Anyone else with pcos?

Options
shoilidk
shoilidk Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Started my weight loss after gaining 40+ lbs and figuring out I have pcos. Had to change my entire diet lol. I'm trying to eat a low carb diet (no processed carbs only fruits and veg). So far some good days and bad days. Feel free to add me :) Anyone else with pcos and have some tips?

Replies

• oelr9
    oelr9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and have had it for many yrs and its a daily struggle! Between weight health issues and hormonal imbalance is like ahhhh!
  • MarieTrees23
    MarieTrees23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pcos, hypothyroidism, etc here.
  • shoilidk
    shoilidk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oelr9 wrote: »
    I have pcos and have had it for many yrs and its a daily struggle! Between weight health issues and hormonal imbalance is like ahhhh!

Totally feel you. The bloating, the exhaustion, the hair, acne... :( but it's good to know that we're not alone with this :)
  • Cnc0826
    Cnc0826 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    PCOS, insulin resistance and hashimotos here. Sucks! Feel free to add me
  • silverblaze55
    silverblaze55 Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    PCOS, insulin resistance, hypothyroid here too.

Quick tips:
    1. Avoid high-fructose anything, including sweet fruits like melons, pineapple, and grapes.
    2. Carbs - fiber = net effective carbs (which impact blood sugar). If you can find whole wheat bread with high fiber (net carbs less than 5 per slice) and only eat one slice at a time, you can keep a little bread in your diet. I found whole wheat and flax tortillas that are 5 net carbs a piece, and they're huge so I only eat half of one at a time. Good for wraps and burritos.
    3. Proteins and fats help slow down carb processing. An open faced sandwich loaded with stuff is much better than a piece of toast.
    4. Carbs that break down slower are acceptable. Beans, corn, oatmeal and quinoa for example.
    5. Quinoa can replace rice in any recipe.
    6. You can still eat corn chips and tortillas, just less chip/tortilla and more dip/topping/fillings. (see #3).
    7. Stevia is a natural sweetener that doesn't impact blood sugar, so it's insulin resistance friendly. It has a weird taste but it's better than nothing or being sick from eating sugar. Does okay mixed in greek yogurt or oatmeal.
    8. There's a brand of chocolate call Lily's that's sweetened with stevia. Just don't, y'know, eat a whole bar at a time.
    9. Stevia is Not Good in coffee.
    10. There are more resources for people with type 2 diabetes than for insulin resistance and pcos, especially when it comes to recipes.
    General disclaimer: all this is based on my experiences and info from my doc. I'm at a point where I can feel it when I eat something I shouldn't; pasta makes me feel sluggish but I can eat quinoa all day long with no problems. But everybody is different, so, y'know, listen to your body above all else.

ETA: the diet gets easier. It took me a year to settle into it because I didn't take it seriously at first and kept cheating. Treating it like I have food allergies got me over the metal block. Over two years now and I'm doing fine.
  • LilPetesMama
    LilPetesMama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Pcos, endometriosis, infertility, diabetic, pulmonary embolisms. All not fun.
    Feel free to add me.
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    PCOS and Hypothyroid here
  • BabeMeister83
    BabeMeister83 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    PCOS and endometriosis here.