Jobs that pay for gym memberships

Options
I was recently thing of preventive maintances and how certain medical insurance are now not covering smokers in terms of cancer and ect. They are even increasing their premiums. Checkup and mammograms are covered under preventive maintain. I'm thinling maybe even gym memberships should be covered as well. Just recently applied for a job and was told my gym membership with Planet fitness would be free. What's your thoughts?

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    heavens I want a job that'll pay for that.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some insurance is covering gym memberships. Mine doesn't. We just had our open enrollment briefing today. Premiums are staying the same this year. But deductibles and out of pocket max are going up. Always something. TINSTAAFL. We also have a little annual health thing our work does and then the company matches some of our HSA$$$. This year they have a new program which is health incentives qtrly to get more company match. I certainly would not mind that but am waiting to see what exactly the programs are. Hopefully not too annoying. Maybe one would be a gym membership.. (not likely)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My job pays half my membership dues as a benefit. I go at lunch.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My employer (ad agency) pays for my gym membership.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My firm (pharma development) gives an annual grant for fitness related activities and will reimburse gym expenses, shoes, gear, etc. We also have a wellness program as an additional incentive which can potentially lower insurance in addition to other tangible perks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My company will pay for a portion of a gym membership. I doubt I'd take advantage even if it was free though. I live too far from any gym to make it worth the trip even if it was free.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We get a corporate discount at several gyms, though my gym does not participate.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My employer reimburses up to $250 annually for memberships, personal exercise equipment, bikes, etc.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I pay $25 to my insurance company and they have a membership program with gyms nationwide. I can belong to multiple gyms in my area for the 1 price.

Previous employers I have been with either paid for all or half my membership.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My company will reimburse a portion of gym expenses with documentation showing a certain number of visits. They also put small gyms in each of our buildings with basic cardio and weightlifting equipment which can be used for an annual fee of $20 (also reimbursed if you go a certain number of times).
  • mkeonem
    mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My company just added health insurance (very small company that's grown exponentially in the last year) and one of the benefits is sponsoring activities for employees. Our boss is going to sponsor races and such to encourage health and fitness. Our first one is a 5k on Oct 28th.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Mine pays for 50% of a gym membership, up to $50 per year... so not 50% of membership unless I could find a gym that is only $100 per year.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine pays for 50% of a gym membership, up to $50 per year... so not 50% of membership unless I could find a gym that is only $100 per year.

That's funny.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My company doesn't pay for gym memberships, but the health insurance we have will pick up gym memberships, but only certain gyms and there's a ceiling (can't remember the amount)...which are all big corporate places so it's a no go for me...I don't mind picking up my own tab for the gym I want to go to though...

My work does provide for "exercise contracts" whereby anyone can sign the contract and they get 30 minutes of time 4x per week to go do some exercise. A lot of people tack that onto their lunch breaks so they get 30+ their 60 minute lunch break. Most will go exercise for 60 minutes and then take 30 for cleanup and lunch.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

That's funny.

Yes, I know... the cap should be higher, but I can't complain much because some employers pay nothing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    BCBS did a $250 'wellness card' ~3 years ago (expires in December) - valid at selected vendors (including most gyms, and some health food/vitamin/exercise equipment vendors). Used it mainly on protein powder, some equipment like fractional plates, etc for the gym, and 1 or 2 race entry fees.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I worked for a construction company that paid for 100% physio. That was wonderful.

My Son-in-Law worked for a food refrigeration warehouse and it paid for gym membership. It was heavy, physical work so it made total sense.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Medicare Advantage pays for mine.