Learning how to fitness, the right way

Hey y'all!

I figured I would try to briefly explain what brought me here.

In Spring this year I partied, smoked and drank so much that I felt physically sick and quit that cold Turkey June 23rd. I joined the gym then as well.

I joined to feel better and I made some progress, but I got discouraged end of August when I just seemed to develop muscle and still keep all of the fat on me. I knew I was doing something wrong.

That something was not keeping track of my nutrition and actually most likely consuming too many calories. I basically did gain muscle but also fat from wrong macros and really eating way more than was necessary even for maintenance.

(Funny; in my teens I suffered from an eating disorder and avoided calories and now I tried to ensure I ate enough to keep muscle mass and keep myself healthy. Recovery rules!)

So I signed back into my old account on MFP (I had made one back in my teens to try and restrict eating, goodness I was so lost back then), changed weight goal, bought premium and restarted this.

I really am a terrible chef. But I guess I will learn meal preps and perhaps with the help of MFP and the community I will find that sweet golden middle to weight loss and muscle gain - then maintenance. That fit life yo!

Here is my confession; I haven't gone to the gym regularly (gone like twice or 3 times) for the past 1.5 months but I am going now again (as in right after I send this message). This time I have a clear idea what to do, and new found motivation. I know I will be fruturated at myself at the gym for not being able to run my regular warm up because of my endurance having gone down during my time away from the gym. Oh well, it isn't a steady climb up ever, is it?

I am definitely a newbie to fitness, specifically the nutrition portion of it. I think now I have the right tool to help me with everything.

Gonna catch the bus and hit the gym now! Take care everyone!

Replies

• Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Like they say: you can't outrun your fork.
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Same issues here except the eating disorder....was healthy in my teens evwn tho i smoked alot of pot and i mean alot lol but i maintained a good physique and ended up getting myself incarcerated being dumb but while i was locked up i gained major weight and worked out everyday and came home looking great...came home and partied like crazy smoking cigarettes and drinking and got my gf pregnant...mind you im still a teen...so i just gave up on health and fitness and just worked and worked to provide as a single dad...and developed the "dad" bod lol so here i am to transform that back into something i can be proud of
  • xheinix
    xheinix Posts: 12 Member
    Barfly57 wrote: »
    Like they say: you can't outrun your fork.

Very true indeed. But now I will grab the right things with that fork and then I will run (and lift)
  • xheinix
    Same issues here except the eating disorder....was healthy in my teens evwn tho i smoked alot of pot and i mean alot lol but i maintained a good physique and ended up getting myself incarcerated being dumb but while i was locked up i gained major weight and worked out everyday and came home looking great...came home and partied like crazy smoking cigarettes and drinking and got my gf pregnant...mind you im still a teen...so i just gave up on health and fitness and just worked and worked to provide as a single dad...and developed the "dad" bod lol so here i am to transform that back into something i can be proud of

You will get there for sure with time and effort of course. Let's learn how to do this and do it well! :)
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    xheinix wrote: »

You will get there for sure with time and effort of course. Let's learn how to do this and do it well! :)

Im ready to learn trust me lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    1.5 months not that bad - might be surprised how fast the aerobic comes back.

You are also young - don't be surprised if the muscles/tendons/ligaments come back fast to support that aerobic warmup.

But to play on the safe side - be careful on that part, injury as trying to come back, because it doesn't feel that hard, stinks.
  • xheinix
    heybales wrote: »
    1.5 months not that bad - might be surprised how fast the aerobic comes back.

You are also young - don't be surprised if the muscles/tendons/ligaments come back fast to support that aerobic warmup.

But to play on the safe side - be careful on that part, injury as trying to come back, because it doesn't feel that hard, stinks.

I always stretch and warm up even before entering the gym. On machines and body weight exercises I also try to focus as best as I can on correct form.

If something breaks that would suck but as I said it is never a steady road up. Challenges will always come along the way.

But thank you I will try my best to not get injured :smiley: