Scientist wants sports bras to be compulsory in schools

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I just got this in a press release and thought I'd poll MFP's opinion on the matter. Good call, I say, but could still be be embarrassing for girls who are flat chested and really don't need ANY bra (like I was at school until very late on - two-backs Berry!) or those who need big sizes.
====

SCIENTIST URGES COMPULSORY SPORTS BRAS IN SCHOOLS

A campaign has been launched to educate schoolgirls on breast health and make sports bras a compulsory part of PE kit in all UK schools in the same way that mouthguards are for hockey and rugby.

Young girls of school age often wear everyday bras when exercising which can lead to breast pain, embarrassment, and potential long term sag.

Scientists at the University of Portsmouth want to educate young women about the importance of breast support and bra selection for everyday use and sport in a new campaign featured this week on Channel 4’s popular “Sex Education Show” (August 2nd).

Lead by Dr Joanna Scurr, a world expert in breast movement, the research group is working with Sweatshop, the UK’s largest independent running retailer.

Dr Scurr said: “Many young women don’t understand the implications of making the wrong choice when it comes to breast support. Our research demonstrates that the correct bra reduces breast movement and associated pain and may reduce the risk of long term breast sag. Giving girls the right information at an early age can improve their body image and even encourage greater take-up of sport at school.

“Mouthguards are a compulsory part of PE kit for schoolchildren when playing hockey and rugby and I want to see sports bras for girls become the same.”

Sweatshop women’s wear buyer Amanda Brasher said “Sex education is part of the national curriculum and there appears to be plenty of information on sexual education and health but breast health and the issues associated with this are largely neglected. We are excited to be working with the University to help de-mystify the subject and encourage girls to feel more confident about their bodies.”

The University of Portsmouth and Sweatshop will deliver educational workshops on breast health to five schools in the UK as a pilot scheme starting in September.

The Portsmouth Research Group in Breast Health recently hosted a workshop for teenage girls taking part in the Channel 4 “Sex Education Show”. The girls spent the day hearing from Dr Scurr about the importance of breast support and seeing live demonstrates of how breast movement is researched in the laboratory.

The youngsters watched as models with sensors attached to the breast area ran on treadmills placed side by side. The sensors were linked to computers where the results of the breast moving at different running speeds and even at a walking pace are demonstrated graphically on screen.

Dr Scurr said: “Experiments like these demonstrate clearly that breasts move up and down, and also side to side and in and out. Graphically the picture is shown as a figure-of-eight and crucially, breasts move as much during slow jogging as they do at maximum sprint speed. This makes wearing a sports bra as important if you jog slowly as if you run at faster speeds”.

She added: “Pain and discomfort is not linked to the size of a woman’s breasts. An A cup woman could be prevented from doing sport just as much as a woman with FF cup breasts”.

Dr Scurr continued: “The right support can make a difference and our challenge now is to communicate that to young women nationwide, and we hope to achieve that by taking the Breast Health Education Programme into schools”.

Replies

• hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I've had 32GG boobs since the age of 14 and wish I'd supported them a lot better early on, spending years walking about without a bra on at all! I'm 24 now and there no where near as pert as I would like. I mean, I know they're never gonna stand up like a pair of B's but now I even wear a sports bra to bed to defer the dreaded sag as long as possible. They get strapped to my chest during exercise, I just wish I'd have looked after them more in my teens.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Can only be a good thing!
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    I think they should be educated, I do not think they should be required.
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    Yeah, no. School locker rooms are way to crowded to change bras on top of switching to a P.E. uniform. Not to mention that sports bras have very little support, which makes more than a few girls feel uncomfortable (including me).
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

^^^This, its not a safety issue as such so shouldn't be compulsory.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i think they should lower the cost of sports bras as an incentive to buy them (i need new ones but eek the price to replace them all)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    i think they should lower the cost of sports bras as an incentive to buy them (i need new ones but eek the price to replace them all)
    Good point, at £30+ a pop that would be a real strain on families.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Good point, at £30+ a pop that would be a real strain on families.

What they need is cheap, sexy sports bras. I can't see many girls wanting to change bra for PE, but I have sports bras I wear all day, and I guess more girls would be happy to do that.
  • pdpmcm1980
    pdpmcm1980 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mouthguards weren't compulsory when I played hockey at school and I'm not *that* old?! (denial)

I think that girls should receive information about the benefits of good, supportive bras as well as how to check for lumps etc as part of female health education, but I think that the decision to wear them should be up to the inviduals. At that age, there are a lot of growth spurts and girls may be at a different stage of development from their peers. Buying sports bras to keep up with this can be costly!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I didn't need a bra until I was 16. It would have been embarrassing to have to wear an A cup sports bra which I was unable to fill. It was bad enough measuring 4'8" at age 14 in netball... Educated, not required.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Mouthguards weren't compulsory when I played hockey at school and I'm not *that* old?! (denial)

I think that girls should receive information about the benefits of good, supportive bras as well as how to check for lumps etc as part of female health education, but I think that the decision to wear them should be up to the inviduals. At that age, there are a lot of growth spurts and girls may be at a different stage of development from their peers. Buying sports bras to keep up with this can be costly!

Yeah you totally bring up a good issue. Not only are sports bras expensive but they are also growing at a more rapid rate during that age so they'd have to change them out all the time. That would be SO traumatizing for your school to know your breast size and every time it changed...

This article brings up really good points. I cringe whenever I see a person with a regular bra in the gym! You don't have to stare to tell lol
  • cjcarson87
    Options
    I think the education is a great idea. Where im from (connecticut) we werent even allowed to have sex ed! they only were allowed to teach abstence so I think boob talk is awesome! lol. As so make it a requirement though I think is silly.
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it should be part of uniform though. My uniform during high school was extremely strict, didn't hurt me. It's changed since I left and when I drive past the school now they all look like a bunch of slappers. I don't think PE is the time for girls to showcase frilly, under-wired, plunge bras ....it creates far too much competition. Make them all wear ugly supportive sports bras, and then it might be about the physical education and not how good they look in gym kit. Would put all girls on an even playing field so to speak ....and surely they're far more likely to be active and enjoy sports if their boobs aren't popping out of their tops all the time.
    Having said that, I can't believe how some adults dress for the gym. Clearly not about health and fitness. And I love my TOMs shoes but running in them? Recipe for shin splints surely?
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. I never exercise without a sports bra and yet so often I see women / girls running or horse riding etc and it's clear that they need extra support. the earlier they learn the benefits and to be used to bra's for function rather than just being pretty or enhancement the better.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Education is a good thing, but putting regulations on underwear gets into a tricky, and somewhat icky, area for me.

Also, there's no safety issue here. With things like mouth guards or, more analogues to this situation, cups for guys, those protect against injuries that cause could cause a loss of function. Lack of a sports bra doesn't affect the function of the breasts, just the look. I think teaching the girls about why they need a sports bra is great and needs to be done. There also needs to be take home info for parents.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

^^^This, its not a safety issue as such so shouldn't be compulsory.

+1
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    To wear a sports bra and to inform girls/women on this is a good idea.
    The state making it compulsory is repellent to me. I think people should have the maximum amount of freedom as long as it doesn't harm others. We have that whole "Don't Tread on Me" thing on this side of the pond though the busy body do-gooders here are always trying to enforce some type of scheme IMHO.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think some education on the topic would be great but I am so over the nanny state. I do not want anyone to tell me what I should do with my child. Personally since I am bigger busted, I know what is needed so I would send one w/my daughter and educate her on its benefit. I do not want anyone to tell me to do it though.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I think it should be part of uniform though. My uniform during high school was extremely strict, didn't hurt me. It's changed since I left and when I drive past the school now they all look like a bunch of slappers. I don't think PE is the time for girls to showcase frilly, under-wired, plunge bras ....it creates far too much competition. Make them all wear ugly supportive sports bras, and then it might be about the physical education and not how good they look in gym kit. Would put all girls on an even playing field so to speak ....and surely they're far more likely to be active and enjoy sports if their boobs aren't popping out of their tops all the time.
    Having said that, I can't believe how some adults dress for the gym. Clearly not about health and fitness. And I love my TOMs shoes but running in them? Recipe for shin splints surely?

Although I agree with the notion that people shouldn't wear frilly normal bras during sport, what about the people who don't have any breast to support?

How about changing the rule: instead of having to wear a sports bra, how about disallowing normal bras? That way girls who have no breasts whatsoever can wear nothing, but girls with developing/developed breasts will have to use a sports bra.

I'm pretty certain that wearing even an A cup sports bra on non-existent breasts would result in chafing because it would be so loose. These girls should be accommodated without being embarrassed for their lack of mammary tissue.
  • pudnpie
    pudnpie Posts: 3
    Options
    If Sweatshop sell sports bras then they are bound to be making an issue out of this. Is the University receiving funding from them for their research?