Macros.... help

Options
im new to macros and have checked lots of different sites with a variety of different answers, which have left me confused.

i am 30 F
5ft 1 and 202lbs
I have a desk job so am seated for most of the day and tend to go fitness class (body attack, metafit, spin) about 2-3 times a week and have now just started 2-3 session in the gym doing weights.

My main goal is to lose inches.... Im not ging to obsess and focus on the number on the scales but rather how i look and feel. Ideally I would like to lose 2 dress sizes over the next year

Can someone help me with what to set my marcos at and what my calories should roughly be? Ive heard a mix of different things about the percentage split between carbs Fat and Protein.

I've always been a calorie counter and have yo-yo'd over the years so this is all new to me so any help would be appretiated :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP macros are fine.

40/30/30 is often suggested

or you can go with 0.6 - 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight, 0.3 - 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight and the rest carbs.

or start with one and tweak as you go along.

i find i need a good amount of fat and protein to keep me going so i aim for over 100g of protein per day. if my day is too carb heavy i know about it as i'm just hungry all day. my macros work out as 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You just have to have a good calorie goal and stick to it. Setting and tracking macros can help you stick to your calorie goal, or it can derail you from it - you have to figure out what's working best for you. MFP's suggestions for both calories and macros are fine unless you have any specific preferences, which you don't by the sound of it.

As you lose weight, you will lose inches and dress sizes, and you will look and feel better if you lose weight healthily. MFP's suggestions are both sensible and effective.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Counting macros is just another way to count calories. Instead of counting each calorie individually, you count the nutrient amounts, which are made up of calories. 1 gram protein has 4 calories, 1 gram carbohydrate has 4 cals and 1 gram fat has 9 cals. You still need to use MFP to get your calorie allowance. Their macros work for most so I would use their set up.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to them entirely about 10 months ago. I was formerly uber meticulous about my ratios based upon much of the information I had read here, but what I have since discovered is they have almost zero bearing on my weight loss that I can discern. Even more interestingly, they also have no apparent effect on my key clinical markers according to my doctor either. If I thought they did I might care, but that does not appear to be the case, at least in my own specific circumstance.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I stopped paying attention to them entirely about 10 months ago. I was formerly uber meticulous about my ratios based upon much of the information I had read here, but what I have since discovered is they have almost zero bearing on my weight loss that I can discern. Even more interestingly, they also have no apparent effect on my key clinical markers according to my doctor either. If I thought they did I might care, but that does not appear to be the case, at least in my own specific circumstance.

I agree with this. Unless you are competing, being 100% exact with your macros will not really make a difference to the average lifter. That being said, to get to that point you need to be comfortable in understanding portions and the caloric density of food. If you don't have a good grasp on that you can easily overeat. For now, pay close attention to your macros, get a $10 food scale and eventually you will get to the point where you can eyeball it. Goodluck!