Shoulder pain when squatting

Options
My shoulder is tweaked. Is anyone one else having shoulder pain while squatting? I’ve considered doing front squats. Suggestions/ideas?

Replies

• SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have had shoulder issues for approx 10 years. Can't find fix for it either.
  • 1lone_wolf
    1lone_wolf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe trying front squats, light weight and see if that alleviates the pain.
    I have had shoulder issues for approx 10 years. Can't find fix for it either.

• libraryland
    libraryland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    More questions than answers. Does your shoulder hurt at any other time Or just while doing squats? Can you replicate the motion of your arms when you squat while not squatting, and does it hurt?
    If you've been experiencing pain for more than a week, go to a doctor. Could be nothing more than bursitis or tendinitis, but if you have a torn rotator cuff, you don't want to make it worse.
  • thepragmattic
    thepragmattic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Where does your shoulder hurt when squatting?
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the squat machine and i hold the bar at chest level with my arm crossed holding my shoulders that work for me
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Where does your shoulder hurt when squatting?

My shoulder hurts on the set-up/getting into position. Going down/coming back up doesn’t make my shoulder hurt any more or less.

• 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Jpoirier17 wrote: »
    I use the squat machine and i hold the bar at chest level with my arm crossed holding my shoulders that work for me

Cool. Do you feel you’re getting the same workout on the machine since it’s assisted and not hurt your shoulder?
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    More questions than answers. Does your shoulder hurt at any other time Or just while doing squats? Can you replicate the motion of your arms when you squat while not squatting, and does it hurt?
    If you've been experiencing pain for more than a week, go to a doctor. Could be nothing more than bursitis or tendinitis, but if you have a torn rotator cuff, you don't want to make it worse.

Thanks. I may have to go to the dr. Yes, there is slight pain even when I mimic squats with no weight but actually performing squats tends to hurt more. But as soon as I’m done, the pain is gone. Is the weird torquing of the shoulder to get into the correct squat position that tends to add some discomfort.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try this stretch right before squatting for 60 seconds and see if it helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c

If not, there are plenty of other leg exercises. Stating your overall will help with choosing one. :+1:
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try this stretch right before squatting for 60 seconds and see if it helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c

If not, there are plenty of other leg exercises. Stating your overall will help with choosing one. :+1:

Thanks!!! I just missed seeing this before I did squats but I’ll watch the video and let you know on my next squat day. Thanks so much!
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1lone_wolf wrote: »
    Jpoirier17 wrote: »

Cool. Do you feel you’re getting the same workout on the machine since it’s assisted and not hurt your shoulder?

Yes i can load more weight and do it slowly
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    1lone_wolf wrote: »

Thanks. I may have to go to the dr. Yes, there is slight pain even when I mimic squats with no weight but actually performing squats tends to hurt more. But as soon as I’m done, the pain is gone. Is the weird torquing of the shoulder to get into the correct squat position that tends to add some discomfort.
    Possible mild shoulder impingement. I am currently dealing with one and rehabbing it. It may take another month or so with aggressive rehab.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Jessyperry
    Jessyperry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Instead of the bar, try squatting with a plate weight instead. I've found back and shoulder pain with the bar, but not with the plate weight.
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    Jessyperry wrote: »
    Instead of the bar, try squatting with a plate weight instead. I've found back and shoulder pain with the bar, but not with the plate weight.

Plate weight? As in hold a 45 lb weight (for example) and squat with that?
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I'm a sport rehabilitator and we see this problem all the time. Without having an actual look at your shoulder or your squatting, I can only give you general tips and tell you what's usually the problem. Make sure your form is correct, if you're not sure, get someone who's qualified to check your form and correct any issues. If your form seems perfect, switch to a different squat type (for example, if you're doing back squats try a goblet squat instead) and see if you have the same issues. I also recommend that you have someone qualified look at your overhead squat (NO WEIGHT - use a light empty bar, wooden stick, broom handle etc.) as this squat position is very indicative of any positional/form issues you might have and can show weaknesses and imbalances. If nothing seems to work, stop squatting, or at least stop doing weighted squats, the last thing you want is for a tweaky shoulder to get wrecked completely. I would also recommend seeing a sport rehabilitator (or someone similar in person) just to make sure there is no more sinister issue/the problem gets worse
  • 1lone_wolf
    Options
    I'm a sport rehabilitator and we see this problem all the time. Without having an actual look at your shoulder or your squatting, I can only give you general tips and tell you what's usually the problem. Make sure your form is correct, if you're not sure, get someone who's qualified to check your form and correct any issues. If your form seems perfect, switch to a different squat type (for example, if you're doing back squats try a goblet squat instead) and see if you have the same issues. I also recommend that you have someone qualified look at your overhead squat (NO WEIGHT - use a light empty bar, wooden stick, broom handle etc.) as this squat position is very indicative of any positional/form issues you might have and can show weaknesses and imbalances. If nothing seems to work, stop squatting, or at least stop doing weighted squats, the last thing you want is for a tweaky shoulder to get wrecked completely. I would also recommend seeing a sport rehabilitator (or someone similar in person) just to make sure there is no more sinister issue/the problem gets worse

Thanks! I’ve recorded my squats and had a trainer look at my form. He said it was good. Nothing that sshoukd cause shoulder pain. The pain comes from (when in proper form) you have to really reach back to the secure the bar in a traditional squat. I deadlift and it doesn’t hurt and do goblet squats, even military presses, don’t hurt my shoulder the way squats do. I tried recently to do some static stretches and that actually did help ease a considerable amount of pain. But yes, I agree, I may have to switch to a different exercise simply to avoid pain and possible serious injury.