Hashimoto's

Options
Does anyone here have Hashimoto's and follows an autoimmune diet? I was diagnosed with it in 2011 and am on Unithroid. My levels always come back normal, but my symptoms are usually present. I have been reading a lot about eating for Hashimoto's and want to try it. I would definitely love to talk to others who follow this or a similar diet or are interested in trying it as well.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TBH, I have not found diet to help a lot with managing my hashi's beyond going gluten free which really help... but I am a celiac.

The best thing I did for my hashi's was take T3 with T4 in the form of natural desiccated thyroid. My labs (TSH) were about normal with just T4 (synthroid) but I felt the same. No wonder, my free T4 and free T3 were not in the 50-75% range of the normal lab range. Once I went on NDT, my FT4 and FT3 came up and I felt quite good. It was a noticeable difference.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with hashi's but I did try the autoimmune diet. It's not easy. Start it during a time when you won't be going out to eat for a while. it is most difficult to stick to at a restaurant. It's also difficult at parties. I started it last month with the intention of trying it for a month before the holidays. however I cut it short because I didn't feel any better. but since I had already eliminated so many foods, I took advantage of this and have been introducing foods one at a time. I did find that nightshades caused me inflammation. Otherwise I haven't had a strong reaction. I haven't introduced dairy or grains back yet though.

My digestion and mood have improved. (I have IBS and depression) I don't know whether this is because I am avoiding something in particular, whether my overall carb count is lower (it's about 40% of my calories now), or whether I am getting more micronutrients than before (replacing grains with root veggies has improved my micronutrient score significantly). I approached the whole thing as a big (temporary) experiment on myself. I don't think the foods I eliminated are necessarily unhealthy and I still feed them to the rest of my family, and intend to reintroduce them all in the end. But I find the experiment kind of fun and at the very least interesting. Thinking of it as temporary takes some of the pressure off, of both me, and family and friends.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have Hashi's- and natural dissected hormones also work much better for me-(Nature Thyroid)- Synthroid was awful- did not relieve any symptoms. I eat a whole food diet and currently feel pretty good with the exception of days here and there where I just feel very tired and worn out. Weight wise, I'm losing about a pound a week. I also take black seed oil which is great for inflammation and all kinds f other things- Tastes incredibly disgusting in oil form so I take capsules from "Amazing Herbs"
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have Hashis and I tried to go GF for health (no allergy present). I didn't stick to it.

I just take my medication and eat normally. It is worth trying to switch up your diet, but unless your doctor thinks it's a necessity than it isn't.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about an iodide supplement? Yes, not iodine, iodide, there is a difference. I had similar problems when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid, I was taking meds but still feeling exhausted and such. My doctor suggested trying an iodide supplement and it actually helped pretty well. Definitely check with your doc before starting one but it might be a conversation worth having.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i haven't seen any scientific studies that prove the effectiveness of going gluten free/autoimmune protocal for hashi's - there is anecdotal evidence that people "feel better"

My levels always come back normal, but my symptoms are usually present.[/]
    something to consider and talk to your doctor - there is a range of what normal is and while you are in the right range, you might not be at your optimal range - i.e. TSH is .2-2.0 (although some docs still using the old .5-4.0) - I feel much more normal at the .6-.8 range than the 3.5 although 3.5 is within range - so talk to your doc about that and see if they would do a meds adjustment

some people also respond better to name brand vs generic (assuming unithyroid is a generic) - you could ask to try synthroid which is the name brand and see if that changes anything
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i haven't seen any scientific studies that prove the effectiveness of going gluten free/autoimmune protocal for hashi's - there is anecdotal evidence that people "feel better"

This article has links to a few studies that supposedly do show a gluten free connection to thyroid issues, but I haven't really looked at them to see how accurate they are - https://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection/

i've seen more anecdotal and research based gluten free connections to thyroid issues. I sometimes suspect that one reason may be that there may be a lot of undiagnosed celiacs and gluten intolerants with hashi's and hypothyroid issues. I know having either diabetes, celiac disease, or thyroid related auto-immune disorders seems to put one in a higher category of having one of the other two. And I saw a study a few years back that one of these can mask the symptoms of the others, although that seemed more a case of 'some of the symptoms are the same, like fatigue or gut issues, and doctors don't consider there could be more than one disease.'

And gluten intolerance has only just been proven, really, but did show an immune response, so potentially could impact auto-immune diseases, I imagine.

• mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with Hashimotos but I have all the symptoms; My thyroid levels come back normal one month, then they come back abnormal the next. I just have ALOT of things going on in my body i dont know what to do, I was told i have Barretts esophagus, gastritis, gastroparesis, now I have gallstones that need to be removed and the doc is going to put a ring around my esophagus to prevent acid from coming up. My colon is just a mess, but my diet is the worst, I dont eat very much, but when i do its yogurt or snacks, I have to say I rarely if ever sit down and have a meal. I just want to get healthy and i read that Paleo Autoimmune is really good!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I do not have Hashimoto’s but due to some other health issues I am starting down the path of eating an anti-inflammatory diet. I have a book right now that I got from the library called The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook by Mickey Trescott and Angie Alt. It has good recipes and information in it, so if you’re going to try this route, it’s a good resource.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »

This article has links to a few studies that supposedly do show a gluten free connection to thyroid issues, but I haven't really looked at them to see how accurate they are - https://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection/

i've seen more anecdotal and research based gluten free connections to thyroid issues. I sometimes suspect that one reason may be that there may be a lot of undiagnosed celiacs and gluten intolerants with hashi's and hypothyroid issues. I know having either diabetes, celiac disease, or thyroid related auto-immune disorders seems to put one in a higher category of having one of the other two. And I saw a study a few years back that one of these can mask the symptoms of the others, although that seemed more a case of 'some of the symptoms are the same, like fatigue or gut issues, and doctors don't consider there could be more than one disease.'

And gluten intolerance has only just been proven, really, but did show an immune response, so potentially could impact auto-immune diseases, I imagine.

ehhh I clicked on the first five references he linked...they weren't specifically about thyroid disease and gluten free - but that there is indications that many people with thyroid issues also have celiac disease - not entirely the same thing...

i'm talking specifically about non-celiac disease, indviduals diagnosed with thyroid and a study to examine the impact of eating gluen/vs non-gluten (even better would be double blind if the participants were provided with food that was either gluten or gluten free)

also when I read this in his bio...
    and his work is frequently cited in national publications such as Time, The Atlantic, and NPR, and on Dr. Oz and Fox & Friends, where he has appeared as a guest.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    impyimpyaj wrote: »
    I do not have Hashimoto’s but due to some other health issues I am starting down the path of eating an anti-inflammatory diet. I have a book right now that I got from the library called The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook by Mickey Trescott and Angie Alt. It has good recipes and information in it, so if you’re going to try this route, it’s a good resource.

Second this, great recommendation!
    I've followed the Autoimmune Paleo diet for about 4 years now. PaleoMom's blog and book (her name is Sarah Ballantyne) are excellent as well. Most of her book is available for free on her blog.

When it comes time for reintroductions, Eileen Laird at PhoenixHelix has a great booklet to guide you. She also has great recipes and a weekly recipe round-up.
  • shaumom
    Options
    i'm talking specifically about non-celiac disease, indviduals diagnosed with thyroid and a study to examine the impact of eating gluen/vs non-gluten (even better would be double blind if the participants were provided with food that was either gluten or gluten free)

To my knowledge, no such study exists, to date. At least none that I have found, and I have been looking for a while. There are both celiacs and non-celiac gluten intolerants in my family, as well as people with hashi's and/or hypothyroidism on both side of the family too, so I'm very interested in any new research, you know?

The closest I have found currently- which is not that close, honestly, but might lead to relevant research - was a small study that seems to have disappeared off the internet already. I can't find references to it at all (and I didn't jot down the name, argh). It was a study on rheumatoid arthritis and MS that found that wheat (not gluten, but wheat) seemed to have a slight inflammatory effect on folks with RA or MS, which lead to an increase in severity symptoms. Not a huge increase, but noticeable.

I remember it mostly because the author said that they ONLY looked at RA and MS, so far, but that he speculated that they might find similar increases in symptom severity with other auto-immune diseases.

Before that, this is a pretty good review of the little bit of relevant research on inflammation, grains, and auto-immune issues, at least: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705319/

It's about 4 years old, showed a few studies that found good or bad things from grain ingestion, and in the conclusions said, "In the present review, we describe how the daily consumption of wheat products and other related cereal grains could contribute to the manifestation of chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases. Both in vitro and in vivo studies demonstrate that gliadin and WGA can both increase intestinal permeability and activate the immune system. The effects of gliadin on intestinal permeability and the immune system have also been confirmed in humans. Other cereal grains containing related prolamins and lectins have not been so extensively studied and, therefore, more research investigating their impact on intestinal permeability and inflammation is required. It would be interesting to further elucidate the role of other prolamins on zonulin release and intestinal permeability."

and re: my one reference before. Yeah, that sounds pretty sketchy; good to ignore, then.

Hmmm, there is another study that could be interesting, even though it's not nearly as hard science as one would like, that was just on a low fat vs. a low carb diet. Year long study, patients self reported diet, and then were tested for various components. Now, I would assume low carb is going to be lower gluten, while not gluten free, you know?

One of the interesting results of the study, as I recall, was that the low carb folks had lower markers of inflammation. But that sort of things is really just one of those 'huh, interesting to look into' bits of information, not proof of anything, you know?

But when faced with a condition where there simply ISN'T that much research on, and only hints that more research might find something of use, I always personally think then it's up to us to decide if we think it's worth a personal investigation, yeah?

I have a different disorder, but it has very little research on it yet, and most patients share what they are doing with each other, and the background leading to those choices, and I have found some of it to be worthwhile, and some of it to be pure woo-woo. But the worthwhile stuff has honestly helped me, so i tend to personally feel like trying out some things, if they won't HURT, can be worth the extra effort, potentially. :-)
  • shaumom
    edited October 2017
    Options

Honestly, I have not found any research on that particular topic, to date. Research into food ingestion and ANY disease is pretty sparse (aside from those that are directly food related, like diabetes), honestly, and what research there is, often has a lot of flaws.

The closest I find, typically, are studies that look at inflammation and food. There was a small study (I cannot find the stupid thing, now that I look) that found that wheat had an inflammatory effect on people with rheumatoid arthritis and MS, I believe it was, and that symptoms seemed worse as a result. The researcher speculated that this might apply to other autoimmune conditions as well, but they just hadn't been studied yet.

And small, less controlled studies have found that low carb (which I assume means at least LESS gluten) diets cause the body to have lower inflammatory markers (like this one: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/4/774.full)

But I've got nothing on gluten and thyroid issues specifically. Really wish someone WOULD study that soon, honestly.
    when I read this in his bio...
    and his work is frequently cited in national publications such as Time, The Atlantic, and NPR, and on Dr. Oz and Fox & Friends, where he has appeared as a guest.
    Oh man - that is a weird combination of good and sketchy.

I think right now, unfortunately, you're in that blurry area where patients, and some doctors are noticing 'something' that might be related to gluten and thyroid problems. Some correlation, some causation, just something. But without more research, we don't know WHAT that something is, or why it might be happening, if it even exists. So if you actually HAVE that issue, you've got to decide if you want to explore it on your own, with what information you can find, or just wait a couple decades until medical science has had a chance to research this more for you. :-(

I was in this position for celiac disease, where I went gluten free and was still very sick. I found a few other celiacs who had speculated that, perhaps, they reacted to the residual gluten contamination still present in gluten free food. The medical community at the time said absolutely not, no way, this doesn't happen.

Except doctors also had no explanation for why some celiacs didn't get better on a GF diet, so finally, after years with no answers and more and more patients starting to have problems, researchers did a study with unwell celiacs going on a 'super' gluten free diet, avoiding most GF products. And the majority Did get better, so now it is acknowledged by experts that some celiacs do seem to react to lower levels of gluten than others.

I feel very lucky that I decided to try the 'super gluten free' diet, like some of the others who were feeling so bad, because I felt tremendously better on it and improved probably a decade before I would have, otherwise. But one reason I felt able to do it was because it wasn't something that was going to harm me, either.

So, obviously, I have a little bit of a bias in terms of my thoughts on 'trying' different potential dietary alterations that may, or may not, be of use. I figure if one pays attention to nutrient levels, I usually don't think it's a bad thing, and could potentially be a good thing, you know?