Serotonin Diet? Losing weight on Ads

Options
Hi

I'd love to meet anyone who is following the Serotonin diet or a similar regime, for weight loss specifically linked to gains from AD medication.

Having been a healthy weight all my life until about 10 years ago when I started taking ADs permanently, my weight's crept up and up each year until I'm now 30lbs overweight. Looking back, I realise that I put on weight in the past each time I was on ADs but as I was well within a healthy weight at that time, I didn't really notice the link.

I've only recently discovered the Serotonin Diet and it seems pretty similar to how I used to eat before I was on ADS and put on weight - a natural desire for low fat, low protein, high complex carbs and veg. It's so unfashionable right now. Everyone is low-carbing and I feel a bit isolated trying to explain that low fat carbs are what I need medically.

Has anyone tried this successfully while still on ADs? I want to come off them eventiually but this year is not a good time, so I want to try, finally, to stick to a diet that's tailored to the probelm of AD weight gain.

It would be brilliant to find some allies in a similar situation and even more brilliant to meet anyone who has successfully lost weight this way.

Thanks

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    And now that I've Googled, it's not even designed to address the issue of weight gain from anti-depressants, it's designed to boost your serotonin levels via diet. You could incorporate its principles, presumably, and see if it has any positive affect on mood for you, but to lose weight it's still all about your calorie intake.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Many antidepressants can make you feel lethargic while increasing your appetite. A recipe for disaster in regards to weight gain. It really means that you need to get up and moving despite the protests your body gives you, while dealing with the fact that you feel hungry when you have really had adequate amounts to eat. Not an easy task but doable. On a positive a good workout can increase endorphins which can help with depression.

I believe you are on the right path not following a low carb diet which can have the side effect of decreasing your serotonin levels and energy levels, which is the last thing you want. Plenty of wholegrain, complex carbs with fruit and vegetables sounds like a great way to go. Like Nono_Mouse suggested, make sure you still get adequate amounts of fats and proteins though. Sticking close to the macros given on MFP should give adequate moderate amounts of both protein and fat.

Good luck. Just continue to believe in yourself and that you can do this.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Tavistock, we know it. But acting on it is a different thing. How to act on it when you are drugged up to the eyeballs with a medication that makes you just want to eat biscuits and sleep is the specific problem I need to overcome. When I weasn't on drugs, I ate less, moved more very easily. Now I find it impossibly hard. The willpower button in the brain seems to be switched off. It is a specific drug related problem. Has no one else had this issue?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    By the way, I am not on meds but do suffer depression, anxiety and PTSD. Comfort eating was a huge part of my life before I made huge lifestyle choices. I am now a healthy weigh and in maintenance.

I understand your feelings about not feeling in control. My life always feels like I am out of control. Exercise and watching what I eat is the one thing I feel I have control over.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nony, I used to do yoga until a few months ago, and loved it. But had to give up temporarily due to work schedule and dind't go back to it. I need to restart. And yes, probably do need to discuss meds. Though I've tried pretty much everything on the market over the years. It's a long term thing, not a blip. Just can't work out if I'd be better off thin, sad and mad as I was before than fat, sluggish and a bit less mad. :smile: