Had about 140g of protein today - is that too much?

Options
Hi all -

I am lightly active - doing allot of walking mainly but nothing more than that.

Today I had 140g or so of protein - mostly from 3 nice chicken breast fillets, one was going in the bin so thought too good to waste so made it 3.

Normally I have around 70 or 80g a day on average.

Can you overload with protein or is this one off nothing to worry about.

I'm not going mad at myself but just curious? - after all tomorrow I will be doing ALLOT of walking anyway!

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit protein you're fine! Many people on here use the protein goal MFP gives you as a minimum to make sure you get adequate nutrition. Don't let that red number bother you, you're fine :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. As long as you don't have kidney issues then having that much is fine (except for those who have esrd, who need a lot more than that).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering you are male, that is actually probably a good number to aim for each day. But to confirm, you'd have to post your stats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    One day of high protein won't matter. One day of pretty much anything doesn't matter.

In general, high protein doesn't matter so long as you have a diverse enough diet to get in whatever you need and have no preexisting issues.

140 g protein is higher than I think is really necessary, but not what I'd call especially high protein, or perhaps even high protein at all for a guy, and not high enough that it would be an issue, even for an extended period of time (unless you had a particular health issue). When talking about high protein people usually are referring to something like 200+. 140 g is about 25% of a 2250 cal diet, which is not a particularly high maintenance number for a guy.

How much you walk tomorrow (or today) has nothing to do with it unless you are concerned about the extra protein leading to extra overall calories.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My nutritionalist made this easy for me. 30gms=meal
    15gms=snack.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    15gms=snack.

.... I eat 2 meals a day. 60gms protein, from your nutritionist's recommendation, isn't going to cut it!

OP - I get around that amount every day, with no issues. I'd probably eat more if I wasn't trying to stick to my calories and other macro numbers too. Unless you have reason to limit it, you're fine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    15gms=snack.

First, anyone (with no training whatsoever) can call themselves a nutritionist (much less a "nutritionalist," which I'm not sure is even a thing) in most English-speaking countries.

Second, even if this nutritionalist is correct, he or she would only be correct for you. Health and nutrition advice given to one person can not be assumed to be appropriate for every other person.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    When I am lifting, which I haven't been recently because of illness, I aim for 120g of protein daily as a 5'7" 170ish pound female. (I really do need to weigh in at the gym and get serious about exercise again, but that's another story.) I have been eating around 90g/day since I have been sick. Long term infections are not cool.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at least 0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight daily. With a 120 pound goal, now in maintenance, I just shoot for a minimum of 100g daily, a nice round number.

There's decent research evidence that people need more protein than the RDA when losing weight, being active (especially strength-building exercise), or aging.

There are people around here who regularly eat 1.0 or even 1.2g per pound of goal and do fine.

Unless you have some rare medical condition (as described above), 140g once won't hurt you. It may even be a good idea to continue.