Calories from Wine Used In Cooking??

Options
How can I enter the calories from wine used in cooking accurately?

If you drink the wine you'll consume the alcohol and get all the calories but if you cook with the wine then a fair chunk of the alcohol will be driven off and therefore the total calories will be lower.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just include the calories. Better safe than sorry.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Nah, measure and log what you use.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I usually just log the pre-burn off total but worst case maybe assume 50% of the calories from alcohol and that 10% of the alcohol will remain in the food.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My concern is that the portion size will end up unnecessarily small because I'm counting extra calories

This is for batch cooking. I'll have a look see how many it works out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Don't use wine? It's not "unnecessarily" small if the calories are carrying through. If you want to make a guess, go ahead and do so but nobody can ok that for you except you.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My concern is that the portion size will end up unnecessarily small because I'm counting extra calories

This is for batch cooking. I'll have a look see how many it works out.

If you assume 50% of calories go away from alcohol evaporation, the most you'll be off is about 300 calories for an entire bottle of wine. If you're only using a cup of wine or so, then the maximum error will run about 60-70 calories for the entire dish.
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't count the calories in wine at all when I cook, unless I finish a dish with a splash of wine after it has already cooked.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the calories in wine come from the alcohol. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, assuming 11% by volume that's approx 110 calories per glass from alcohol, so 15 cal from other stuff in the wine. (This is a "standard" 5 oz glass of wine, approx 125 calories per glass) How much alcohol remains depends on how long it's cooked. After an hour, about 75% of the alcohol has cooked off, leaving you with about 30 calories per glass of wine added to your dish. Seems pretty insignificant when compared to the added flavor etc. wine imparts. ( I know, I'm kind of a nerd, looking all of this stuff up) I hope that helps relieve any anxiety you may have had about those calories. I know it did me. I was wondering about this as I threw some wine in a spagetti sauce the other day.