Pumpkin!!!

Options
Hi guys! Happy Fall!!
My question for you guys is incorporating canned pumpkin (and it's calories) into my meals worth it nutritionally? Or will it be empty calories?
I looked at the label of generic canned pumpkin, and for 1/2 cup it's 50 calories and 11g of carbs (3G of dietary fiber) , 0g fat, and 2g of protein.
Would it be worth it to mix a few tablespoons into my oatmeal?
What other healthy ways do you like to use canned pumpkin?
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• anewell28
    anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I mostly use it in oatmeal, smoothies, baked goods, and pasta sauce.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Oh, and nutritionally, it's like eating winter squash (because it essentially is a variety of winter squash) (I'm assuming you're eating plain canned pumpkin, not the stuff called pumpkin pie filling). It's a vegetable. Why would you think a vegetable is "empty calories"?
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a baked pumpkin pudding recipe that I love and make for dessert every couple of weeks. Tastes like the pie, but without the crust. Yummers.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I make pie or pancakes and then give the rest to my dog. It's good for his digestion. :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I make pie or pancakes and then give the rest to my dog. It's good for his digestion. :)

so good for them! My friend has a golden retriever with, ewwww, anal gland issues and the vet said feed him an apple and a scoop of pumpkin from the can and all the problems went away!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    anewell28 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Happy Fall!!
    My question for you guys is incorporating canned pumpkin (and it's calories) into my meals worth it nutritionally? Or will it be empty calories?
    I looked at the label of generic canned pumpkin, and for 1/2 cup it's 50 calories and 11g of carbs (3G of dietary fiber) , 0g fat, and 2g of protein.
    Would it be worth it to mix a few tablespoons into my oatmeal?
    What other healthy ways do you like to use canned pumpkin?
    Thanks everyone!

Hell yes!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked about this. Now I want some oatmeal with pumpkin and spices for breakfast. Cold weather will get here before too long and I'll want something besides the ever present Greek yogurt. :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

We do this too! Made pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes last weekend. We put the rest of the canned pumpkin in a Kong for our dog and freeze it. She loves it and it keeps her busy for quite a while :)
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I give it to my dog. He's fat so while my other dogs are getting kongs full of peanut butter, he gets one with pumpkin in it.
  • ZoneFive
    edited October 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    I have a baked pumpkin pudding recipe that I love and make for dessert every couple of weeks. Tastes like the pie, but without the crust. Yummers.

Share?

I'll post it as soon as I get home. Probably this evening.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    anewell28 wrote: »
    ? Or will it be empty calories?

If you want some pumpkin, and if fits your macros, have pumpkin. Don't worry about nebulous terms like "empty calories".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love it mixed with Greek yogurt and sweetened with splenda. I add some pumpkin pie spice. It's also good with cottage cheese that way. I sprinkle that with nuts or flax meal and have it whenever.

I also do the oatmeal thing.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin, 3tsp pumpkin pie spice, 12oz almond or cashew milk (unsweetened ) 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional ) 1tbsp honey , ice, blend
  • ZoneFive
    edited October 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ZoneFive wrote: »

Share?

So -- the baked pumpkin pudding is borrowed (and barely tweaked) from the Smitten Kitchen website. She's a bit chatty in her posts, so here's the recipe straight up, with my tweaks noted.

Pumpkin and Sour Cream Puddings

Yield: 7 to 8 half-cup puddings (or four one-cup puddings, which is how I do it)

Pudding
    1 3/4 cups (from a 15-ounce can, 415 grams) pumpkin puree (unsweetened; not pumpkin pie filling
    1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar (or the equivalent in bulk Splenda; you could use Swerve but I don't like stevia)
    1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) table salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 cup (237 ml) whole milk
    1/2 cup (118 ml) heavy cream
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Topping
    1 cup (227 grams) sour cream
    1 tablespoon (13 grams) granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) vanilla extract
    (I've never made the topping; I like my pudding naked)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

The quickest method: In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the pudding ingredients.

For creamier, silkier pudding: Combine pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium-high. Once glurping and simmering in the pot, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The mixture will thicken and get a bit darker. Reduce heat slightly and whisk in milk and cream. Off the heat, slowly whisk in eggs.

Both methods: Divide between 7 to 8 ovenproof 6-ounce (or four 8-ounce) pudding cups or ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until puddings barely jiggle when shimmied and/or a knife tip inserted into the center of puddings comes out clean. Try not to overbake.

While they bake, combine topping ingredients in a small bowl. When the puddings are cooked through, transfer to a cooling rack on the counter and leave oven on. Spoon 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixture onto first pudding and use a small offset spatula, butter knife or spoon to quickly (it will get melty fast) spread it over the top of the first pudding. Repeat with remaining puddings.

Return puddings to oven for 5 more minutes, then cool completely at room temperature, about 1 to 2 hours. Chill until ready to serve. (Personally I like them better warm.)

Nutrition for 4 one-cup servings:

calories 192
    Total Fat 14 g
    Saturated Fat 8 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 4g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 135 mg
    Sodium 253 mg
    Potassium 419 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 11 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A 189 %
    Vitamin C 4 %
    Calcium 14 %
    Iron 7 %

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin makes a yummy toast spread too! Toast with pumpkin, cottage cheese and some peanuts on top is so good.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    2s51xhrfkg5x.jpeg
    In the pumpkin category, I made mini pumpkin pies with pumpkin Greek yogurt, mini graham cracker crust and low-fat whipped cream.