Help, I just binged. what now?

Options
I have been eating pretty healthily with the occasional binge here and there, but tonight I just ate 3 deep fried Oreos, some icecream, a cup of kettle corn, and a bowl of chili. I’m lethargic and disappointed. Should I detox by cutting my calories tomorrow, or what?? I don’t know what to do to get back on track

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Sounds like dinner, dessert and some snacks to me...
    Log it, move on. Don't "punish" yourself for eating food. Perhaps consider changing your attitude towards food (ie, don't demonise foods).

^^This. It's done, let it go. Though you may want to examine why you did it - is your eating plan overly restrictive (ie are you cutting out a bunch of foods you think you shouldn't eat)? Is your calorie deficit too aggressive? Both of these things can lead to binging.
  • Rayvenx54
    Rayvenx54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My family used to diet by having a "cheat day" every week. They would be allowed to go over their calorie goal for that day every week and it helped them to deal with the repressed feeling of having to watch what they ate all week.

This worked great for my grandfather but for me, that day makes it insanely difficult to get back on track the next day on top of those awful feelings of being sleepy and even stomach discomfort.

Remember that you are only human, if you've been a binger your entire life, it's going to take time to adjust and sometimes you will give into that weakness. Like livinglean said, log it, accept that it happened and move on to tomorrow. Don't starve yourself, just eat like you normally would and learn how to deal with your cravings.

If you can, increasing protein throughout the day and having small, protein packed snacks will help. Good luck!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As in the movie, "Tomorrow is another day."
    You can't undo today.
    Forget the Uh-Oh, except to remember what it felt like.
    Get back on track tomorrow.
    If you feel you need to be under your calorie budget for the next day or two, fine, but don't try to make it all up in one or two days.
    Just do your best to stay on track as you move forward.
    Best of luck to you.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Accept that it happened and move on. You might hold some water due to the extra sodium that you consumed but don't worry about it. If I were you, I'd wait a couple days to weigh myself again.

Keep with your usual food plan. 1 day of over eating is not a big deal. You didn't gain weight by overeating once every so often! If you want, you could do some extra cardio tomorrow or use the fuel to shoot for a new weightlifting PR.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Figure out why you did this and what you can do differently next time you're faced with a similar situation..
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So I don't know if this comes across bad, but binges are typically 3,000+ calories in one sitting. I am a binge eater and historically the following has been consumed, all in one sitting: 2 junior chickens, 2 mcdoubles, 2 large fries, a bag of chips, a bagel or two and usually a 2L of some kind of pop.

I don't want to compare binges but if this is what you consider a binge, what are you usually eating in a day? And how did you get to a place where you need to lose weight if this is considered a binge?
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I too find myself doing really well and then binge like you've mentioned. Recently I've been reading about emotional eating. I've learned that with emotional eating you crave specific foods like cake, donuts, chips where if you were truly hungry even an apple would do. I've also learned that the cravings will pass if you can hang on long enough.

If you struggle with binge eating or emotional eating, try journaling. Figure out your triggers. It has helped me to become more aware and binge less. The cycle is real but can be stopped.

Best of luck

-Barbi
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Let it go and learn from it. You may need to think of WHY you binged? Have you been restricting calories too much? Letting yourself get WAY too hungry? Have you been cutting out foods you like because you think they are "bad"? Prelogging and planning can help in the future.

Figure out your triggers. Think of things to stop you from binging (like a new hobby, or going to take a walk, call a friend, etc). You can't fix this one, but you can fix the next.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Nope. You indulged and as Scarlett says, tomorrow is another day. You didn't fall off the wagon, you just did a little extra sightseeing. You're good.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. Don't punish yourself by denying yourself your daily calories.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Log it and do better next time.

You only have to record what you did today, but after it's over it's over.

Looking back over the long term trend is what counts. You say you've been doing well most of the time

Keep it at most of the time and you'll be fine.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. Don't punish yourself by denying yourself your daily calories.

Definitely this. Starve yourself tomorrow and you will only be more likely to cave in the evening. But if you plan and pre log a day bang on the calorie goal you can feel satisfied and back in control
  • lil_moniQ
    lil_moniQ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't let this set you back. And don't give yourself too much le-way when it comes to food. Stick to getting progress done by making sure you do portion control, and also eat nutritious food that doesn't contain too much carbs or sugar or salt... You should be fine soon anyway. :) Believe in yourself. Your body isn't a place where you punish yourself. It's the only physical aspect you've got in this world. Treasure it and eat healthy. It doesn't sound easy? Make small changes first...

Gradually cutting away from junk food can definitely help you!

Good luck!