What vegan cookbook can't you live without?

Options
zingeber
zingeber Posts: 124 Member
I love to cook and basically collect cookbooks, so I'm curious this morning - what is your favorite vegan cookbook?

Replies

• contenj
    contenj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All of Chloe Coscarelli's cookbooks..everything in them is so so yummy!
  • zingeber
    Options
    These sound great! Myself, I started with Oh She Glows. While I like it ok, I haven't completely jumped onto the whole foods bandwagon. I've really been wanting more foods that I can prepare for non vegan roommates and, in a couple months during the holidays, family. And that is decidedly not most of oh she glows lol. I've been relying on the internet or adapting recipes from other books in my fairly sizeable collection, but I would love to find one really good, reliable go- to book. These sound like more what I need. Vegan with a Vengeance sounds particularly intriguing @janejellyroll. Thanks guys!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not vegan (pescetarian/flex) but we use the Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz ALL the time! Love it.
  • jordiemccall
    jordiemccall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thug Kitchen is great as long as you don't mind cursing (official title is Thug Kitchen:Eat like you give a *kitten*). It's funny, informative, and has great recipes!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    THUG KITCHEN IS THE *kitten*!
    And veganomicon.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    For a number of years, I've been working my way through 1,000 Vegan Recipes, one recipe at a time. I'm almost done with bean main dishes (got picatta-style chickpea cashew medallions on the menu tonight) and will be at the grains in two weeks.

I second the rec for Appetite for Reduction, though. Only thing it's missing are desserts.
  • zingeber
    Options
    Fantastic! I've looked at thug kitchen a couple times but I haven't loved the writing style (don't care about the cursing; I'm quite often cursing like a sailor irl. But I kind of want a cookbook to be just a cookbook). I may have to give it a try after all; I keep hearing such good things about it. @estherdragonbat I hadn't heard of 1000 Vegan Recipes! May have to give that one a look.

Guys, I see my book budget exploding this month. These all sound great! :D
  • iMikey
    iMikey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The Forks Over Knives Recipe app is awesome!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of vegan cookbooks. The Vegan Planet is the one I use the most, though, as I find the recipes to be the easiest with ingredients I'm used to.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Planet-Revised-Irresistible-Fantastic/dp/1558328319/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504794399&sr=1-1&keywords=vegan+planet+cookbook
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "But I could never go vegan" cookbook. All the recipes in there are bomb!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Not a book but I like vegan recipe hour on twitter
  • zingeber
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Has anybody tried the America's Test Kitchen "Vegan for Everybody" cookbook?
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only have '1,000 Vegan Recipes'
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im not a vegan but I do have The Joy of Vegan Baking. Maybe not so great for weight loss but it has amazing recipes! Ive made recipes for vegans and non vegans and everyone loves them. I bake vegan most of the time now thanks to that book.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thug Kitchen. For sure.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Just Bought Appetitie for Reduction Apple Store books. )12.99. Some great ideas there - can't wait to try them. Thanks for the tip!
  • zingeber
    Options
    So I finally bought a copy of Vegan with a Vengeance. @janejellyroll, thank you so much for the suggestion! I am so excited. It's vegan cooking for people who actually like to cook and eat delicious food - and I can make the recipes for my roommates without getting complaints or eye rolls! The pad thai was a particular hit (AND I don't have to go out and buy like 10 lbs of raw cashews before cooking from the book - unlike every vegan cookbook published in the last five years...). What a wonderful book. I'm going to go poke through Amazon and see if any of these other suggestions are being sold used for pennies ;)
  • circularsmiles
    circularsmiles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chicago Diner Cookbook!!
  • Judy2CA
    Judy2CA Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like Big Vegan by Robin Asbell. 350 recipes. I've liked everything I've made so far.