Anyone lost weight by Running Everyday?

Options
I recently bought a treadmill and enjoy running on it! I read it is a good way of helping to lose weight... Is it true?? Any true success stories from running??? Any Tips or recommendations???

Replies

• sunitaramsaran
    sunitaramsaran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yea perfectly Understandable!!! Thanks for the Reply!
  • sunitaramsaran
    sunitaramsaran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @Freebutterfli Thanks for Sharing!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a treadmill and enjoy running on it! I read it is a good way of helping to lose weight... Is it true?? Any true success stories from running??? Any Tips or recommendations???

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, but running can help you to manage that deficit. The big benefit from running is improved cardiovascular fitness, and improved lower body strength. For women in particular it can also reduce the incidence of osteopetrosis as a result of bone mass improvements.

That said, I would not recommend running every day. It takes time to build up the resilience to running higher mileage. A lot of people have success with a plan like Couch to 5K, which has alternate days running. Some form of cross training is very beneficial; resistance training, cycling, swimming etc.

With respect to the advice above, coaching philosophy at the moment is that stretching before running can increase injury risk and is not recommended. I'd add a point about shoes. It's not about having supportive shoes, is about having the appropriate shoes for your gait. Go to a running shop and get some help from them.
  • davidcoxlummen
    davidcoxlummen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to your personal fitness-level. If you are a decent runner already, I guess the daily run won't hurt. If you are quite new to running, I would run max every other day. Also, don't add too much time/distance at once. Build your way up at an easy pace.
    And maybe the most important tip: listen to your body, if it's feeling achy, rest... A day of rest is better than weeks of injury.
    What the weightloss is concerned.. It'll come... My personal experience tells me that, whenever I plan on running, I eat less in advance ... + if your muscles start needing more nutrition, you will burn more energy in rest also...
    But, as stated above, weight loss will always come from a calorie deficit, don't think that running a mile allows you to eat a bag of chips while watching tv :smiley:
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are very overweight or obese take is slowly.. or you will only eventually injure yourself. Plantar, stress fractures etc in the foot etc.... My personal experience and from many others I have talked to. It is ok to walk or do other non-Impact.. Running is stress on the Joints and bones.. can be both benefitical or negative... Added weight just adds more to the negative stress.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit, so focus on that :) Running is great, but if you're just starting out I would advise you to run 2-3 times a week just to give your muscles some time to recover in-between, maybe look at free programs like C25K to get started?

Good luck!
  • michaelcoxeu
    michaelcoxeu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're already active (e.g. sports that already stress your bones and ligaments) and you listen to your body there's no real reason why you shouldn't be able to run every day. If you're not active, slowly build up to running every day. Remember stressing your body doesn't make it stronger, recovery does. Overdoing it doesn't get you anywhere. I can really recommend following a good training program rather than just doing the same thing every day. After the noob gains wear off a lot of people get stuck in a rut and quit. (As I did a couple of years ago). A training program gives you long slow runs, interval training, threshold runs, ... and rest days(!), so things remain interesting, and at least for me, helped me get better at running, which in turn gives you the joy to keep going, to keep getting better... Have fun running and keep getting better!
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Any type of exercise helps your body lose weight. Running tends to also focus on cardio which is always great. However walking at 60% max HR is very good for burning fat.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In short - yes.

Longer version is that it doesn’t matter what you do as long as you’re at a calorie deficit. Which daily running would help you achieve.
    Just remember rest days are just as important, listen to your body (if it hurts, stop/change) and most importantly keep it enjoyable.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm another who gained weight while training for a marathon. I think it reaches a point where the exercise is so intense that the calorie deficit cannot be maintained and if you aren't careful, you end up eating sugary, energy-dense foods just to keep going. I love running, but I'd never offer it as a guaranteed WL solution.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm another who gained weight while training for a marathon. I think it reaches a point where the exercise is so intense that the calorie deficit cannot be maintained and if you aren't careful, you end up eating sugary, energy-dense foods just to keep going. I love running, but I'd never offer it as a guaranteed WL solution.

i gain doing a half.... :laugh: the runger is real!!!!!!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is the way that you personally find sustainable. However you do have to keep in mind that no amount of running will lead to weight loss if you aren’t eating at a deficit. I spent about seven months losing weight before I started running a couple of months ago, and I’ve found that even at fairly low levels of activity, I have to be careful not to overeat. Still, if you’re conscientious about your diet, I think it absolutely can help, if you enjoy it and it keeps you going down that healthy path.