Is cholesterol in Fish any better than that found in red meat?

Options
I have had people say to me that cholesterol in prawn, salmon and mackerel is better than that found in red meat or butter etc...

Is this true? or is it just the nutritional aspects and antioxidants that are better.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are the qualifications of these people or what sources do they cite? I'd never listen to what random people told me about foods, I'd research it myself and determine if there was any basis to their claims.

Do you have any reason to think they're right?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You should ask them why they think that. They probably won't have a good answer.
  • okanaganselect
    okanaganselect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They are likely not comparing the cholesterol in the food, but the amount of saturated fats, which raises the level of cholesterol in your blood. A beef steak has over 3 times as much saturated fats as a Salmon fillet of the same size.
    Hope this helps :smiley:
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The cholesterol in food is not what affects your body.

Your body produces lots of cholesterol. Some people unfortunately have a genetic predisposition to their body producing too much or the wrong kind.

A lot of doctors are still behind the curve on this. Way behind.

For example they used to tell you (some still do) not to eat egg yolks or only have 2 eggs a week but that is false. Egg yolks are good for you.

There is now evidence that excess sugar in your diet is what affects your lipid levels. This goes along with insulin resistance.

I'm no expert so do some research on it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are the qualifications of these people or what sources do they cite? I'd never listen to what random people told me about foods, I'd research it myself and determine if there was any basis to their claims.

Do you have any reason to think they're right?

This.

And I don't care about cholesterol in foods (and my personal cholesterol is fine). I do try to consume more fish and other seafood than red meat, although I eat both, but it has nothing to do with cholesterol.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    The cholesterol in food is not what affects your body.

Your body produces lots of cholesterol. Some people unfortunately have a genetic predisposition to their body producing too much or the wrong kind.

A lot of doctors are still behind the curve on this. Way behind.

^This. The media demonizes cholesterol as a scare factor for promoting diet plans that you will pay for if you're stupid. Your brain is mostly made up of cholesterol. Cholesterol in food does not directly raise blood cholesterol.