Women and Strength Training

Options
Dispelling the myth that all women need is cardio.
http://jcdfitness.com/2011/08/attention-women-heres-proof-that-lifting-heavy-weights-will-not-make-you-big-and-bulky/

Christine Beauchamp has competed in two powerlifting meets
christine.jpg

Neghar Fonooni trains using olympic lifts
neghar.jpg

Neither of them look bulky to me.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Women need to do strength training to avoid the "skinny fat" look. No need to worry ladies - we don't have the testosterone needed to "bulk up". Too much estrogen flowing through our systems to be bulky. :) So. Don't be afraid of the weights! :)
  • cindy0716
    cindy0716 Posts: 135
    Options
    Using weights, even light weights, helps our bones grown stronger also - which is really important for most women. Don't want to be osteoporotic in our old (and middle) age.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    They both look amazing!

I also LOVE Erin Stern! She is a real inspiration to me!

erinstern1.jpg

nabb_2.jpg
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's tempting to say that women will not bulk up. As a trainer, I used to tell people that....But some, do, and they know it. There are different body types. Usually the women who do, don't seem to mind. But most don't. Regarding osteoporisis, ACSM conducted a study back in 2004. They found that what helped women increase the bone density (over hormone replacement therapy, calcium and traditional "light strength...15 reps....and other weight bearing exercise) was 6-8 repititions of heavier weight.

The group was tested with 5 exercises.
    1) lat pull
    2) Row
    3) squat with barbell
    4) Dead lift
    5) Leg Press

These were all women in the beginning stages of osteoporosis and with osetopenia.
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    I personally LOVE strength training! Cardio, I only love after I'm done and got through it! ha.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    It's tempting to say that women will not bulk up. As a trainer, I used to tell people that....But some, do, and they know it. There are different body types.

I've seen people say this, and I don't doubt your experience, but I wish I could see some photographs of women who have bulked up or something because maybe it's just that my definition of "bulking up" is different from theirs.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's tempting to say that women will not bulk up. As a trainer, I used to tell people that....But some, do, and they know it. There are different body types.

I've seen people say this, and I don't doubt your experience, but I wish I could see some photographs of women who have bulked up or something because maybe it's just that my definition of "bulking up" is different from theirs.

If you type "women bodybuilding" into google there's some scary *kitten* in there.
  • tlrunyon
    tlrunyon Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm short and staulky. I have a lean tall friend. Bulky? No, but I tend to see more muscle definition. Because I do see this I've always wondered how hard/easy it would be for me to "bulk-up" if I lifted serious weights. The pic of Erin Stern(?) in the black outfit looks awesome...can I look like that????:explode:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

I have seen pictures of extremely bulky looking women along the lines of Arnold. I'm sure they are the few. Isn't that due to some kind of steroid use or something along those lines as well? Even in women? I'm ignorant about the topic but would like to know the answer.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! I'm currently doing "New Rules of Lifting for Women." Hoping to look half as good as these women.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jamie Eason too, from bodybuilders.com
  • gdengler
    gdengler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They do look great, and it can be done but keep in mind they are probably at their competition fat percentage which requires some pretty hardcore diet and exercise routines to get to, let alone try and maintain. They are still inspirations nonetheless!!! :-)
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Christine Beauchamp has competed in two powerlifting meets
    christine.jpg

she looks different when she's powerlifting though. check out the pics on her blog. she's pretty awesome... and crazy strong.

http://fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com/
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes those "scary" ones on google are often using steroids/testosterone
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm shortish, and my muscles tend to be 'bunchy' - they are well defined and chunky and not long and lean. It would be very easy I think for me to bulk up some - and truth be told, I'm OK with it. I enjoy weight training and I like the look of muscle definition, chunky or not, over flab and flapping skin!
  • ts014
    ts014 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jamie Eason too, from bodybuilders.com

wow! just looked her up and she is my new inspiration! she is built but still looks very feminine! love it!

http://www.jamieeason.com/photos/view/?cid=26175_image_112
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I'm shortish, and my muscles tend to be 'bunchy' - they are well defined and chunky and not long and lean. It would be very easy I think for me to bulk up some - and truth be told, I'm OK with it. I enjoy weight training and I like the look of muscle definition, chunky or not, over flab and flapping skin!

Same here, but I guess I wouldn't refer to that as "bulky." But I guess I just have a different definition than some. I've also come to realize that I'm not going to change the actual shape of my muscles -- I'm never going to look like a ballerina, so I might as well make what I do have look the best it can. :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options

I have seen pictures of extremely bulky looking women along the lines of Arnold. I'm sure they are the few. Isn't that due to some kind of steroid use or something along those lines as well? Even in women? I'm ignorant about the topic but would like to know the answer.

Well yeah, but those women make looking like that their full-time job (or nearly so) and I'm guessing quite a few of the seriously Arnold-looking ones also have the help of drugs. They aren't the average woman doing some curls and squats with a trainer.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Same here, but I guess I wouldn't refer to that as "bulky." But I guess I just have a different definition than some. I've also come to realize that I'm not going to change the actual shape of my muscles -- I'm never going to look like a ballerina, so I might as well make what I do have look the best it can. :)

yeah I'm a brick *kitten*-house too...I will never be a ballerina either,there's nothing I can do about it...doesn't mean I don't lift weights though lol
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    I'm short (4' 10") and I'll bulk up in a heart beat without any drugs to assist me. BUT... they will only grow to a certain point and then stop. That's ok with me.

My idol (or inspiration) is Ernestine Shepherd). She's a 73 year old body builder/fitness trainer and she looks amazing. It is my desire that when I am her age I'm still in the fitness lifestyle.