Cross-Training for Runners

Options
What are some cross-training exercises you do on the days that you don't run? or even on the days you do run?

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I usually use the recumbent bike and do some strength training/stretching.

I'm not a swimmer, but swimming is probably the best cross-training for a runner...no to low impact.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i agree with fzyfrog - I ride my bike too! swimming is also great exercise and is easy on the joints.
  • itsgrantsnitch
    Options
    This sounds silly but I jump a lot in my backyard probably for about 10 minutes a day, I heard it helps tone your thighs which I assume is good for running. I also do 100 squats every day
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    kickboxing & strength training!!
  • Tess12513
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of biking...either outside or indoors. If you have access to a gym that offers spinning classes I would highly recommend it! Very upbeat and fast paced, but a great break for your joints! Best of luck!
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm doing the EA Sports Active 2 "9 week challenge" on my off days from running. I run three times a week, and I do the Active three times a week. I give myself the day after my weekly long run off.

I'm really enjoying it - there are a lot of squat exercises, so it does help to "balance" the leg muscles that don't get worked in a run.
  • uberlaut
    uberlaut Posts: 44
    Options
    I have been known to swim or use the bike or elliptical, but I am looking into rollerskating and/or inline skating as an option.

Or my fiance and I will occasionally go play tennis or soccer on days we have crosstraining in the marathon training schedule.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Lots of biking and swimming right now since I'm training for a triathlon. Yoga and pilates are important too for lengthening and stretching since running tends to "shorten/tighten" your muscles.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking, and strength training. (aka triathlon training)

I would bet strength training could be very beneficial, as most runners are prone to injuries due to some muscle weakness or imbalance. I would make sure hips are strong (adduction and abduction), calves and hamstrings are strong, and core stability muscles are strong. I would also work on ankle mobility and strength, using a Bosu stability ball if you have access to one.

All of this can help prevent IT band, plantar fascists, knee issues, peroneal tendonitis, Achilles teninopathy, etc. No guarantee to stay injury free, but it stacks the odds more in your favor.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Ride outdoors or spin in my den...