Running accessories

Options
Completed a couch to 5k program and want to continue running. I use My phone to track My distance and pace through My Samsung health app. My phone is an awkward running partner, plus I need to carry water because I get thirsty a lot. Sometimes I run with the dog too.

What products do you use to make your runs easier? I am thinking of getting a Samsung watch to replace my phone, maybe an arm band for music?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have a garmin 225 and this running belt for long runs when i need water.

https://fitletic.com/product/hd008-16oz-hydration-belt/

i always buy running leggings/shorts with a zip pocket for phone/keys/gels.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some kind of wearable, it’s a lot less faff than a phone and will also give you more insight into your runs.
    I use a Garmin FR220 but the Vivoactive 3 is on my Christmas list (other devices are available and I’d recommend a lot of research first).
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    For mid distances (up to 10 miles)
    4-pocket cycling shirt (one of the pockets with zipper for key and phone). The pockets take a small water bottle and some gel.

For longer distances:
    Camelbak with 2 liter water-tank.

Always on my arm when running: A decent sports watch (currently TomTom Spark Cardio).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've used running belts in the past to carry water, keys, phone, etc, and had always resisted the idea of wearing a running vest. This year, I decided to try wearing a vest to carry more fluids, fuel and gear while training for a first marathon. I bought the Ultimate Direction TO 3.0 race vest and love it. Its very light, comes with two 14oz soft water bottles and has room for all your stuff - gels, meds, phone, TP, keys, etcetera. A bit pricey, but it has been worth every penny to me.

I also wear a garmin 920 watch for speed, distance, HR, etc.

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I wear a Flipbelt. https://flipbelt.com/ Lies flat around your waist, you can fit your phone, house key, some tissues. Not bulky.

My daughter and I both wear fitbelts when we run. It fits snug enough that my phone, water, and keys dont move around when I run. I also wear my Garmin watch. If you listen to music a decent pair of wireless headphones are nice.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I don't take/carry anything unless I absolutely have to. And in many cases, if I have to, I just won't run. I hate extra stuff. I don't carry a phone, a car key, nothing. I have a garmin watch to record my workouts, but that's the only "accessory".

Personally, I'd get a smartwatch/wearable/whatever you prefer, then think about ways to cut back on what you have to carry. Not everyone can/will, but it's easy to get carried away with all the crap running shops make you think you need.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Depending on the length of your runs, you might want to try running without carrying water. It makes things much easier from a logistics perspective (water isn't exactly light or compact) and chances are that you might actually be hurting your running performance by drinking too much water along the way. Many runners (myself included) don't bother with water mid-run unless we'll be going for an hour or more.

It's not critical but is something to consider. If you ever start running for race times/performance, then you'll definitely want to revisit your hydration needs.

Key running accessories for me are a true run tracking watch (the ability to review stats around cadence, pace, HR, etc. help tremendously), an armband for my phone (I actually don't mind carrying it in my hand most of the time but the band is a lifesaver for longer runs), wireless headphones, and a good stockpile of shorter and longer podcasts. I generally run with a bare minimum.

Another option for water...if you do an out and back or repeat laps of a track or route, just leave your water bottle somewhere along the way. Nobody will mess with it and you can grab a drink as you pass by.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Depending on the length of your runs, you might want to try running without carrying water. It makes things much easier from a logistics perspective (water isn't exactly light or compact) and chances are that you might actually be hurting your running performance by drinking too much water along the way. Many runners (myself included) don't bother with water mid-run unless we'll be going for an hour or more.

It's not critical but is something to consider. If you ever start running for race times/performance, then you'll definitely want to revisit your hydration needs.

Key running accessories for me are a true run tracking watch (the ability to review stats around cadence, pace, HR, etc. help tremendously), an armband for my phone (I actually don't mind carrying it in my hand most of the time but the band is a lifesaver for longer runs), wireless headphones, and a good stockpile of shorter and longer podcasts. I generally run with a bare minimum.

Another option for water...if you do and out and back or repeat laps of a track or route, just leave your water bottle somewhere along the way. Nobody will mess with it and you can grab a drink as you pass by.

i hate carrying anything, i only bought the belt because i felt like water would probably help on my long runs!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music...I don't use the Music feature, but it allows you to download music onto the watch and connect to blue tooth headphones. I put my key in my sports bra and carry my phone in my right hand. I drink plenty of water throughout the day, so I don't carry water on my runs. If you need to carry things, make the dog useful...he/she can wear a hiking pack and carry your phone, keys, water, etc...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Another runner here who uses the Flipbelt. It comfortably holds my keys, phone, Gu packs, ID, and even a small water bottle (they're made specifically for the Flipbelt). They're amazing and they hold up really well. I've been using mine and washing it regularly for over a year (I line dry it) and it is still like new.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I also have a Flipbelt. I put my keys and phone in it, and it holds water and gels on long runs. If you listen to music on your runs, I recommend Bluetooth headphones as well.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    One note. Make sure you read reviews of the watch and/or demo a model outdoors if you want to use it as your music device. I tried using my Apple watch for music instead of my phone and it was pretty much unusable once I stepped outside. It constantly dropped connection with my BT headphones because of the distance from the headphone antennae and the fact BT signals do not transmit that well through human bodies and sweat.

It wasn't a big deal inside because the headphones could pick up the signal as it bounced off walls, etc. but the watch didn't work as a BT broadcasting device all that well outside. No such issues with my phone.
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I don't take/carry anything unless I absolutely have to. And in many cases, if I have to, I just won't run. I hate extra stuff. I don't carry a phone, a car key, nothing. I have a garmin watch to record my workouts, but that's the only "accessory".

Personally, I'd get a smartwatch/wearable/whatever you prefer, then think about ways to cut back on what you have to carry. Not everyone can/will, but it's easy to get carried away with all the crap running shops make you think you need.

Yes I totally agree, especially after dealing with the annoyance of juggling multiple things.
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Another option for water...if you do and out and back or repeat laps of a track or route, just leave your water bottle somewhere along the way. Nobody will mess with it and you can grab a drink as you pass by.

i hate carrying anything, i only bought the belt because i felt like water would probably help on my long runs!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm experiencing a hydration issue because i get seriously parched by a half mile! Thanks for the feedback. I often run laps around my neighborhood, I could totally leave a water bottle somewhere :-)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by parched? If your mouth is just dry, try a piece of gum or something similar.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Linz91741 wrote: »

Sometimes I wonder if I'm experiencing a hydration issue because i get seriously parched by a half mile! Thanks for the feedback. I often run laps around my neighborhood, I could totally leave a water bottle somewhere :-)

How much do you drink in a normal day. It's doubtful that running half a mile is actually dehydrating you.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Linz91741 wrote: »

How much do you drink in a normal day. It's doubtful that running half a mile is actually dehydrating you.

This. It's either all in your head (your mouth gets dry from breathing hard and your brain equates it with thirst), or you're not adequately hydrating throughout the day.

Next time you run, try not to take a drink of water unless you absolutely have to have it. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day before you go out if you run in the afternoon/evening. If you run fasted in the morning, drink at least a couple of cups before going out.

I'm guessing you'll find that you don't actually need the water during your run and that running is so much better with less to carry.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    My Fenix watch. Love that the same thing that acts as a motivated running partner also tells me my skiing speed, power output on the bike, and how many reps I've done. Also nice to see my pace without using my hands.