LONG RANT... but please, i need advice.

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    BTW yes you should weigh it to get an accurate number ... here I just wanted to see a rough estimate.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    matti422 wrote: »
    Get a kitchen scale an weigh food for accurate recording. And do some weight training in addition to the cardio. But also consider investing in a scale that measures muscle mass, body fat, and estimated base metabolic rate. I was gaining weight on 1200 calories a day, and started losing when I upped my intake to 1800 after getting a BMR test that indicated I had a base rate or 2200 calories.

Im so confused. How did you gain weight on 1200 calories ?? I will never get this. I thought you only gained weight by eating more than you burned...:(
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There are ways to control your calories without logging,, the stoplight system is one IF is another, the smaller plates, 1/4 protein 1/4 carbs and the rest veggies is another. But if you want to eat whatever you like whenever you want you need to weigh to control portion size and log to make sure you don't go over maintenance
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "Smothered in pesto". That right there is one of the reasons you need to log. Pesto is pretty much just oil. Delicious yes but a calorie bomb, you can't go to town with it.

Your exercise means diddly if you don't have your calories in check. If you do lose what you've regained you need a better exit strategy for maintenance because as yet, you haven't got the skills to maintain your losses.

Just checked pesto sauce and a half cup came in between 460 and 620 calories, depending on the source and recipe.

That's would be a huge portion of my daily diet and wouldn't leave me much room to eat anything else.

I can't even imagine using half a cup of pesto at a time. I use an ice-cube's worth (I make my own and freeze it), which comes out to *maybe* a quarter cup, if even that... Half a cup would be drowning it!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reality check. I have been logging my food since I made this post. Now, lets hope I see results!

I have carefully read all your comments and will be applying the tips you all gave me!

Good on you! Looking forward to a positive update a few weeks down the road!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    "Smothered in pesto". That right there is one of the reasons you need to log. Pesto is pretty much just oil. Delicious yes but a calorie bomb, you can't go to town with it.

Your exercise means diddly if you don't have your calories in check. If you do lose what you've regained you need a better exit strategy for maintenance because as yet, you haven't got the skills to maintain your losses.

Just checked pesto sauce and a half cup came in between 460 and 620 calories, depending on the source and recipe.

That's would be a huge portion of my daily diet and wouldn't leave me much room to eat anything else.

I can't even imagine using half a cup of pesto at a time. I use an ice-cube's worth (I make my own and freeze it), which comes out to *maybe* a quarter cup, if even that... Half a cup would be drowning it!

I have a recipe that calls for 3/4 cup for a package of pasta...plus veggies and meat...and cheesex4...

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options

Yes, well, she did use the term "smothered in pesto". That suggests she's drowning it.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Op , every time I get off the wagon and gain weight it's because I stopped logging. At the time, I swear I am not eating enough to gain weight. I'm so convinced it's something wrong with the scale, or me, medically...lol
    I blame everything except my eating habits. I am active, I work out.... how can I still gain weight?
    I swear, the minute I start to log my food the pounds comes off. I'm not 100% accurate when I log, but I log everything. Even a bite of pizza.

Please, buy a scale and start doing this. You will be amazed!

You should definitely weigh every day IMO. The more data the better. If you go weekly, you may weigh on a water retention day. I know a lot of folks don't like weighing but I really don't understand that mentality. Nothing sneaks up on you if you weigh often.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sounds like the answers you need are in your own post: "I loosened up on my diet'" "Diet is not bad but not great'" "I treat myself a couple of times a week," "Large salad with lots of pesto and cheese."
    Last time I loosened up on my diet, I gained 90#. You are exercising a great deal, but remember, you cannot out train a bad diet. So, perhaps go back to what you did to drop those 30#. Then if you need to (for your sanity), find a way to treat yourself that keeps you in that calorie deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Op , every time I get off the wagon and gain weight it's because I stopped logging. At the time, I swear I am not eating enough to gain weight. I'm so convinced it's something wrong with the scale, or me, medically...lol
    I blame everything except my eating habits. I am active, I work out.... how can I still gain weight?
    I swear, the minute I start to log my food the pounds comes off. I'm not 100% accurate when I log, but I log everything. Even a bite of pizza.

Please, buy a scale and start doing this. You will be amazed!

You should definitely weigh every day IMO. The more data the better. If you go weekly, you may weigh on a water retention day. I know a lot of folks don't like weighing but I really don't understand that mentality. Nothing sneaks up on you if you weigh often.

and imo I don't think weighing everyday is a good idea if it is going to cause stress.

and if you log accurately and consistently using a food scale and correct entries weight doesn't sneak up on you.

I weigh myself maybe 1x a month if that...and I consistently maintain when I want or lose when I want.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    matti422 wrote: »
    Get a kitchen scale an weigh food for accurate recording. And do some weight training in addition to the cardio. But also consider investing in a scale that measures muscle mass, body fat, and estimated base metabolic rate. I was gaining weight on 1200 calories a day, and started losing when I upped my intake to 1800 after getting a BMR test that indicated I had a base rate or 2200 calories.

Im so confused. How did you gain weight on 1200 calories ?? I will never get this. I thought you only gained weight by eating more than you burned...:(

Some people will trash there metabolism by eating very little and then their BMR goes way low and then if they are not very active, they will have a very low TDEE.
    e

THEIR metabolism isn't trashed unless it's an ongoing situation that has lasted a fairly long time...such as and ED.

and no gaining on 1200 isn't going to happen even with a child.