Max amount of wt lost in a wk.. let's hear it here!

Options

Replies

• DanielleGrubaugh2014
    Options
    I would never encourage people to lose wt by doing it unhealthy. I simply was curious to know how well this MFP app works for people and their wt loss. I can't control what others do. I apologize if this post is offensive to others. My max amount I've ever lost on weight watchers was 5lbs in a wk, doing it the healthy way.. however I realize it was not all fat loss. Any high number lost in a wk or in a day is more than likely water wt loss along with fat loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    8lbs.... from food poisoning...
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't find this offensive at all! It's a great question. Don't read into it----just look at your past weeks' weights. For me, I have lost 5 pounds the first week of my diet. Then it levels off to 0-2 lbs per week. I have always recognized that those 5 pounds were mainly composed of water weight, but that was OK. I was on my way! I usually start out weighing 125 and my goal is typically 105. I always figured people with a lot to lose would have a bigger first week loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The largest drop I ever have recorded over a 7-day period is 10.8 pounds, from January 1 to January 8, 2013. You can maybe guess why I dropped a lot of weight over that time period. ;)

Food baby?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    About 20lbs... but that was after giving birth. I don't know if I would go through all that just for the number on the scale though ;)

But otherwise my losses are slow and steady.. and my results are very sustainable.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, after a Caribbean cruise I dropped 10+lbs in a week.

The heat, extra salt in the food, and flying, had me not fitting into my clothes the 2nd week, and the only shoes I could wear were flip-flops.

After a decadent 2 weeks I got home to find I had gained 1lbs a day.

After 3 days I started peeing like an elephant! This lasted 2 days and by the end of the week I had lost over 10 lbs but gained 2 lbs from my leaving weight.

I now handle my Caribbean cruises a lot better- drink lots of water and choose food with less salt. Still put on water weight, but nothing like that initial trip.

Cheers, h.
    Oh, that was the Panama Canal- I saw the locks lay upside down on a lounger (feet in the air) with ice bags around my feet. B)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

After 3 days I started peeing like an elephant! This lasted 2 days and by the end of the week I had lost over 10 lbs but gained 2 lbs from my leaving weight.

Sounds like me when KFC came out with the Georgia Gold tenders. There's a screenshot of my recollection of events that followed somewhere around this message board, but basically, I ate the tenders meal, gained 4 lbs over a couple of days, peed for 2 days straight, then wound up 2 lbs or so lighter than before I had the meal.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Someone who had a baby should chime in... I bet they have a HUGE loss!!!

I lost 2lb in a day when I gave birth....... baby was 1lb 8oz of that
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I finally clipped my toenails this morning and lost 7#. :/

How did you get your shoes on with nails that long? B)

Cheers, h.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    10lbs but that was because I bloat a lot when I get glutenated and then once I heal boom it is off.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I recently lost 17 pounds overnight -hadnt eaten that day either so it wasnt food weight it was water and fat ripped violently from my body- i was VERY sick. Ended up in the hospital and still am trying to put my weight back on, 10 of it stayed off. Which is kind of scary, Im not very big I didnt have 10 pounds to healthily lose let alone in a few awful days. Super NOT worth it the most humiliating traumatic awful night of my life.

Slow and steady, Much nicer.

On a non sick note my first week here i lost 9 pounds lol. Bit interesting to think me 110 pounds ago lost 9 in a week with all the initial loss, And me at maintaining 130 pounds was able to lose 17 in 1 night. I truely hope that sickness on no one ever. Was working in a hoarders den that had stacked stuff as far back as the early 70s....god knows what i unearthed and inhaled that had been growing there for that many years...so glad its gone
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    4kg in my first week of logging on MFP. From 141kg to 137kg. I also stopped drinking at the same time, so it was mostly water. It settled down to about 1kg a week after that.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    OP you will find a lot of "I lost xlb in the first week" or after a certain binge (new years for example) or those of us who had babies - I went from 94kg to about 86kg (about 16lb) after the delivery of my second child.

the point others are making is that the scales are a really really bad example of the weight loss journey. For example I weigh in every saturday. 2 weeks ago I lost 3kg, the following week I gained back 2kg. so far this week, im on track to loose those 2 again. BUT if you look at the previous 4 weeks, I lost about 2kg overall - so 0.5kg a week. A nice healthy weight loss. I also lost around 2-3cm (1inch) from each of my bust, waist and hips, and dropped a pant size. And this morning I was able to do 10 press ups - something I have NEVER been able to do, every.

So when people are saying just looking at the weight is unhealthy, they are right, because apart from the first week, and the very rare week during the journey, the most anyone SHOULD be losing a week is about 1-2lb a week. Anything more than that puts you at some serious health risks and is NOT something you should be aiming for.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Cynthia1066
    Cynthia1066 Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I lost nine pounds last week (my first week). Mind you, I started at 295# and I expect half of that was initial water loss. If I could maintain a loss of two pounds a week for a while, I would be happy. I'm not willing to starve myself -- the point is to get healthier and happier.

I lost 30 pounds in three weeks from dysentery when I was in Afghanistan. Everyone said I looked great -- but I don't recommend that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No idea how much I lost in a week but I lost 25 lbs in less than a month while my diabetes was untreated. I don't recommend it. I felt like I was starving to death, because I literally was, due to my liver not recognizing insulin, and kept stuffing myself with Halloween candy. I was probably eating 3000 + calories / day and wasting away.

In college I lost 12 pounds in a week when I had mono...

I think this thread has the potential for abuse by people wanting to lose in unhealthy ways. There's just too big a gap between safe and healthy amounts of weight loss and what people are used to seeing in advertisements for fad diets. For what it's worth the recommended maximum loss per week is 1% of your current weight. So if you weigh 250 you might be able to lose 2.5.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    wectmall wrote: »
    I don't find this offensive at all! It's a great question. Don't read into it----just look at your past weeks' weights. For me, I have lost 5 pounds the first week of my diet. Then it levels off to 0-2 lbs per week. I have always recognized that those 5 pounds were mainly composed of water weight, but that was OK. I was on my way! I usually start out weighing 125 and my goal is typically 105. I always figured people with a lot to lose would have a bigger first week loss.

Just curious - don't take offense -- but how many times have you been through that cycle? How many pounds have you lost losing the same 20 lbs over and over? Or do you typically not make it to your goal?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I finally clipped my toenails this morning and lost 7#. :/

:s:s
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lost 7 lbs my first week back in January when I started losing - but I was also 300 lbs at the time.