I dont get it

Options
Hi guys , so I need your help once again , as Ive found myself in a very annoying situation. Basically , I am a 19 year old girl and my dream job is to be a fitness instructor. In order to do so , I decided that I should focus on recomp and building some muscle. However , everytime I try to eat a high protein diet ( yoghurt , chicken etc. ) , I find myself binging on chocolate and carbs at night.(I just ate a 200g Cadbury bar and 300g of bread and feel disgusted)
Like I have no problem eating 1400 calories if I eat foods like bread , chocolate , crisps and whatever I feel like , but I just cant seem to be satisfied / full when eating the same amount of calories but high protein foods.
Please tell me that I am not alone ! What do you guys suggest I do ?

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Eat some of what you enjoy and fit it in your calorie allotment for the day. Unless there is a medical reason for you to eat a high protein diet, carbs aren't bad.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you tried focusing on getting enough healthy fats and fiber as part of your high protein diet? I personally feel starved if I don’t get enough fiber and find myself binging on cheese and chocolate eventually if I don’t get enough healthy fats.

Good luck!
  • BurningCalories98
    BurningCalories98 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat some of what you enjoy and fit it in your calorie allotment for the day. Unless there is a medical reason for you to eat a high protein diet, carbs aren't bad.

I tried to eat a bar of chocolate today and a small sandwich , but then I ate chicken salad and soup and still found myself binging on bread and chocolate at night :(
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't eat "high protein" and have chocolate every day. Unless you're doing keto, which sounds unsustainable for you. Try a moderate carb diet instead. I think you'll be happier and the only successful diet is the one you can stick to most days.

I suggest you rework your meal plans to include a small chocolate bar every day or every other day, along with sensible choices the rest of the day.

I'm not educated on building muscle, but I'm sure you don't have to cut out all carbs to do that.
  • BurningCalories98
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Have you tried focusing on getting enough healthy fats and fiber as part of your high protein diet? I personally feel starved if I don’t get enough fiber and find myself binging on cheese and chocolate eventually if I don’t get enough healthy fats.

Good luck!

Hmmm I dont think thats the problem... I eat enough of both
    Thanks for your help :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is insufficient to build muscle in a 19 year old female of any height. You need to think about fueling your workouts rather than eating at a deficit if you are serious about building some muscle.
  • BurningCalories98
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    There's no reason you can't eat "high protein" and have chocolate every day. Unless you're doing keto, which sounds unsustainable for you. Try a moderate carb diet instead. I think you'll be happier and the only successful diet is the one you can stick to most days.

I suggest you rework your meal plans to include a small chocolate bar every day or every other day, along with sensible choices the rest of the day.

I'm not educated on building muscle, but I'm sure you don't have to cut out all carbs to do that.

Thank you :) !
  • BurningCalories98
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Firstly, if you're looking to recomp/build muscle, you need to be eating at maintenance, which I highly doubt is 1400 cals.

Secondly, what protein intake are you aiming for? It may be that you have it set too high if it is crowding out other foods. The general rule of thumb is 0.6-0.8g per lb of body weight.

Carbs are obviously your satiety thing, so you need to work out a way to balance getting enough to feel satisfied whilst also hitting your protein goal.

1400 was just an example
    I eat 2000-2300 calories , depending on exercise routine.
  • BurningCalories98
    Options
    I am not educated as a dietician. . I have read that high protein diets can be harmful to your kidneys, and so my first tip is, find information that you find reliable and you trust. There is so much misinformation out there! I can suggest government health sites, but use your own noogin to investigate.

Secondly, my advice is listen to your body. Every body is different and what works for others may not work for you. I know high protein diets make me feel yuck. I also know I have a huge issue with added sugar ♡♡♡! I find that I need fresh vegetables, fruit and wholegrains to reduce my sugar cravings. I don't know why!

Soz couldn't be more helpful. Goodluck with it all :)

This is such good advice! I will try to listen to my body and deprive it of things it wants.
    Thank you :)
  • BurningCalories98
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    1400 calories is insufficient to build muscle in a 19 year old female of any height. You need to think about fueling your workouts rather than eating at a deficit if you are serious about building some muscle.

As I already said 1400 was just a random number to make my point. I eat 2000-2300 calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I am not educated as a dietician. . I have read that high protein diets can be harmful to your kidneys, and so my first tip is, find information that you find reliable and you trust. There is so much misinformation out there! I can suggest government health sites, but use your own noogin to investigate.

Secondly, my advice is listen to your body. Every body is different and what works for others may not work for you. I know high protein diets make me feel yuck. I also know I have a huge issue with added sugar ♡♡♡! I find that I need fresh vegetables, fruit and wholegrains to reduce my sugar cravings. I don't know why!

Soz couldn't be more helpful. Goodluck with it all :)

Nope, not unless you have a pre-existing kidney condition, and not at the levels OP would be eating.

You know all those things contain sugar, right?
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Could be if you add some fat it will help you be more satiated. A little can go a long way.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Firstly, if you're looking to recomp/build muscle, you need to be eating at maintenance, which I highly doubt is 1400 cals.

Secondly, what protein intake are you aiming for? It may be that you have it set too high if it is crowding out other foods. The general rule of thumb is 0.6-0.8g per lb of body weight.

Carbs are obviously your satiety thing, so you need to work out a way to balance getting enough to feel satisfied whilst also hitting your protein goal.

1400 was just an example

Okay, so on 2300 cals you should easily be able to meet your protein requirements and have a decent amount of carbs.
  • BurningCalories98
    Options

As I already said 1400 was just a random number to make my point. I eat 2000-2300 calories.

If you give random information, you are likely to get random answers. You gotta do your part, OP lol

My question had NOTHIG to do with the amount of calories , so it was irrelevant lol.
  • BurningCalories98
    Options

1400 was just an example

Okay, so on 2300 cals you should easily be able to meet your protein requirements and have a decent amount of carbs.

1400 was just an example

Good point, but now I am actually thinking of eating at a deficit for the next 2 weeks or so , as I've been binge eating for the last week so I am sure that I gained some lbs
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

If you give random information, you are likely to get random answers. You gotta do your part, OP lol

My question had NOTHIG to do with the amount of calories , so it was irrelevant lol.

Hunger and binging can indeed be related to eating insufficient calories, so in fact the amount of calories does matter.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited October 2017
    Options

Well, no. Your calorie intake dictates how much room you have left for carbs after hitting your protein goal. On 1400, not so much (but if your TDEE is ~2300, you shouldn't be eating that low anyway), 2300, quite a bit.

Example - yesterday I ate ~1500 cals, 103g carb, 66g fat, 125g protein. I had 30g of chocolate in there, and was above my protein goal (~110g, based on 0.8g per lb), so I could have had another 15g of carbs. On 2000 cals, I could easily have 200g of carbs and still hit protein.

(edited to fix problem with mathing...)