Motivation almost lost

Options
It's been 3 weeks now, the scale is probably working against me. Doesn't want to move down, and to make things even worse today showed 1kg up. I am doing everything right, eating 1000 calories per day,sometimes even less, exercising 6 times a week, and still nothing. I am at the beginning of my weight loss, I lost 5kg first 10days,and then nothing.
I am. Looking at all this successful stories and thinking that I will never reach that stage... Really killing my motivation :(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are you starving yourself?

weight loss isn't linear, eat at a reasonable deficit and be more patient.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There are many factors that could be coming into play here. Is it time for your period? Did you consume a lot of sodium the past few days? Are you weighing your food on a digital scale? You really should not be consuming under 1200 calories per day. That is not healthy. If you are not losing weight it is because you are either eating too much (in spite of thinking you're eating at a deficit... If you are not accurately measuring your food portions... Weighing food measuring liquids... You could easily be eating more calories than you think.) or you are retaining fluids. Especially if it's around time of the month.
  • fitdragon484
    fitdragon484 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    jawillo816 wrote: »
    My sister and I see a nutritionist as part of our health plan. My sister's first complaint was very much like yours: cutting calories and plenty of exercise but not losing any weight. The nutritionist told her, she was not eating enough to lose weight. She explained that if calories are to low the body will slow its metabolism in effort to preserve itself. She increased my sister's calories to 1400 per day, and said, " be patient and drink plenty of water". She assured it would come off. It did at 2-3 lbs a week. Also a lot of exercise builds muscles which is heavier, yet muscles burn at a higher rate. Reducing carbs/starches and increasing protein and cruciferous vegetables is helpful. Be sure to research how to. One more tip: research the different types and combinations of food that increases efficiency of metabolism such as certain good fats and milk products, and green tea. Dark chocolate has many benefits as well along with many spices. Hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless you!!!

Thank you so much! You guys really give me hope. I started thinking something is wrong with me.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You need more patience. You're 3 weeks in and already complaining about slowing down? Hell, water retention can bump me up 2-4 lbs from day to day.

#1 - take measurements if you want to track more accurately. Prior days diet, salt intake/water retention, muscle gain...there are many things that can 'stall' the scales (esp day to day), although you are still making progress. That's why I only weight once a week now.

#2 - think of this as a marathon, not a sprint. You should look long term, like in months and years, not days and weeks. Plateaus aren't considered 'plateaus' until 4 weeks of NO change anyway.

#3 - weight yourself once a week. I prefer to do mine on my long run/heavy cardio day. I go to the bathroom and do my run, then afterwards weigh myself before I start re-hydrate and eat. That way I'm weighing 'just me', and not a 12 oz steak and 36 oz of fluid I had the night before. You don't have to do this, but be consistent in how and when you weigh yourself.
  • fitdragon484
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    You need more patience. You're 3 weeks in and already complaining about slowing down? Hell, water retention can bump me up 2-4 lbs from day to day.

#1 - take measurements if you want to track more accurately. Prior days diet, salt intake/water retention, muscle gain...there are many things that can 'stall' the scales (esp day to day), although you are still making progress. That's why I only weight once a week now.

#2 - think of this as a marathon, not a sprint. You should look long term, like in months and years, not days and weeks. Plateaus aren't considered 'plateaus' until 4 weeks of NO change anyway.

#3 - weight yourself once a week. I prefer to do mine on my long run/heavy cardio day. I go to the bathroom and do my run, then afterwards weigh myself before I start re-hydrate and eat. That way I'm weighing 'just me', and not a 12 oz steak and 36 oz of fluid I had the night before. You don't have to do this, but be consistent in how and when you weigh yourself.

Well yes you are right... I am kind of "WANT IT ALL AND WANT IT NOW" person, which is not helping with my dieting. :( thank you for the suggestions
  • fitdragon484
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    There are many factors that could be coming into play here. Is it time for your period? Did you consume a lot of sodium the past few days? Are you weighing your food on a digital scale? You really should not be consuming under 1200 calories per day. That is not healthy. If you are not losing weight it is because you are either eating too much (in spite of thinking you're eating at a deficit... If you are not accurately measuring your food portions... Weighing food measuring liquids... You could easily be eating more calories than you think.) or you are retaining fluids. Especially if it's around time of the month.

Thank you so much.
    I think this will take time. All my life I am on diets, but never longer than a month.
    Today I realized why
    :smiley: Patience is what I am missing probably.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Motivation doesn't last. Discipline does. Make healthy living a habit.
  • groovingroomer
    groovingroomer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am glad I read this. I am at a similar point. Lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks then back up 5 after sticking to my 1200/day and keeping active. I have 15/20lbs more I would like to lose. I'm starting to think I will never be under 150 again. Discouraging. Also in menopause. Good luck and stay motivated!!
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chin up, everyday is a new day and a new start! You can do this!!
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I read this thread before... or is this seriously someone else exercising six times a week and only eating 1000 calories a day?
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I've worked it out. Same girl...same question. Different thread.
  • fitdragon484
    Options
    Lol... Just me
    :smiley: