Running when still fat?

Options
So far, I’ve been doing walking on a steep incline, doing eliptical, or stair climber for cardio. I’ve lost 65lbs but have about 140 to go. I’d like to be a runner.
I’ve tried running but can’t make it more than a few steps without pain. Pain in my knees, and pain from everything bouncing and skin stretching. I know I have arthritis in my knees and can work through that. I’m wondering about the bouncing pain. Should I keep going and gut it out, or am I damaging myself in some way? Should I wait until I’m slimmer before starting running?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Honestly from what I've read you get the same benefits from brisk walking as you do running.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I also swim
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Personally, I would wear lycra or spandex underneath your clothing to hold the bouncing and stretching. As for the pain in your knees, in not sure if running would be recommended yet. What does the Dr say about your knees? If it's simply a weight issue, I'd probably 'keep going and gut it out'
  • aggiepringle6665
    Options
    HermanLily wrote: »
    Personally, I would wear lycra or spandex underneath your clothing to hold the bouncing and stretching. As for the pain in your knees, in not sure if running would be recommended yet. What does the Dr say about your knees? If it's simply a weight issue, I'd probably 'keep going and gut it out'

The damage is done in my knees. I can’t really make them any worse. The pain will get better the lighter I get. Either way, I’m looking at a double knee replacement somewhere down the road.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes? I had foot and knee pain when running, then I got fitted and it's done wonders for me.
  • aggiepringle6665
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes? I had foot and knee pain when running, then I got fitted and it's done wonders for me.

Yes. It’s helped a lot to have proper shoes. Still hurts like hell though
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    May I suggest cycling as a higher intensity activity you can do while waiting to lose weight? I do high intensity intervals on my stationary bike and it really gave me a conditioning advantage over my husband when we started c25k together. We were both used to long brisk walks, but running is a whole different business as far as cardiovascular endurance.

If you're hurting, I urge you to try to be patient! Not worth risking lifelong damage, when maybe a couple of years from now you will be able to run without pain.

Also, look into compression garments for the bouncing. When I started doing Zumba I wore a girdle under my workout clothes since athletic compression garments were not supportive enough. Now my skin has shrunk some and regular compression is fine. But you definitely want to support that loose stuff and give it a chance to bounce back.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have Arthritis in my hips and knees and was advised by Doc and Physio that running would be make it worse and to find low impact exercise. Suited me I hate running anyway. I would speak to your doctor or a physiotherapist regarding your Arthritis and running first.

Having said that losing the weight could make anything possible :)

I really hope you can do this, if not now then in the future. You have already done and amazing job.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, that is awesome!!
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The pain is from the impact. Might I suggest racewalking? Speed without the impact. Word around here is that our racewalkers can outpace many of our runners! Also, try softer surfaces like lawn or dirt paths.

http://www.racewalk.com/

I like this idea. When out on my long trail runs I'll often speed hike portions of the run, particularly the uphills. It's the same as race walking but on a trail.

• nicolega2001
    nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am about 100 pounds overweight and cannot run. I tried to for awhile and it was very painful. The doc finally had to tell me to stop and do something else. It was disappointing but I find other things to do instead.
  • bob_hatcher
    bob_hatcher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walk on a treadmill. It's a much more forgiving surface than pavement. Don't run yet! Use the incline to increase your heart rate. When and if you get down to about your goal weight plus 10% then introduce some running on the treadmill. For example, if you are doing a 30-minute workout then every five minutes run for 30-seconds and then walk again. If that's comfortable then increase the running up to a minute and reduce the walking interval. So, maybe 3-months after you've introduced the running you might be doing a workout like this: 5 minute warm-up at a slow pace, say 2-3 mph, then five minutes at 4 mph, then, then 60-seconds of running every three minutes or so.

The key is how your knees feel. If they hurt, STOP.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would run at the moment.
    Keep up with the walking and swimming.

If you go to the pool frequently, see if they offer aqua fit. It will really compliment your other activities (but is low impact), as well as improving balance, flexibility, and mobility.

If you go to the gym, give the rowing machine a go, a good all around workout with no impact.

Cheers, h.