Best exercise for fat burning

Options
What is the best exercise to burn fat?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the nonsensical heart rate chart on my gym's elliptical machines. It's something like 70% is fat burning zone, 80% is performance improvement zone, and 100% is aerobic something or other zone. Like, I'm burning fat at one level of exertion but not improving my aerobic performance and working less hard will burn fat etc. What is actually consistent and logical is that the harder and longer I work the more calories it tells me I've burned.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    happyvez wrote: »

A calorie deficit and the exercise that you'll do...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I enjoy spirited hours long bike rides. And long ski tours. Can burn huge numbers of calories because I can do them so long; I can (and I'm willing to) devote lots of time to these because I love doing them.

No exercise is intently better than any other for fat loss, it's purely a matter of calories burned vs eaten.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens when you consume fewer calories than you expend.

In respect to fat/weight loss the fuel source is immaterial (the fat burning zone is really only of significance to endurance athletes as your body can usually store enough glycogen to fuel 90 minutes or so of moderate exercise, even a 140lb marathoner with 10% body fat has thousands of fat calories available o fuel their run)

Having said that, studies have demonstrated that people who exercise regularly are more likely to keep the weight they've lost in the long term.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens when you consume fewer calories than you expend.

In respect to fat/weight loss the fuel source is immaterial (the fat burning zone is really only of significance to endurance athletes as your body can usually store enough glycogen to fuel 90 minutes or so of moderate exercise, even a 140lb marathoner with 10% body fat has thousands of fat calories available o fuel their run)

Having said that, studies have demonstrated that people who exercise regularly are more likely to keep the weight they've lost in the long term.

I believe those studies also showed that the majority of maintainers identified walking as their primary form of exercise. So although it might not burn the most calories, figuring out how to work more walking into one's daily routine is probably a good place to start.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I could burn more calories faster by running than cycling, but I don't enjoy running and I love cycling. In reality I won't run more than half an hour (last 5k took 29:12) but I'll ride for two hours after work if I can.

@MegaMooseEsq if walking is something you'll do (not you specifically), the real calories from that trump the potential calories from something else.

Also, even as a cyclist, I walk throughout the day for all kinds of reasons and it's amazing how it adds up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    happyvez wrote: »

Exercise increases energy expenditure....exercise in and of itself does not result in fat loss/burning fat. I'm in maintenance and I exercise regularly...I'm not losing fat because I'm not in a calorie deficit...exercise does not default to a calorie deficit.

Calories are a unit of energy...when you consume more energy than your body requires to maintain the status quo, that excess energy is stored as body fat...it's stored energy...basically your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that deficiency has to be made up...so your backup generator kicks on and you burn excess body fat for energy.

As exercise goes, you should do whatever you enjoy doing...that's pretty much the only way you're going to stick to anything. Getting in regular exercise shouldn't be thought of as some temporary thing while you're trying to lose weight...exercise is forever and IMO as as, if not more important to maintaining weight than losing weight.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I could burn more calories faster by running than cycling, but I don't enjoy running and I love cycling. In reality I won't run more than half an hour (last 5k took 29:12) but I'll ride for two hours after work if I can.

@MegaMooseEsq if walking is something you'll do (not you specifically), the real calories from that trump the potential calories from something else.

Also, even as a cyclist, I walk throughout the day for all kinds of reasons and it's amazing how it adds up.

Oh, absolutely. I was more trying to speak to your last sentence, that more walking is something that most people could benefit from working into their routine, on top of whatever else they might be doing for fitness. And walking seems to be a form of exercise many people find sustainable, which really does seem to be the key to success.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I do stuff like park on the far edge of the lot, walk to run errands when possible, etc. I don't think of any of this as exercise. Before I had a tracker, I didn't think of any of this period.

At the end of a typical day that I went to work, I'll burn 400 to 500 calories just from walking. At my weight that's 4 to 5 miles. I have a thousand steps when I get to my desk. It adds up. It's easy and refreshing and relaxing most of the time too. I don't have to put special clothes on to hi for a walk. There's really a lot going for it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Energy deficit...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Deficit causes your body to burn stored fat. Exercise just increases the deficit and may increase your resting burn. That said, I enjoy going out for a run. I also burn calories painting the house but that is less burn and less fun.