. When I run downhill, I sing to myself that I'm flying. That's my idea of playing.

I know most people are sociable and that I'm an outlier. It's okay. I'm comfortable in this regard. Niner wasn't picking on people who see things differently. The idea is to have a playful attitude. That includes not taking yourself so seriously, people.

There's this big sledding hill in our main town park and when I used to take the kids there to play on the playground equipment when they were younger, we'd climb to the top of it and run down the sides of the hill like that all the time.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I stick my arms out and pretend I'm an aeroplane.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Introvert here. After having to spend all day at work dealing with people, all I want when I get off work is to be alone! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am not depressed. I am not lonely. I do not have emotional eating problems. My weight has been gained due to a couple health issues, stress, and worrying about other people instead of myself. My desire for alone time has zero to do with it.