South Beach Dieters

Options
Hi all!

Starting Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet today! I love this diet mainly because it doesn't feel like you are on a diet at all and it really does work! I will say that Phase 1 is challenging and more "diet-like" since you have to cut out all starchy carbs. Any others out there familiar with the South Beach Diet? I'd love to have this be a support forum for this diet!

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sure. :happy: Very familiar with it.
  • ddworin
    ddworin Posts: 1
    Options
    I started Phase 2 a little more than a week ago after finishing Phase 1. I would have loved to remain on Phase 1 because the weight loss you see in that phase is very motivational -- but it's not sustainable as a lifestyle to cut out fruits, carbs and the occasional glass of wine for the rest of your life. After all, South Beach is about having a healthier life -- not just dropping weight only to gain it back. :-)

So far, I've lost about 12 pounds (I'm 5'4 and 41 years old) since I started South Beach in early July. The bulk of that weight loss was on Phase 1. I still have 15 more pounds to go before I reach my goal of 130 -- but I feel really confident and motivated to do it. I've got my mind made up that I'll wear my "skinny" jeans by Halloween. :-)

I combine South Beach with a daily eating goal of 1,200 calories each day, and I'm sticking with that calorie total for Phase 2, as well. I'm also following the C25K program, which gently prepares you for a 5K run. I exercise on a treadmill for 30 minutes each day as I follow that program (available as an iPhone app) and I burn about 200 calories each day that way. So, between the 200 calorie loss I "earn" through exercise and by staying at a 1,200 daily calorie intake (about 400 calories less than my BMR), I run about a 600 calorie deficit each day. Since it takes 3,500 calories to burn a pound, it takes me about 6 days to lose one pound. I get motivation and stick-to-it support through reading and following the advice in Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution" -- which is basically a psychology book that helps teach you how to boost your mental resolve about lose weight. It has been a huge help to me, and I would recommend it without hesitation.

One of the most important things that I have done is to honor an agreement that I made with myself to NOT eat food that I haven't planned to eat. If I didn't expect to eat it, I just don't do it. I stick with what I planned and I only eat that.

Good luck with your diet! Phase 1 is great -- a bit of a struggle in those first few days, but the weight loss you get is really nice!
  • lizbollini
    Options
    Wow! Great job! I'm very familiar with South Beach and it CAN be very challenging in the first phase. I'm with you, wish I could stay on Phase 1 because of all the weight you do lose in that phase, but you are completely right, this diet is not designed to work that way, plus I NEED my fruits :) I just ran my first 5K on July 2nd, it was awesome! I plan on running another in September. Good luck with your 5K journey :) Do you do weight or resistance training? Building muscle will help you burn a ton more calories and help you reach your goal much faster and plus add toned muscled at the same time.

I started Phase 2 a little more than a week ago after finishing Phase 1. I would have loved to remain on Phase 1 because the weight loss you see in that phase is very motivational -- but it's not sustainable as a lifestyle to cut out fruits, carbs and the occasional glass of wine for the rest of your life. After all, South Beach is about having a healthier life -- not just dropping weight only to gain it back. :-)

So far, I've lost about 12 pounds (I'm 5'4 and 41 years old) since I started South Beach in early July. The bulk of that weight loss was on Phase 1. I still have 15 more pounds to go before I reach my goal of 130 -- but I feel really confident and motivated to do it. I've got my mind made up that I'll wear my "skinny" jeans by Halloween. :-)

I combine South Beach with a daily eating goal of 1,200 calories each day, and I'm sticking with that calorie total for Phase 2, as well. I'm also following the C25K program, which gently prepares you for a 5K run. I exercise on a treadmill for 30 minutes each day as I follow that program (available as an iPhone app) and I burn about 200 calories each day that way. So, between the 200 calorie loss I "earn" through exercise and by staying at a 1,200 daily calorie intake (about 400 calories less than my BMR), I run about a 600 calorie deficit each day. Since it takes 3,500 calories to burn a pound, it takes me about 6 days to lose one pound. I get motivation and stick-to-it support through reading and following the advice in Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution" -- which is basically a psychology book that helps teach you how to boost your mental resolve about lose weight. It has been a huge help to me, and I would recommend it without hesitation.

One of the most important things that I have done is to honor an agreement that I made with myself to NOT eat food that I haven't planned to eat. If I didn't expect to eat it, I just don't do it. I stick with what I planned and I only eat that.

Good luck with your diet! Phase 1 is great -- a bit of a struggle in those first few days, but the weight loss you get is really nice!
  • Cchappell10
    Options
    Hi there,
    CONGRATS to both of you!! And good luck on your 5K's. I can't say anything cool like that, LOL.
    I did South Beach for about 2.5 months starting New Year's Day and lost 20 pounds! After a few months off, I have gained almost 10 back, so I started back up last Monday (7/25). I am on day 9 and have lost 4.2 pounds so far. Stoked!!
    Earlier in the year I came across an amazing website, from a gal who's been living the SB lifestyle for several years. Almost daily she spotlights new recipes, and has years' worth of recipes at your fingertips. Truly is awesome. Most of her recipes even have step by step pictures! Enjoy!!

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
  • lizbollini
    Options
    Nice! Good for you! I think I've seen this website before, good stuff! Good luck with SB, I'm on Day 3 :) Going strong!