Is it unreasonable to want to be a UK Dress Size 6 (US 2) ?

Options
I want to go down to this size. Some people say it's healthy, some say it's healthy skinny, and some say it's too thin. I don't see a problem with wanting to be this size or being this size though...

Replies

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 6 and I'm not unhealthy or scary skinny! What size are you now?
  • cjw8585
    cjw8585 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Along as your doing it for yourself and not because anyone wants you to then there is no harm I don’t think
  • NadNight
    Options
    How tall are you and what kind of frame do you have?

I can never go beyond a certain size because my hips- it's impossible for me to be a size 2.

This too! I remember someone saying they had 37 inch hips but they were super slim so they physically couldn't lose any more inches due to their bone structure
  • NadNight
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

I can never go beyond a certain size because my hips- it's impossible for me to be a size 2.

This too! I remember someone saying they had 37 inch hips but they were super slim so they physically couldn't lose any more inches due to their bone structure

That's exactly it. My hips are 36 inches and they haven't and won't budge - so it's physically impossible

How tall are you? I wouldn't have guessed 36 inch hips from your profile pic (that makes it sound like I'm saying 36 inch hips are big, I'm not, you just look so slim)
  • NadNight
    Options
    Oh yeah, also how tall are you @Deadsoulfreak ? If you're really tall then a size 6 may be a bit small
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I want to go down to this size. Some people say it's healthy, some say it's healthy skinny, and some say it's too thin. I don't see a problem with wanting to be this size or being this size though...

Depends on how tall you are and what your current weight is. I'm barely 5' and I'm anywhere from a 00-2 depending on brand, and it isn't unhealthy at all. It'd actually be more unhealthy if I were a larger size because of how short I am. I don't think it's unreasonable to have this as a goal pending that it's healthy for your frame and your body.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. If it is what you want, make a goal to work towards. And if you realize a US size 6 is good on you, then thats great too! I am 5'3, and 186 lbs size 14. At 148 lbs i am a US size 6 and look like a 4! Every body is different, what works for one person won't work for another..good luck!
  • nottellingit
    nottellingit Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'2 115-120 lbs and am a 2 (occasionally 0 or 4 depending on how things are cut). Definitely depends on height considering I'm not all that skinny!
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Deadsoulfreak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 6 and I'm not unhealthy or scary skinny! What size are you now?

I'm currently a UK Size 8.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Options

I'm 5'3 and have a medium frame.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Options
    Oh yeah, also how tall are you @Deadsoulfreak ? If you're really tall then a size 6 may be a bit small

I'm 5'3
  • jessicamarie0891
    jessicamarie0891 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'll buck the trend here and say don't focus on the size tag. Wear stuff that fits you properly and makes you look and feel amazing. Work on your weight and strength for yourself, not for a tag.

The trend in vanity sizing means my wardrobe has sizes 10-18 and medium to XL (US sizing) that all fit. It sounds nice to say "I'm a size 0" but it doesn't really mean anything. Plus it can get discouraging when you're trying to shop and one brand the smaller size fits so you feel all good about yourself, and the next brand you have to take the largest and you psych yourself out thinking you've gained weight.

So I gave up on that. I try on what I like and if it looks good, I add it to the collection. :) Happy shopping!

Was just about to say this myself! The sizings over here in the UK are awful at the moment, not a lot of consistency and it's always the same shops you hear people have trouble in!

I'd personally say to get to a weight or measurements where you feel comfortable and healthy, don't focus too much on what size clothes you are wearing otherwise you'll be hung up on that all the time and when/if you visit a shop where that size doesn't fit, it'll massively dishearten you!

Keep going, stay healthy and be happy with yourself, not so much the numbers on your labels :)
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy place right now, 5'5/120lb and fit in size 6. That being said, I can't fit my calves into skinny jeans. No matter what size you are, clothing styles that suit your body shape always look the most flattering :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3

And how much do you weigh?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My wife is 5’3, a size 6 at 110lb
    She looks healthy at this weight.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm 5'3

102 lbs so I don't understand how I still can't fit a size 6 :(
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    My wife is 5’3, a size 6 at 110lb
    She looks healthy at this weight.

I'm 102 lbs and still can't fit under a size 8. All these women who fit size 6's at 110 to 115 lbs are sooo lucky lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3

102 lbs so I don't understand how I still can't fit a size :(

Because you're just not built that way.

You're underweight for your height as it is so you should NOT be trying to lose more weight.

Why are you so bothered about being a particular size?
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Options

I'm 5'3

102 lbs so I don't understand how I still can't fit a size :(

Because you're just not built that way.

You're underweight for your height as it is so you should NOT be trying to lose more weight.

Why are you so bothered about being a particular size?

I honestly thought I was built that way tbh. Being a size 6 just means everything to me, it's hard to explain. Maybe my hips need to be 32 inches before I fit a size 6 though, as they're currently 32.5 inches.