Keto/Low Carb without Gallbladder

Options
I have been a yo yo dieter for as long as I can remember. I usually find dieting ok, I lose the weight and then totally miss out the maintenance.
I've been trying all my usual stuff since May and have lost very little weight in that time. It's been a real struggle.
Hubby has started Keto diet and I'm joining him. It goes against every instinct and everything I've known about losing weight, but I've got to try something different.
I've done quite a bit of reading as I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago (probably due to the many years of low fat diets) There are many opinions on how to do keto. I'd just like some advice of whether it really is worth doing, whether I need to do anything different due to no gallbladder and whether my health is likely to improve.
Cheers
Karen

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I suggest you join the Low Carb group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I help mod there, and we have several old threads on this topic and a few folks who are keto with no gallbladder and doing well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you have no gallbladder, I would not recommend Keto. In order for Keto to work, the carbs calories are largely taken up by fat. Fat is not your friend; not any more.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cholecystectomy/expert-answers/gallbladder-removal-diet/faq-20057813

According to the link above, small meals are better.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Dieting is okay-ish, because you'll only be doing it for a short while. But just okay-ish is not good enough - that's what makes you want to make up for lost time when you hit goal weight. I think what you need to do now, is to figure out what it is you're doing when you diet, why you end up going back to overeating afterwards, and why you can't even stick to it now.

Keto might be a good match for you, but it won't speed up weightloss, only reduced calorie intake will do that. It's also very restrictive. You may find the restrictions freeing, or, well, restrictive. Only you will know.

I too used to eat low fat, and allowing more fat was scary, but wonderful. I never went keto, just moderately low carb, around 50% fat. It was very easy to do and I could eat normal, delicious meals. My diet is more varied than ever, so I feel healthy and fully nourished, very relaxed around food, and I have no problem maintaining my weight.

I also have no gallbladder, and I too suspect I messed up with low fat for so many years. I have no problems with digestion of fat, no pains anymore. I occasionally had some brief attacks for a while, my system needed getting used to more vegetables and fat, I guess, but I haven't had any for more than a year now.
  • karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have an attack, but it's very rare these days.
    After taking 5 months to lose 9lb, I need to try something different. Hubby is doing keto as his cousin has lost a lot of weight following it. Eating the same as my husband will make life easier. We know this isn't a forever diet, but intend sticking to low carb once we've lost weight
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I fuss because I am a grandmother. At least that is the excuse I use. You are grown up and know your body best. If you have an attack, please consider adjusting your diet to fit.

I understand how eating together might make it easier.

Watch your portions of fat, because they add up quickly.
  • karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am doing ok on this so far. Only on fourth day, but felling ok. Not getting cravings or feeling hungry. Just hope the scales show a loss on Monday.
    We are in France for a couple of days, dieting seems easier here as the fresh fish and vegetables are so much nicer!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am doing ok on this so far. Only on fourth day, but felling ok. Not getting cravings or feeling hungry. Just hope the scales show a loss on Monday.
    We are in France for a couple of days, dieting seems easier here as the fresh fish and vegetables are so much nicer!
    Don't worry about what the scale says on a random day, it's just one data point of many. Water weight fluctuates. Change of routines influences water weight dramatically. And even if all variables were the same, there is no way you can see for certain whether you are losing weight just by one or a few weigh-ins. I think your yoyo-ing has a lot of its foundation here - you focus on the short term outcome, instead of building sustainable habits, and you don't understand what you can and can't control. IF you're having a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder and I do keto. It went against my instincts as well.. FAT plus no gallbladder equals sitting on the throne in agony, right? Nope.. actually it has greatly reduced my IBS! "Now I have constipation issues :neutral: " But since I was always rushing to the throne before and was afraid to go for a walk cause I never knew when it might "hit".. This is a welcome, if slightly uncomfortable, relief. Lots of people with no gallbladders have zero issues with this WOE. There may be those that do, but I haven't asked who has, just "is it possible" like you. And all who responded were those who are successful on this diet. Also, I did my own research. Keto with no gallbladder.. google it. I've only been found this since July 16th this year, soo.. 3 months? But I've lost 27 lbs already. I'm also hypothyroid so weight loss isn't easy to begin with. Not a miracle diet, but a miracle for me!
  • NicoleandChris637
    Options
    I have been a yo yo dieter for as long as I can remember. I usually find dieting ok, I lose the weight and then totally miss out the maintenance.
    I've been trying all my usual stuff since May and have lost very little weight in that time. It's been a real struggle.
    Hubby has started Keto diet and I'm joining him. It goes against every instinct and everything I've known about losing weight, but I've got to try something different.
    I've done quite a bit of reading as I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago (probably due to the many years of low fat diets) There are many opinions on how to do keto. I'd just like some advice of whether it really is worth doing, whether I need to do anything different due to no gallbladder and whether my health is likely to improve.
    Cheers
    Karen

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18 I am now 35. I have lost weight easily with regular diet and excersize. Nothing special. Our gallbladder holds the bile to digest our food so, digestion is a little harder for us. Just eat small amounts at a time.
    You do not have to do keto but,if you want to you will be fine.
  • pjrobbins
    pjrobbins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Berg trying to do a keto diet without a gallbladder is not going to work well. he has a supplement called Gallbladder formula to aid you in this process. I have tried keto for months and never lost a lb but every one is different. I believe that MCT oils are the key to helping you get into ketosis. Read the book Keto Clarity for details of what to do and not to do for help. Good luck.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The problem you are having is you keep doing "diets". You need to stop picking diets to lose weight, you need to instead find a way of eating that you can follow for the rest of your life - that you enjoy, that is practical for you, and that you can feel full at the right calorie level to lose weight and eventually to maintain weight.

If you think that could be keto, then maybe you have finally found it. But if you think you are going to do keto until you lose the weight and then go back to eating "normally", you will probably continue being a yo-yo dieter.

I would strongly suggest you join the low carb group in @baconslave reply and see if there are many folks without gall bladders finding success doing LCHF.

Whatever you decide - good luck!