Rings off for barbell work?

Options
13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find rings don't act as a deterrent- and some people don't care at all if your married- I am- almost everyone at my gym knows I am- because it's recent.

The nasty ones don't stop at a ring. or a marriage certificate. Ultimately those things mean nothing unless you actually say no.

It pretty much keeps honest people away- like locks on bikes- keeps honest thieves out.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I'm going in for a session with a trainer today so I can learn to use the barbell/squat cage to start SL 5x5.
    I've read that it's not good to wear rings (wedding ring/engagement ring) while you lift - is that for someone starting out or is that only a thing if you're lifting heavy?

I take mine off whenever I'm doing any lifting...whether with the barbell or dumbells, and did even when I started with light weight. I have 3 rings and they tend to pinch, making calluses worse at that finger. Also, I don't want to scratch them or lose a diamond from my anniversary band. I also take my rings off when I run because my fingers swell.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I always wear my rings, but when I'm lifting I'm always wearing gloves, so it's still comfortable. I don't think it would be comfortable without gloves.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the weirdo here...But I never take my ring off unless I absolutely have too. I wear it to the gym, when lifting, camping and even when I played roller derby it was always on my finger. And it is a diamond band with a 3 stone engagement ring too. Not out of some I'm not married unless I have it on thing, I just love my ring and like wearing it ALWAYS. That being said I do have a callus on my palm by that finger and sometimes it pinches while lifting heavy. But if it makes you happy then do it, I haven't have any real issues keeping it on.....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I saw a Shark Tank episode last night with ENSO, a maker of silicone quick-release rings. They said there are 150,000 ring avulsion injuries each year (rings injuring your finger or worse). A good reason not to wear rings in the gym or buy a fake one if you just can't go without for an hour.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I used to but found the heavier the weights the more it pinched my finger. I have silicone rings now.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I almost always take my rings off unless I happen to forget and I'll wear them for something simple like squats off the rack. Cleans and deadlifts and such they really get in the way.

But I've lost weight in my hands so my rings are loose and annoying so I rarely forget to take them off.

I think it's more of a personal decision.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Yeah- it's just another thing to spend your money on IMHO.

I never have understood them.

I got like 6 of the silicone rings for $10 on Amazon. Different colors. I just like having a ring. It's just a preference. I don't think it changes my level of commitment, or is some kind of magical signal for people to leave me alone, or whatever. I wear them to travel, or just a lot during the summer when my fingers get swollen and my gold ring becomes uncomfortable, or if the spinning of my real rings starts to annoy me.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the weirdo here...But I never take my ring off unless I absolutely have too. I wear it to the gym, when lifting, camping and even when I played roller derby it was always on my finger. And it is a diamond band with a 3 stone engagement ring too. Not out of some I'm not married unless I have it on thing, I just love my ring and like wearing it ALWAYS. That being said I do have a callus on my palm by that finger and sometimes it pinches while lifting heavy. But if it makes you happy then do it, I haven't have any real issues keeping it on.....

Well said! I love my wedding ring too, and wearing a ring in general, but I would never wear my wedding ring to the gym as lifting would scratch the crapola out of it. So I bought a black tungsten ring which I wear to the gym instead.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My ring is tattooed on so all problems solved. I never lose it, it doesn't create a new callous, I don't swell into it once a month, no one ever questions my marital status...it's the perfect wedding ring. :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My ring is tattooed on so all problems solved. I never lose it, it doesn't create a new callous, I don't swell into it once a month, no one ever questions my marital status...it's the perfect wedding ring. :)

We wanted to get tattoos but the only place close to us refused to do it. I wanted to get lyrics from our song on my arm and they were really weird about that too. -.-
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

We wanted to get tattoos but the only place close to us refused to do it. I wanted to get lyrics from our song on my arm and they were really weird about that too. -.-

Most places wouldn't refuse, you should check into others.

But they most likely refused because people get tattoos all the time with or for their significant other and then they seperate. And I'm sure tattoo artists get lots of cover up jobs because of that.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I was a little heavier when I got married so my ring tends to slip off when I wash my hands - I rarely wear it anymore, and never would in the gym. A kid in high school got his class ring snagged in a basketball net and it basically skinned his finger, so I never wear jewelry while doing any type of exercise or sports.

I've had people that were alarmed that I don't wear a wedding ring anymore, as if it was a magical piece of jewelry that renders a relationship legitimate. Yeah, long-term relationships that hinge upon wearing a piece of metal on your finger sound amazing and not at all needy or insecure, lol.

^^^ this. I forgot to take my class ring off once when playing softball and managed to pinch the skin on the underside of my finger to the tune of needing stitches to close the cut it left. I also used to work with a guy that lost his ring finger by catching it on a protruding screw on a post-hole auger.

My wedding ring comes off as I enter the gym and goes back on as I leave. Same thing for working on the car, yard work or anything that might lead to medical interventions.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my original ring except on special occasions. I have a $100 walmart ring that I wear daily (my original ring is too huge, circa 1950's). I don't wear any rings at all to the gym. Hubs doesn't even have a ring, we'll be married 9 years in December.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I take my ring off so it doesn't smush to my finger. Nothing worse then bent rings on the fingers....
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to tie my rings into my shoelace as I never remember to leave them at home (or forget to put them back on if I do). But recently I got a new water bottle with a built in clip that works way better for me. Wearing my rings while lifting just hurts. Plus I don't want to damage them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just don't lose track of your water bottle. :#
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think the shoe lace sounds safer